PDA

View Full Version : Custom brush from selection in Painter X

Sular
02-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Hello,

I know that in Paintshop you can create a brush by capturing values in a selection. Is this possible in Painter ? If so, could someone explain how ?

Im aware that this is not a "classic" method, which I guess is what Painter tries to simulate, but it is mighty handy and its digital so why limit ourselves. :)

Thank for any answers,
Brgrds,
Sular

Mu
02-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi,

check out John Derry's wonderful tutorial in the CGwiki here: (http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Creating_a_Captured_Dab_Brush_in_Corel%C2%AE_Painter%E2%84%A2)

Jinbrown
02-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi Sular,

In Painter, those brush variants are called Captured Dab variants. They're used quite often in the default Painter Brushes brush library, in extra brush libraries on the Painter CD's, and by artists creating thier own custom brush variants, to get some lovely brush strokes that come closer (at times) to simulating the look of traditional brushes.

In addition to John Derry's tutorial, you'll find instructions in Painter X (or earlier version) Help > Help Topics.

One thing that might not be mentioned in either John's tutorial or in Help Topics:

When you make a "square" selection around the brush dab image, don't hold down the Shift key. Just freehand a "square" selection. If you hold down the Shift key, the Brush Selector menu command, Capture Dab, will be greyed out because Painter will think you're trying to add to an existing selection.

If I recall, Help Topics says to hold down the Shift key but that's not correct, obviously.

Happy Captured Dab variant creating!

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2007, 12:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.