PDA

View Full Version : stopping simulations or viewport activity?

oktawu
02-17-2007, 03:28 PM
hya all
this may sound as a pretty silly question, but its something thats been bothering me lately
in xsi. Whenever im using a heavy rig, or doing cloth sims with syflex or anything thats cpu
intensive, xsi seems to forget about me, and just go on with its tasks. (usually having huge delays
in responding to my input). What i mean by that is lets say i hit play and start a simulation,
then at a certain frame i want to stop it, hitting esc doesnt do it, nor does it help clicking the play button (usually works after i wait about 50 more simmed frames until xsi figures out i do want to stop it)...same goes for viewport playback, im having the weirdest response lags immaginable.
I wouldnt find this frustrating if i knew all other software behave like this, but it occured to me that in maya , hitting esc key at any point during any kind of task, stops it at that particular frame, no lags
no nothing, instant response. Its getting so nasty, that for heavy cloth sims, its easier to just kill
xsi and restart it, and reload the scene from scratch, than wait for xsi to catch up.
is there a key that stops activity in xsi and i don't know about it? or is this something normal in xsi..?

toonafish
02-17-2007, 03:47 PM
You have a wacom ?

If that's the case, try moving the pen away from the tablet after clicking the stop button.

this is still the same in 6.0, I'm amazed this hasn't been fixed yet.

oktawu
02-17-2007, 04:36 PM
hey toona
ur right, been using the wacom for so long, i didnt even bother to check this problem
with a mouse. It seems with a mouse its working ok, clicking the play button stops the sim
on the next frame, yet it does not work doing the same thing with the tablet, and even moving the pen away does not solve the problem.
so, im supposed to work with a mouse now in order for xsi to actually function properly?
jeez, isn't there a workaround...maybe a cease all processing button or something?

toonafish
02-17-2007, 06:14 PM
so, im supposed to work with a mouse now in order for xsi to actually function properly?
jeez, isn't there a workaround...maybe a cease all processing button or something?

suppose so, this was the same in 5. I suspect it's a feature to make wacom users drink more coffee.

For me it works to move the pen awaaay from the wacom. It's dangerous to stand behind me when I'm animating bacause I make this silly move with my arm all the time when making previews ;-)

oktawu
02-17-2007, 06:37 PM
i guess some people should bundle these things as features: "use a wacom tablet with xsi
and u get access to our special "bonus arm workout" feature. never before seen in any other
app. thats one of the many reasons to switch today...etc etc.
so much with the joke, but seriously, i dont think keeping a mouse handy in order to stop
xsi is a nice thing. and whats even more annoying is that using the "play" button shorcut again has the same "awesome" lag effect just like if u would do it with the tablet.
i'm not really programmer, but i fail to see the correlation between keyboard shortcuts and tablet input. Some people over at the base also suggested that this may be a wacom driver issue, but i tend to disagree as maya responds pretty spiffy when i click its stop button in the middle of a sim.

toonafish
02-17-2007, 10:19 PM
maybe you should email soft:support@softimage.com

I emailed them a while ago about the same issue and it did not help so far, but maybe when enough peeps complain it will be fixed one day.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2007, 10:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.