PDA

View Full Version : Moving Foundation License

philhoole
02-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Does anyone know if license transfer can work when moving from an already activated Foundation v6 install on XP to Vista? How would I go about this? Is it even allowed?

BTW - I don't want any "advice" on why I don't want to move to Vista. That's for me to decide ;)

LemonNado
02-18-2007, 01:10 AM
afaik the license is granted in relationship to your network adapter. So, there should be no problem. But, I don;t know anyone who has done that yet.
But one thing is for sure: It is allowed. You can even install it on another PC while seizing to use it on the current one. In that case, you would have to contact SoftImage and get a new key. That is free of charge.
The worst which can happen is that, for some strange reason, the license server does not accept the same key under the new OS on the same machine. In that case, you can get a new one.
I would only switch when i am 100% sure that the graphics drivers are working with SoftImage XSI. I have no personal experience, but have heard from several sources that there are difficulties. Those diffuculties will probably vanish in a few month when all manufacturers have settled in.
Cheers
Rainer

philhoole
02-18-2007, 02:02 AM
Thanks - It is reassuring that I should be able to move my license.

I am currently in the phase of making sure that ALL my hardware works with Vista before going any further. Don't want any nasty surprises!

Phil

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2007, 02:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.