PDA

View Full Version : Another Challenge...suggestions

RiKToR
02-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Well that Atlantis challenge had some great enteries, I think its about time for the second matte painting challenge... heck the lighting guys had like 4 since ours ended.

Suggestions anyone?

kbarts
02-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Yeah, a matte challenge will be good. But i do not have any original idea:sad:

ZaneV
02-18-2007, 10:02 AM
How about, whats beyond the clouds or something like that? ... aparently there is just more air and atmosphere beyond clouds but what if they supported crazy massive cities that float around trading... fighting... spying on each other? I know this isn't the most original idea but it would make a nice matte painting... a cloud city... or multiple.

Anyways, perhaps this is an idea you guys could use

ZaneV

miguelslo
02-18-2007, 02:27 PM
what about a city, a town, a city, whatever, half destroyed, with a big crater caused by an asteroid or a meteor.....

or

just something SCARY

JJASSO
02-18-2007, 05:50 PM
comments are welcome I think it is time for a new challenge, I will try to get some VIP judges and I hope ballistic support us in this one as well

crazybread
02-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Hmm, How about an under ground temple or some sort, or catacombs or a treasure cave. Don't know why my mind is telling me "underground" hmm. I missed the Atlantis challenge, hopefully I can participate in the next one.

Matellis
02-19-2007, 06:09 AM
I think it would be neat to have a concept presented and then we all have to try and turn that one concept into a matte painting. I think that would be very interesting.

Cheers!

kbarts
02-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Do you think it could be work if we get a template referec photo as it was on the pluginz challenge? And we could do sci-fi or anything else from the original picture?

SweD
02-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Matte is not my best technical skill, but it was a great experience to do the Atlantis challenge. I'll be happy to get again together with members of digital matte painting section so if i've free time for the second challenge, i'm in ! ;)

SamsonsReaper
02-19-2007, 12:28 PM
i think a futuristic challenge would be great, takes alot more work then doing nature landscapes

crazybread
02-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Hey I like the futuristic theme challenge. like a spaceship or something, or a spacestation, or a hangar, hmm Anyways whatever it is lets just get on with it! Want to do stuff!

Artbot
02-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Okay, it's settled then: We'll do a futuristic underground spaceship hangar!

Actually I like that idea. :-)

I keep coming back to the idea that this should actually be more of a matte painting challenge (a photo-real image suitable for use in a movie), rather than another exercise in design & illustration. I loved the Atlantis entries, but it was a stretch to label some of those as "matte paintings". Perhaps we should start with a common image to work from (say, a grandiose cave interior) and work from there?

Example images (too low quality for matte use - just for reference):

http://hoffman.wku.edu/images/surprising%20cave.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/yuh6xz

byvfx
02-19-2007, 09:58 PM
i agree, should be fun!

georgenz
02-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Okay, it's settled then: We'll do a futuristic underground spaceship hangar!

Actually I like that idea. :-)

I keep coming back to the idea that this should actually be more of a matte painting challenge (a photo-real image suitable for use in a movie), rather than another exercise in design & illustration. I loved the Atlantis entries, but it was a stretch to label some of those as "matte paintings". Perhaps we should start with a common image to work from (say, a grandiose cave interior) and work from there?

Example images (too low quality for matte use - just for reference):

http://hoffman.wku.edu/images/surprising%20cave.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/yuh6xz

I agree. Whatever it is, the main focus should be on realism rather than designing cool-looking space stations, fantasy castles, destroyed cities or the likes. I'm sure there is a topic/subject out there that would give a break from all the usual stuff we've all seen a million times and possibly something you would get as an assignment in the real world too.

I would suggest we do a set extension (for an imaginary film), all starting from the same plate with the difference being the genre chosen by the entrants. Would be nice to remove Sci-Fi and Fantasy from the genre list just to stretch everyone's minds. It's good to try new things.

Some genre's: Horror, Action, Thriller, Sci-Fi, Drama, War, Western, Supernatural, Faith, Noir, Comedy, Mystery, Fantasy, Documentary.

RiKToR
02-23-2007, 06:49 AM
Set extension is good... I also think, though I got some great photos for the underground space ship hanger, that we should try to eliminate cliche pieces. Atlantis was unique in that we did not see those underwater shots every day. Just my opinion of course. For those who have seen the second Dylan Cole Gnomon DVD, my though on the set extension would be like the china example.

