PDA

View Full Version : xsi on mac intel

B-Maui
02-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Hello,
Does anyone know how stable is xsi running on a Mac book pro or Mac pro , using windows as Operating System?
Thanks.

AdrianLazar
02-17-2007, 11:47 AM
as stable and fast as on a regular pc ;)
macbook, winxp, xsi 5.11

AdFont
02-18-2007, 06:26 AM
I'll second what Adrian says.
Running xsi 6 on macpro here.

SheepFactory
02-18-2007, 06:47 AM
I am getting a macbook pro soon also , glad to hear it runs fine.

solagratia77
02-18-2007, 07:50 PM
How about x64 ? (on Mac Pro)

Has anybody installed it sucessfully?
If so do you have any tips on installing it?

Or are you just using XP SP2 ?

-J

JDex
02-18-2007, 08:18 PM
I believe that Bootcamp is not supporting x64. That may change at the release of Leopard (possibly Tuesday?), but I doubt that x64 will be supported anytime soon.

AdFont
02-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Just running XP SP2 on my machine but if you search around, there have been reports of Vista, XP/64, XP Tablet Edition, and media center XP all running on Intel Macs. Check out macrumors.com, I think there are some threads about running XP/64 over there.

Font

P.S. You don't even need bootcamp if you are installing Windows on a seperate HD, as in a Macpro.

solagratia77
02-19-2007, 04:20 AM
Thanks, everyone.

P.S. You don't even need bootcamp if you are installing Windows on a seperate HD, as in a Macpro.

to AdFont > I have never heard this before.

Can you point me to some place
where I can get more info on this please...

Also I am very curious how the OS switching is done.
How do I choose which HD to boot with?

I really want to utilize my wife's Mac Pro
while she is sleeping.. :)

Thank You

AdFont
02-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Hey solagratia77

When installing XP on an intel mac, bootcamp is used to A. get specific drivers for some of your hardware so it works inside windows and B. to partition an area of your HD to use for Windows. So in a macpro there is no need to partition the HD if you have multiple HDs. Just buy another HD and use it for XP only. Then if you want you can hunt down the drivers you need for your hardware. I DID use bootcamp but only to get the drivers I needed. No need to do the dirty work when apple already does it for you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=237858&highlight=xp+bootcamp

Check this link, it talks all about it. Some guys did as I did and used bootcamp just for the drivers and some didn't use bootcamp at all. Follow the steps on that link and its easy as pie. Not sure what "easy as pie" means but it sounds good. Here's a quick rundown to what I did:

1. Download bootcam from Apple's site
2. Run bootcamp and burn driver CD (don't partition anything if using second HD)
3. Insert XP cd into superdrive
4. shut down system
5. Open up case and pull out HD with OSX on it
6. Install new blank HD in a different bay i.e. not the bay the OSX drive was in
7. Power up the computer and follow the directions
8. Install drivers burnt from bootcamp
9. Shut down and put your OSX HD back in. Now when you power on again, if you want windows hold option and a choice of OSX or Windows will pop up after a few seconds. Pick windows and it starts in windows. If you want to boot into osx don't hold option at startup.
10. Enjoy XSI in windows!

I have to say it was painless and very easy. XP has preformed great and I haven't had any prolems what so ever. Make sure to virus protect your windows HD just as you would in a regular windows box. I think that's it. Use this info and do a little more research and you should be fine.
Sorry for the longwinded post, just trying to help.

Font

solagratia77
02-19-2007, 06:13 AM
to AdFont>
Thank you so much for replying so quickly !
And thanks <AGAIN> for writing such a detailed instructions!

After reading your post and the linked thread,
it all makes sense now.
I'll try it soon.

....Make sure to virus protect your windows HD ...
Thanks, and to avoid possible problems in my Windows box,
I never use it to connect to internet.
I just connect it when I absolutely have to:
eg> activating OS, s/w and getting licenses and so on.
I do all my surfing on the Mac.

Thanks again for help.

-J
SolaGratia

B-Maui
02-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Ok guys thank you very much for all the informations provided.
Take care.

dwigfor
02-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Anyone tried it with Parallels or VMWare? I was wondering if you could run XSI and Mac apps at the same time with those.

AdrianLazar
02-19-2007, 01:45 PM
I tried to install XSI directly in OS X using CrossOver ( http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/?ad=24&gclid=CKq2monVuooCFQ5lXgodhS6IOA )
It was a long shoot and it didn't worked (i think mostly because xsi need license services and mray to run in the background and i don't think that crossover can do this, yet).
Anyway I think that in the future crossover or similar software will be a solution, to run an application directly in os x without windows.

CiaranM
02-19-2007, 03:52 PM
There is a problem with the system time when running Boot Camp, which may (or may not) impact the licensing for XSI 6.
When you boot into OS X, the system time is reset to GMT. Unfortunately when you next go into XP, your system time is screwed up.
I know this problem fecked my ZBrush license for a while. Fortunately the problem is fixed with two simple startup/shutdown scripts.
Since the XSI 6 license manager appears to be quite temperamental, I though this might be relevant.

Otherwise it's mostly problem free.

02-19-2007, 04:11 PM
I run 4.2 Fnd under Parallel flawlessly. The screen get slow when having to many polygon due to OGL issue. However, under bootcamp it flies like PC. I mainly use Mac and will boot to Bootcamp only when ned full speed 3d work, but for minor adjustment or work 3-4 hours, I will use bootcamp under Parallel, no need to reboot, it uses thesame hard drive as bootcamp only one windows installed, one intallation for each software. Indeed, I mostly run AutoCAD fulltime on Parallel.

AdFont
02-19-2007, 06:31 PM
CiaranM,

I've never had this problem, hopefully it stays that way. Thanks for the lookout though. I'm hoping that parallels will eventually support dedicated graphics and we can use XSI right inside OSX. Until then, XP has been good to me so I can't complain.

Font

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2007, 06:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.