PDA

View Full Version : Rockcity WIP

byvfx
02-18-2007, 12:12 AM
this is a sketch that i had been working on.. i plan to make a 3d animated matte shot out of it.
the architecture was inspired by some ryan church concept art.

http://www.brandonyoungdesign.com/rockcity2.jpg

JJASSO
02-18-2007, 07:01 PM
it{s looking nice, I think you mean star wars concept are from ryan's right, to m,ake it more original I would try to do the same sci fi architecture along the rocks in levels, and try to cenect them somehow
looking forward to see your final secuence

byvfx
03-07-2007, 10:21 AM
heres a quick update.

http://www.brandonyoungdesign.com/rockcity3_7.jpg

yellowdog
03-14-2007, 01:39 AM
great starting point !

Very realistic lighting and color palette ! I like the composition too... One thing, I think that the embeded tech elements should be a bit less conservative... as they seem to be overpowered by all that rock. I think they should spread out and feel like they're invading the rock formation.

very good start... there is something really powerfull in your sketch, can't wait to see what you do with it !!

:thumbsup:

byvfx
03-14-2007, 03:59 AM
thanks for the feedback yellowdog. i was thinking about the same thing with the architectural eletments as well. i will see what i can do. I havent shown a n update in while just becuase i been bogged down. i should be able to post something up tanglable this weekend

byvfx
03-22-2007, 12:30 PM
i think im almost done.... there are a few spots nagging at me..

http://www.brandonyoungdesign.com/rockcity4_2.jpg

Inlakechh
03-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi Brandon,

this looks very nice, but in my opinion the buildings are too to dark and contrasty to integrate well with the Landscape. Some few parts look a little bit strong saturated related to the distance in space that they are in.

keep it up :thumbsup:

byvfx
03-22-2007, 06:52 PM
thanks for the feed back! after looking it for so long you lose some perspective on it.

oh i cant take credit for the BSG Viper there either my friend mike hanson modeled that up.

Artbot
03-23-2007, 05:38 PM
These are a great start. Other comments here are good, particularly concerning contrast. What leaps out at me is that the buildings' surfaces seem very shiny, and if so, they would have much more bounced color from the red rocks in them. They would have more of the rocks in the primary reflection, but the "color bleed" from the rocks in that bright desert sunlight would be pretty significant. Also, the blue they have in their reflections is too saturated for the washed-out blue sky above. Your shadows also need to get progressively darker where the structures and rocks meet.

milanschere
03-24-2007, 04:32 PM
from a compositing point of view i'd say the ship and the metal objects need more grain to match the photo. lighting vise i think the main structur is way darker on the shadow side than those man made add ons. but the image is developing nicely and i'm sure it'll turn out goode.

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2007, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.