JJASSO
02-23-2007, 05:53 PM
well this is the second thread about the next matte painting challenge and most of you guys would like a sci fi matte painting, wich I agree as well, let me know and I will make the proper challenge thread

everlite
02-24-2007, 04:53 PM
I agree, but maybe it needs a more focused brief other than just sci-fi. Not sure, just something that will give a common element. Like atlantis the common element was atlantis itself however it was illustrated. But Sci-fi alone just feels a little open. Maybe you could write a very loose scene from a fictional film and the artists has to interperate that.

I'm sure it will be fun :-)

Suirebit
02-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Sci-fi is a vague theme...we should have a more precise topic, otherwise judging will be hard.

Set extension is good as long as a starting photo is given to all participants, for equal start.

But why not continuing this original and myth line? Let's have for the next challenge a topic like: Olimp or Asgard (city of gods) or The 7th Wonders of the Ancient World?

Inlakechh
02-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi,

interpretation of a story is a thing I really would like to do.
On the other hand, it's nice to have total freedom. Sci-fi Hangar sounds great.

I think the judges should take the concept art into the rating beside the resulting final painting.

nickmarshallvfx
02-24-2007, 11:24 PM
I like Suirebits idea, that had my mind racing straight away, and Riktor, I have always wanted to try a set extension like Dylan does in his dvd! Sci-fi hangar could be cool as well... I think we need Jamie to pick one coz he's the boss, but Im definitely in, and looking forward to it! Its times like this I know I want to matte paint for the rest of my life, coz Im getting butterflies in my stomach at just the prospect of another challenge :D

georgenz
02-25-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi,

interpretation of a story is a thing I really would like to do.
On the other hand, it's nice to have total freedom. Sci-fi Hangar sounds great.

I think the judges should take the concept art into the rating beside the resulting final painting.

This forum is about Matte Painting, not coming up with concepts. Hence, the competition should be more geared towards techniques rather than who has the best concept (should be a separate forum for Concept Art). The best way to do this is to put limitations on what you can and can't do (this would also happen in the real world in the form of a brief). Just my opinion :)

This also levels the playing field for those out there that may not be so good at concepting. If concepts are taken into account in the judging it should be a very, very small part of the overall result.

However, if it does end up being Sigh-Fi (spelling intentional), then limiting it to a hangar or something would a good idea. I'd even like to propose turn an existing photo of a hangar into a sci-fi hangar.

everlite
02-25-2007, 01:32 AM
I'd even like to propose turn an existing photo of a hangar in a sci-fi hangar.

Hangers ok with me, whatever it is i think having an original plate is a good idea. Keeping it as close to a real world brief is must.

So director James, what's our latest brief? ;-)

Inlakechh
02-25-2007, 10:11 AM
This also levels the playing field for those out there that may not be so good at concepting. If concepts are taken into account in the judging it should be a very, very small part of the overall result.

ok ... thats right.
I completely agree with you that if its taken into consideration, it should take a small part of the result.

Timmay
02-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree with the set extension idea as long as we all start with the same plate. Doing an "invisible" matte would be really cool.

nickmarshallvfx
02-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Yea an invisible matte, or completely photoreal would be great! I see a lot of mattes that are actually photoreal but are too unbelievable coz they are OTT on the sci-fi or whatever, so it would be good if people were trying to do mattes that people actually could look at and say 'where did you take that photo, its amazing?'

byvfx
02-26-2007, 01:51 AM
yeah i second the invisible matte. I think this will really push peoples limits, and would be a great learning experince.

crazybread
02-26-2007, 03:15 AM
Great, whatever it is, lets do it, and not just talk about it! :scream:

everlite
02-26-2007, 05:40 AM
I agree, we need to stop talking about it. Even if we can't come up with celeb judges or fantastic prizes this time ( though prizes are good :-) We need to move this idea forward.

Cheers - Dave.

AnimZiggy
02-26-2007, 10:55 AM
this time I'll try to finish mine:) need the practice.. sci-fi yes with set extention defo, what's the director's choice?

Artbot
02-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I still like the underground/cave hangar idea. And I'd really like to see everyone start from the same bg plate and do whatever they want wiyth it (within the realm of the assignment, like "sci-fi hangar"). It would be fun to see how different the ideas people come up with are.

