PDA

View Full Version : Character Topology For Animation?

josiah
02-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Does anyone have any good resources that demonstrate on how to model a characters joints such as shoulder, hip, knee or elbow so that they deform correctly when animated? Especially with low poly models?

I have searched and havent found much. Certainly there are methods other than just creating alot of loops at the joint?

Thanks for anything you can share.

simonMTL
02-26-2007, 03:45 AM
There is a freaking lot of tutorial on this subject. It is a very but boring but important part of 3d. Normally you will find these tutorial on the typology model rigging.

So you tape the name of the software you use and model rigging on goggle.

I have just begun animation completly alone 4 months ago and you can look on my site what a could achieved.

http://www.techenroute.com/simonmercier/

Hope it help.

twedzel
02-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Experience. Rigging up a few models will teach you exactly how to model for deformation. You can also just rig up body parts as excersises. Model... rig it up and try to get the deformations working right. Slap on a texture and check the surface deformations with a proper render. Pretty soon you'll start noticing what works and what doesn't. It's a longer road but the only way to do it properly is through experience. Tutorials can't really teach you this stuff... its you have to know by doing it.

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2007, 11:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.