PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel Question about models?

Kameel
02-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi all, I'm currently working on my modeling demo reel, and I was wondering do I necessarily have to texture the human models? I can texture everything except human models. Can I just make them look like statues? Also, how is this done. The white porcelain looking statues? Thanks for any help.

newellteapot
02-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi! of course you can. If you want to show your model you can just render it with ambient occlusion, it makes the details more visible.

Blackravensky
02-27-2007, 04:31 PM
A more correct answer would be...of course you can, just dont expect a whole lot of job offers. Texturing and modeling go hand in hand, and if you are seeking employment, demonstrated knowledge of both is highly desireable. Trust me, a few weeks or months of practice (and frustration) will definatly pay off in the end. good luck!

twedzel
02-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Check out

http://www.metamesh3d.com/

This guy has beautiful models structurally with good topology. Please whatever you do, don't do the typical glitsy VFS model reel thing with posed textured models that look all spiffy and great as you do some camera flyby while ignoring your wireframes.

Show the model off with unashamed rotations. Show the wire frames for more than 1 and half seconds. Textures are wonderful but if you are a serious modeller really show off the form and topology... then the textures.

EricLyman
03-04-2007, 05:09 PM
A more correct answer would be...of course you can, just dont expect a whole lot of job offers. Texturing and modeling go hand in hand, and if you are seeking employment, demonstrated knowledge of both is highly desireable. Trust me, a few weeks or months of practice (and frustration) will definatly pay off in the end. good luck!

That's not true. If you want to be a modeler, then don't waste your time learning about textures, put that time in to learning MORE about modeling. If you have any talent, then you will have no trouble getting job offers with just grayscale/occlusion models with wireframes. And in any case, it would take more than a few weeks or months to learn enough about texturing to make any kind of impression.

Please whatever you do, don't do the typical glitsy VFS model reel thing with posed textured models that look all spiffy and great as you do some camera flyby while ignoring your wireframes.

...?! What? I don't know about you, but those VFS reels look great. You should definitely show your wireframes, don't try to hide them. But making your demo 'Spify' just shows that you have good artist sensibilities overall. And it makes you more memorable, which is important when employers have to go through hundreds of reels in a day.

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2007, 05:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.