And yeah, let's get moving on this!

RiKToR
02-27-2007, 03:01 AM
In the end I just want to start a matte, it really doesnt matter to me what we do.

Matellis
02-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Exactly Cliff, I doesnt matter to me just because thats how it would be in a studio , someone gives you whatever concept or idea and you have to make it. I like the idea of that for some reason.

Cheers!

RiKToR
02-27-2007, 04:36 AM
Matellis, thats a very good point. "Open Briefs" are rare and artist should be used to getting something more structured. I personally like closed briefs more because it dose create an image in my mind as opposed to thousands of variations trying to mach with the variations in a directors mind.

nickmarshallvfx
02-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Ok, that is a very good point. I think when Jaime sees this he should decide for us so we can get going :)

AnimZiggy
02-27-2007, 12:45 PM
agree on that too.

RiKToR
02-28-2007, 11:09 AM
One other way to create a somewhat realistic studio experience is that we create a large number of initial composition sketches and then say other members give opinions on the sketches (similar to that of a director) so that we know which one would be given the final sign off needed from a director to begin that matte making process, though this may be a logistical nightmare.

nickmarshallvfx
02-28-2007, 02:50 PM
That sounds awesome Riktor, although you are right, it could be difficult, and less able members may feel a bit put out if they don't get as many comments to help them continue?
It would be so cool to simulate the real-world way of getting 'greenlighted' though!

Nick

JJASSO
02-28-2007, 04:59 PM
that sounds really good guys, I like the idea of " real life experience " but this is still in the sci fi area right?? or what would the theme be ? let get this clear and after everything is set give me some days to organize everything so I can get prizes for you guys

crazybread
02-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Seems that different people want different things, I suggest a small poll between sci-fi vs. real world, with plate vs. vithout plate, Hmm but that would have to go on for a few days, Hmmm... we all want to do stuff now though, Ahh I dunno! whatever I personally like the sci-fi theme and plate photo or not, personally I don't care. :scream:

everlite
02-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Here's what we should do, The brief should be Something simple like:

Brief - Hanger/Port Matte Painting
Must have at least x1 vehicle/means of transport, x1 hanger/Port structure.
Photo realism required.

have a poll that lasts one week choosing between the two options below:

have two options:

Militry (1) or civillian (2)

Sci-fi (1) or contemprary/today (2)

Plate (1) or no plate (2)

Night (1) or Day (2)

I think with this one great emthesis should be on producing a photo realistic matte.

Any thoughts?

- Dave.

Artbot
02-28-2007, 08:54 PM
I think there's some confusion about "real world process" vs "real world image". The point is to set up a brief and present it as a real world job-like process, but that the image can be sci-fi (i.e., non-real world).

If we really want to make the process more like the "real world", it would be incredibly restricted in terms of subject, lighting and details. It would be something like: Use this bg plate, switch it to sunset, add landing pad with ceiling-mounted lighting and broken-down spaceship sitting on pad while clearly showing boarding ramp that a blue-screened actor will walk up and through a doorway. A matte painter would not have the choice of what type of vehicle it is or what time of day it is, but some freedom in thoses areas might allow for more interesting variety in a contest like this.

If everyone's behind the spaceship hangar (or whatever) idea, we should be able to download a background plate and build or paint whatever we like on top of it, with the requisite that it be at a believable, film-quality level.

Suirebit
02-28-2007, 10:43 PM
PLEASE do not make a vague theme such as sci-fi....let's focus on a precise theme...my suggestion with Olimp or the Seven Wonders was an example, but we should do something along these lines.

Give us a subject or a concept...:) Sci-fi it's just too...big.

nickmarshallvfx
02-28-2007, 11:44 PM
A poll would take a long time, and while it might show where majority opinion lays, I think Jaime should just write the brief based on what he thinks is best / most lifelike in the industry and we should just go for it. We could spend ages debating what the best theme would be, someone needs to just make a decision. I think we are all agreed tho that emphasis should be on absolute photorealism, coz thats what matte paintings are about after all :)

Nick

RiKToR
03-01-2007, 12:09 AM
As Ive said before I dont really care about what the topic is, but I agree with the fact that polls would probably result in us doing a Sci Fi one anyway, probably the hanger. So I think when Jamie has the time we should just begin, and then we all agree that the next challenge will be some non cliche genre or technical study. Agreed?

everlite
03-01-2007, 05:55 AM
I think a poll gives choice to everyone, that way the majority is happy. Personally i'll do whatever's presented but i ain't too happy with just sci-fi as the brief, it's TOO open. Doing a hanger would be good but maybe needs a little discription to focus the brief, Just something short like:

Militry hanger with alien ship or civilian hanger with cargo ship.

