PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Software - Wich Use?

Pretorian
02-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Hello,

Im a Maya user. I was thinking if I should model on Maya or use modo or ZBrush for modeling? I have heard many people talking about modeling on ZBrush and texturing and shading on Maya, but I heard about people who prefer to do all in the same app, exemple, in Maya. I wanna hear some suggestions.

If using another app, as I saw in both web sites, correct me if Im wrong but seems ZBrush is more for film/video industry? Is modo more flexible, like for modeling architecture stuff (house, table, chairs, etc..)?

In case of modeling for architecture, wich one would be more specific, modo?

Thanks

YankeesFanHB
02-17-2007, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't get Zbrush for anything mechanical or architectual...to me, the reason for getting it is hi-res detailing of organic items like faces, animals, etc. Its main modeling tool, Zspheres, is quick and easy for setting up people/animals, which you then subdivide and sculpt. But doing something like a car or building or an engine is pure madness in Zbrush.
Personally, I use Cinema 4d for modeling/texturing, but I've used Modo also and think it's great. I'm sure Lightwave, Maya, etc. are at least as good, but it boils down to personal preferece here (like personally, I hate the Maya interface, but love the C4D/Modo ones). Download some trial software, but if you're going to be doing anything non-organic, I think Zbrush would let you down here (I followed a tutorial for Zbrush modeling and almost put my fist through the monitor until I figured out what it was really good for).
Just my opinion, of course.

Pretorian
02-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Thank you Alan! Of course I wanna know your opinion, otherwise I would put the question here :) !

So, but what I understood you mean modo would be better then ZBrush for what I talked about? Because I would not change my 3D software (I can't change!).

Are you actually using C4D with modo for modeling or just C4D (I mean, today)?

Can I model in modo and import to 3D app (in my case, Maya) just to texture and render?

Thanks

Kameel
02-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I personally like to use one app also. I love Zbrush, but you start to get very dependant on it. For example I love to detail human characters in zbrush, but I noticed the other day, I caught it trying to model in max. It's like it makes you kinda lazy in your original app lol.

YankeesFanHB
02-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Thank you Alan! Of course I wanna know your opinion, otherwise I would put the question here :) !

So, but what I understood you mean modo would be better then ZBrush for what I talked about? Because I would not change my 3D software (I can't change!).

Are you actually using C4D with modo for modeling or just C4D (I mean, today)?

Can I model in modo and import to 3D app (in my case, Maya) just to texture and render?

Thanks
You're welcome!
To clarify, yes, C4D or Modo would be better than Zbrush for architectural, mechanical, 'hard surface' type modeling. I can't even imagine creating say, a car parked next to a fancy hotel entrance or an interior kitchen scene with Zbrush - it's insanity, I tell you;)
I also couldn't imagine modeling skin wrinkles or pores, or 'bumps' on a T-rex in C4D or modo, that also is madness! They each have a purpose in my world, and I just started using them together (rather smoothly, after you get the hang of exporting your model/subdividing in Zbrush/exporting displacement map/rendering in C4d).
To answer your question, I use C4D extensively, but only dabbled in Modo; but I'm impressed with it's ease of use and general quality.
I see no reason why you can't model in Modo or C4D then export to Maya to finish; Like I wrote above, I export the .obj file from C4D to Zbrush, so as long as Maya can interpret what you're sending it, texture/render it there, if you feel like it.
Good luck!

Archvilell
02-21-2007, 04:24 PM
One thought to keep in mind. Using multiple programs in one's pipeline is kind of a trade-off. Say you use modo, Maya, and a couple other programs to go from an idea to a finished, textured, possibly animated character. If you get a job somewhere and they only have one, possibly two programs in your pipeline, you have to learn another program to fix your "broken" pipeline. (Note: learning new programs is not bad; it increases versatility). The upside is now you know how to use more programs, but you don't know each program very well. It also takes time to get adjusted to the new programs. On the other hand, if you do everything in one program, from modeling to texturing to animating, you have complete knowledge in one program, so if you get a job somewhere and they hand you the license to it, you can go to work immediately and know everything about it. The downside is all of your knowledge is in one program. If you are handed a different program, all the in-depth knowledge of your favored program is useless and it takes more time to figure out the new program from start to finish.

In a nutshell:
More programs in a pipeline = more versatility and probablity of using it professionally at the expensive of less in-depth knowledge and specialization of any program.

Fewer (or one) program in a pipeline = increased in-depth knowledge at the expense of less (or no) knowledge on other programs if using a different one professionally.

My advice: pick a program you like and you are efficient in. If the program is lacking in an area, pick up skill in a different program to account for it, but attempt to learn one as well as possible. Whatever it takes to make you as an artist the most efficient is what I think you should do.

Ben Day

TCattafi
02-25-2007, 03:13 AM
There are alot of options for pure modeling. The best program is probably the one that allows you to create your vision the fastest.

I personally like wings3d. Aside from the fact that it's free, I'd probably choose it over any other software because I find I can poly model 3 times faster than in any other package I've tried.

I've also used Hexagon and Silo, I really like Hexagon, but typically I stick with wings because like I said, I find I can model faster in it :D

IMO Modo is kind of hard to get used to, my main program is 3dsmax and I found I couldn't transition easily. But I'm still very much an amateur and Modo seems to be aimed at more advanced users.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2007, 03:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.