PDA

View Full Version : Question about structure guideline things.

almostkungfu
02-18-2007, 03:28 PM
I've been drawing using structure guide things for a long time now. Like, to draw a head, I do a ball-and-cone, and then a cross on it, and bla bla, and then I draw the real head on top of that. You get what I mean?

Well, I've expanded my area of learning now, to the whole body, not only the head. But when drawing the body, I haven't really fixed any guide system like that.

I really thought everyone used guides and such for drawing heads, but I found out lately I was wrong. ^_^

What I'm wondering is:
Should I work to free myself from the guide system? Does it restrain me, or help me? Should I create a system of the same kind for the body, to learn quicker? Or wouldn't it help? Do "masters" use guides like this? Do you use it? What's your experience on the subject?

Mu
02-19-2007, 10:47 AM
well, being a total noob on the matter you should take what I say with a grain (or some good spoonfuls :D ) of salt, but...

I was actually really fond of the Loomis framework for full figure sketches from imagination. It establishes a simplified bone structure which you sort of upholster with muscles and skin.

But when I read Ryder's book he says that people who try to make use of frameworks like this one (another one being the Loomis ball-and-plane framework for the head construction) build up an abstraction and then feel confused if the result does not look like the real thing.

Based upon that confusion they postulate the existence of a mysterious talent to create believable forms and, seeing that their drawings fail to do so, come to the conclusion that they don't have it.

That really struck me, because that was a bit the way I was thinking before I read his book.

So, his approach is to do away with frameworks and just learn to perceive the real thing for what it is.

You need a life model for this of course. And a lot of time.

So, if both are not available, you're stuck with a framework, I guess... because I can't imagine not using any framework when working from imagination. Even as complex a framework as Dr. Bone's one is still a framework, so when you're stuck without ref...

almostkungfu
02-21-2007, 02:02 AM
Thanks a bunch, it really clarified a lot. But this Loomis framework, where can I find that? Or any other framework of this kind?

I think I'll stick with frameworks, but still, work to not become to dependent on them.

Mu
02-21-2007, 10:37 AM
the loomis framework is introduced in both

- "Fun with a pencil"

and

- "Figure Drawing for all it's worth"

do a search on all of these forums at once with "Loomis", maybe you still find a link or two.

This is what I could find doing a google image search on "Andrew Loomis":

http://www.irananimation.com/images/education/Loomis1.jpg

EDIT: And do check out Doctor Bone's threads in the sketchbook and tutorials sections. In there you will find breathtaking drawings (a lot of those) and every now and then complex frameworks for poses without refs.

almostkungfu
03-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Acquired his books now.. Man, thank you for this, these books are really awesome! Thanks thanks thanks! :D

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2007, 11:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.