This could be anything, a futuristic space hanger with docked alien ship.

Area 51 style hanger with classic ufo

Doesn't have to be a flying ship could be a futuristic cargo ship (sea)

I also feel concepts and wip should be posted, though not judged on. That way everyone can learn from each others process.

Ancient alien structure just came to mind as another option.

Cheers - Dave :thumbsup:

AnimZiggy
03-01-2007, 10:43 AM
As Ive said before I dont really care about what the topic is, but I agree with the fact that polls would probably result in us doing a Sci Fi one anyway, probably the hanger. So I think when Jamie has the time we should just begin, and then we all agree that the next challenge will be some non cliche genre or technical study. Agreed?

yeah lets just start...

RiKToR
03-01-2007, 12:08 PM
As long as we confine the subject matter though, just sci fi as genre is pretty broad.

nickmarshallvfx
03-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Yea too broad...

Rockhoppermedia
03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Im up for the challenge, been looking for something different to do any way,

fed up with apocalyptic visions any way,

cheers Rich.

crazybread
03-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah, no faling down burning cities please!

So when can the actual challenge begin?

everlite
03-02-2007, 07:22 PM
I second that. Time to start the challenge me think.

:bounce: :bowdown: :bounce: :bowdown: :bounce: :bowdown: << Says me and my little friends :-)

RiKToR
03-07-2007, 11:33 PM
hmmm, and now silence.

everlite
03-07-2007, 11:44 PM
mmmm. too true :-)

I was thinking about coming up with an unofficial challenge that i had in mind if anyone's interested?

- Dave.

Matellis
03-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Well I am sure it will come. Dont forget Jaime is a busy man , and he wants to get this set up with prizes. It takes a lot more work then just starting a thread. I say just wait :D

Cheers

JJASSO
03-08-2007, 12:48 AM
hey, yeah I'm a busy man , and I will set this up as soon as I can I promise, thanks for understand me. anyway if someone is available to help me , send a private message thanks

crazybread
04-02-2007, 06:00 AM
So its going to be a month since the last post in this thread at some point soon, is this thing going to even happen? (patiently presses Submit Reply, and with other artists keeps on waiting untill something goes through). :rolleyes: , I hope the delay isn't because there is a delay on getting some prizes for this comp. If that is the case, nevermind that material stuff, lets just do this! :buttrock:

Matellis
04-02-2007, 06:13 AM
I hope the delay isn't because there is a delay on getting some prizes for this comp. If that is the case, nevermind that material stuff, lets just do this! :buttrock:

Agreed! I just want to have some fun and learn a thing or 20 :D

Cheers

AnimZiggy
04-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Agreed! I just want to have some fun and learn a thing or 20 :D

Cheers

i second that about the prices. but as jamie said he's very busy so we got to be patient ;)

everlite
04-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey guys, i think it's more a case of time and commitment needed to manage the challenge, it's a little tough when you have work and life commitments. Though i'm sure we can easily come up with something if we put our mind to it.

I still stand by having three options, between now and next Sunday evening, everyone responds here with a desired option; 1, 2 or 3. That way the majority speaks for what they wish the challenge to be. Then on Monday we can post up a challenge thread.

1. Eighth wonder of the world

2. Hanger

3. My home 3007

- Dave.

RiKToR
04-02-2007, 09:24 PM
1 or 2 for me, im not to keen on 3 unless its say the city I live in as opposed to my house.

everlite
04-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeh, home as in village, town and city, not the four walls kind :)

- Dave.

Artbot
04-02-2007, 11:09 PM

everlite
04-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Well for me it would have to be 3 :) taking my home town and visualising what it might be like 1000 years from now, that's cool.

