PDA

View Full Version : Miroring limbs ?

ckaos@om
02-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Hey peeps : currently unwraping a model and i was wondering what would be the best thing to do in miroring the textures : should i miror each halfs of the limbs ( boots , legs , whatever)
or should i miror the limbs themselfs : ie the left leg, right leg etc ...always from the point of view of optimising texture space ???
Help would be really apreciated !

SPyDeR WeBz
02-27-2003, 04:21 PM
The best way i think is to view your model and think were would the seams come in if i do this. I used to mirror half my whole model left side to right, but then i thought man their is going to be this line in the middel of my model especially if the texturing isn't good.

So you got to view were seams would look ugly the best way is if you can hide the seam like in the back of the shoulder or under the arm pit for the leg it would probably be near the crotch area or in the back of the knee.

Hope i've given you somthing to think about and i hope i've helped at least a little with my babble.

Cya man
SPyDeR

ckaos@om
02-27-2003, 10:27 PM
thanks a lot, that was quite usefull!:thumbsup:
That was No bable but quite usefull explanation :)
Cio !

Ecanem
02-27-2003, 11:55 PM
Most characters look more interesting if they're not mirrored.. think about it.. It's like the "twins" in animation.. avoid if possible (i.e. enough texture space)

sadist
02-28-2003, 01:16 AM
Depends.
For less important characters I'll generally keep them entirely symmetrical as it's not worth wasting the extra texture space. Regardless of the final outcome, if the mesh is symmetrical, I'll only map one side, and then mirror the mesh and co-ords afterwards.

For important characters, it comes down to the design. I'll mirror as much as possible, but keep certain areas asymmetrical, eg the chest, face. Sometimes I'll keep the upper arms symmetrical and wrist sections different.. just depends on the design. But really, if you're not going to make both sides radically different, theres no point in making them asymmetrical.

I also rely on asymmetrical model detail to break things up, eg a diagonal weapon belt or something can be mapped straight, but the underlying mesh can still have symmetrical texture. I'll generally pump the polies a bit if it means I can get alot more texture usage.

On the subject of seams, I generally leave them down the inside of the leg, bottom of the arm, and weld the side of the back/front if the mesh isn't too tapered or curvy.

Just re-use as much as possible. If it's not going to look noticeably different, it's not worth halving the texture res.

Ecanem
02-28-2003, 01:25 AM
Exactly what I meant.. only couldn't find the words..
well spoken sadist :applause:

Tylak
02-28-2003, 06:10 AM
If I'm making an articulated character I like to mirror the limb's textures, but for the body and head sections I draw the complete texture. Mirrored textured usually look fine unless they are seamed together or if they're too unique.

..... wait I think that's what sadist wrote.... just read his post.

/me gets what he deserves for not reading the whole thread.

tpe
02-28-2003, 11:01 AM
You can also mirror the limbs in all but a small area, then use that area to stop them from being symetic. As for seams, keep them next to the body, on the inner leg or where there is going to be a change in texture anyway. mirroring within a single limb is not usually a good idea as the lighting changes on the inside and outside and you cant do that if they are mirrored. As for mirroring on the body, i usually mirror the sides of the body but not the front and sometimes not the back depending on the amount of texture space i have.

tpe

ckaos@om
02-28-2003, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info Sadist, Tpe and everybody else of course!
Very interesting stuff!:applause:
Since i always found uv space to be not quit enough, so this all will come handy indeed !
Well , going back to tweaking those uv !:airguitar

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.