- Dave.:thumbsup:

crazybread
04-03-2007, 03:14 AM
I say we are given plate photography (single frame) and do stuff. This way everyone can do something they want with the plate. This challenge could be something like "the crazy/fantastic and/or spooky challenge" the plate could be chosen by the moderator, or perhaps we can have a few days so that whoever has a good plate and/ or photo can put it up so we can have a quick vote and away this challenge begins! or we could just wait and dream how coool it would be to have a challenge. ...you know, lets be proactive here! Ohh and reallly ..... never mind the prizes, the learning here would be just as sweet!

Matellis
04-03-2007, 03:33 AM
I say we are given plate photography (single frame) and do stuff. This way everyone can do something they want with the plate. This challenge could be something like "the crazy/fantastic and/or spooky challenge" the plate could be chosen by the moderator, or perhaps we can have a few days so that whoever has a good plate and/ or photo can put it up so we can have a quick vote and away this challenge begins! or we could just wait and dream how coool it would be to have a challenge. ...you know, lets be proactive here! Ohh and reallly ..... never mind the prizes, the learning here would be just as sweet!

I agree again! plate would be sweet , maybe even a video off istockphoto , they have some sweet video plates.

everlite
04-03-2007, 03:37 AM
Given that option what would be better, a single frame or a 5-10 second DV clip (similar to those i showed from istock the other day) I think providing a single frame is more accessable everyone (all you need is Photoshop) Though providing a 5-10 DV clip is more challenging (but may require a comp program like AE, which not everyone has)

I have some pretty decent stock photography/DV that i could dig out if we go down this line.

- Dave

everlite
04-03-2007, 03:43 AM
I should say with respects to an official challenge i think the powers that be at CGtalk might get a little hairy if we launch a challenge without any moderated management, and with respects to Jaime i know he's really stack out at the moment with work. So if anything goes ahead it'll have to be unofficial and low key :)

Artbot
04-03-2007, 03:59 AM
As I said before, I like the stock plate idea too, with #1 as my choice.

everlite
04-03-2007, 04:21 AM
Here's a few optional DV plate that i have (all locked off):

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=2741880

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=2955261

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=2082699

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=2293884

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=2863656

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/industry/manufacturing/mills/2813812_rustic_old_mill_hd.php?id=2813812

And a few stills:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=1899087

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=2776863

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=1473887

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=1940581

We could use one from each.

- Dave.

crazybread
04-03-2007, 05:23 AM
Hey Everlite, I really dig your stills there, esspecially #1 & #4. Nice! As far as video is concerned, Hmm I'm up for that , but I know not everyone in a compositor or like was said above has access to compositing software. I'm for one of those stills that everlite has.. Yum!

kbarts
04-03-2007, 07:19 AM
I vote for 1st or 2nd. No movie please. But a plate will be good.
On sxc.hu (http://sxc.hu)there are a lot of free high resolution photo.

RiKToR
04-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Video would be cool, but videos from places like istock cant be used because you dont have the rights to redistribute them. I personally have some DV green screen footage lying around somewhere we could use but its a pretty open brief with the shots having only a single person in them... also that borders on compositing. Maybe we should wait for video till CS3 Extended comes out that can work with film clips :)

Personally Im up for anything, I also have some 6.1 megapixel shots that Im willing to put up for the plate.

On a side note, an issue of Computer Arts magazine did challenge a while back, giving you a number of images and you were supposed to merge them together in a creative way. For example this one had a partial sunset beach, a row boat, a penguin, and a few random textures. In the same sense we could upload some odd shots like a mess of wires, a water pipe, a roman temple, and a mid day sky and say create something using all of these images into a seamless production matte of any genre. This would encourage artist to look at the images from every angle, color, shape, etc and give us some ways to think out of the box.

AnimZiggy
04-03-2007, 01:20 PM
yah! video gets the thumbs up from me too! i got a fearly good 5mp camera and i can shoot stuff from london if u guys want(one of these days i ll get dslr)

i m not bothered with the subject really as when u get a job u dont get to choose the subject.. but my vote for time being is: 1-3-2

byvfx
04-03-2007, 03:19 PM
i like #1 and 4 on the stills as well.

JJASSO
04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
yeah guys, istockphot.com plates or photos of any kind are not allowed, I think just a few people are interested in video matte painting composition , not all people has the skills for composition , I suggest that you guys keep the idea for a still image

the administration is pending on the answer about if we can give away prizes

leigh
04-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey guys, just to echo what Jaime has already said... there will be another challenge soon. Just need to sort some things out.

everlite
04-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Cheers Leigh :) that said probably best if we hold off on some of the recent ideas for the moment.

- Dave.

Artbot
04-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah, let's think about it for another few months....:scream:

everlite
04-03-2007, 10:21 PM
No not months, rest assured things are already in motion :)

crazybread
04-08-2007, 07:24 AM
I have no idea why such a small challenge has to be soo official. I'm all for organizing it for us by us, and forget any sort of prizes really, I personally don't even care for awarding placess, just so long as we agree on a theme with some sort of poll by percentage and get some art done. it would be nice to have a place where people can comment, suggest and critique our work so we can all get better and enjoy ourselves a bit. Don't tell me this place can't organize someting like this in an hour or so. More of a workshop then anything really. We all would work on the same plate photo like we disscussed before. Does this really take that long to setup? Someone please shed some light on this. Don't we just need a couple basic rules and a go? I don't even think we need VIP judges. I think everyone should be able to vote on say 5 of their favorites if you must judge this. (sorry for this rant, but it seems nothing is getting done) its going to be 2 months at some point soon since a new mattepainting challenge was mentioned. pfft.

Matellis
04-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Yeah lets get this challenge on the go. Im sure we can all help out getting it together. And yeah I like the idea of everyone voting and not just having judges or prizes.

I like the hanger idea personally :D

So lets do this!!!

Cheers

RiKToR
04-09-2007, 02:46 PM
To be honest I kinda liked the last challenge with pros judging, I dont say it has to be done that way all the time but if it can be arranged I would like to try for a prize and some Cgtalk recognition, but thats because entering the job market soon.

JJASSO
04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm afraid this time I could not get any prizes, it would have to be of course an UNOFFICIAL CHALLENGE . and no Pro judges this time, so it will have to be a small one , unofficial , and a quieck one if you guys want, so , what I can do is open a new thread with the rules, just as I did in the last one. and of course it will be showing for a few days in the front page . so what's the theme? tell me some of themm and I will decide it with people from inside Cgnetworks administration

byvfx
04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
the hanger sounds cool to me. does it have to be futuristic?

Artbot
04-09-2007, 07:21 PM
This is getting kind of ridiculous. 2 months? It's been more like 6. I believe a new challenge was mentioned around November and was put off til the new year due to the holidays.

Anyway, for about the 5th time:

Provide a bg photo plate (a still), perhaps a cave.
Hangar theme.

If our goal is to make it more "real world" in terms of process, it makes sense to provide a very specific description, like "damaged spaceship parked in underground hangar", or some such thing. If this were an actual image for a show, the artist would not have much freedom to do what they wanted, in terms of design/era/etc.

On the other hand, since this is not an "official" challenge, maybe the criteria should be looser.

crazybread
04-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah, I agree and think since matte painting usually involves plate photography, we should all be given the same high rez still and then told what to put in it. So we not only paint but match to the plate. now lots of people would learn from that. Yeah I'd also like a cave plate if it was possible. Can we have it so that everyone can vote then (if you want voting for CG recognition that is). I also agree, with the idea beeing a lot looser. spaceships! broken or functioning. crashed, landed, abandoned, savaged, aged, I gotit! lets take a skech from Ralphs early design books, something that never made it to the screen, perhaps a view of Alderan, I remember there is a little thumbnail skech of that, and make it real looking.

Ahh, whatever! lets just get a cave plate n do this!

RiKToR
04-10-2007, 02:42 AM
I concede to what you guys decide, as a painter I rarely to get to decide the brief anyway.

AnimZiggy
04-10-2007, 01:02 PM
I concede to what you guys decide, as a painter I rarely to get to decide the brief anyway.

hey i agree too. just go for it.

everlite
04-11-2007, 06:04 AM
Hey guys,

Well i guess enough's enough now :) it's time to make a go of this ourselves and get something moving forward. I've started a thread in the main forum titled Unofficial Matte painting challenge 07. The concepts basic and simple but can allow for flexability and advance techniques while still remaining appropriate for people of all levels. Take a look, the concept itself isn't open for discussion because the more we discuss the longer this thread gets :) However the rules/T&Cs are very brief at the moment. I previously discussed this will Leigh and she said that they're maybe chance for a few prizes from Ballistic. So guys, make what will, as they say build it and they will come :) well there it is now get over there and take a look :)

- Dave.

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2007, 06:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.