PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Queen 'the Blue Hour', Stahlberg (2D)

Stahlberg
02-27-2003, 08:31 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/566/fairyqueen3_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/566/fairyqueen3.jpg)

Another Photoshop painting, been working on this off and on for over a week now. Comments welcome as usual.

Newsquirt
02-27-2003, 08:47 AM
beautiful!! The red adds so much...I love the sky too....New desktop!!

Very nice

Kirt
02-27-2003, 08:49 AM
right-click save as ...

I really have no critique for this one. Just beautiful in every aspect. I like your 2D stuff more than your 3D (not that your 3D isn't great). The last few posts you made here have so much more warmth and life to them than your 3D works.

Superb stuff, I hope you continue your trend of posting fabulous 2D work. :thumbsup:

trailerpark
02-27-2003, 08:59 AM
:bounce: WOW

lapin
02-27-2003, 11:13 AM
Nice lighting effect in your pict ! :p
More high res for my desktop !

Jhonus
02-27-2003, 11:16 AM
what brought on this painting spurt?

kfc
02-27-2003, 11:27 AM
it's so perfect~!

:drool:

only one thing. i do feels that it could be better if the dash of cloud above her head could move a little more at the top left corner. feels a little disturbing.

anyway, 5 stars~!!
:thumbsup:

jonaz.dk
02-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Dear Mr. Stahlberg

You will instantly have to stop painting insanly cool pics...
At some point it will drive the public mad with envy.. with bodily harm and property damage to follow..

Therefore we urge you to stop producing your works..

Or we will have to press charges..

;)

ok ok .. rock on dude.. :drool: :cool:

erilaz
02-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Stahlberg, I will never stop being amazed at your incredible talent.

Although I find myself giggling when I think of what she'd look like if she fell off!:D

samartin
02-27-2003, 11:33 AM
:eek: more awesome work, are you going for a new section in the CG Gallery of Fame "Stahlberg section"...

:applause:

LucentDreams
02-27-2003, 11:38 AM
man I know we said do less 3D more 2D but this is rediculous. Everytime I see a work of yours 2D or 3D I just wana give up and cdy, simply amazing, definite style to all your 3d works, similar colourschemes with intesne vibrant lighting and contrast using the reds and blues.

Higher res for a desktop would be nice

jadedchron
02-27-2003, 11:44 AM
is that made from scratch - completely in photoshop?

el patator
02-27-2003, 11:57 AM
:eek: ........perfect!

DimitrisLiatsos
02-27-2003, 11:59 AM
:bounce: What can i say...i feel so...so ...so small !!!!:drool:

Superb!!!. I am in love with the lady on your drawing !!!!:love:

flamedevil
02-27-2003, 12:04 PM
That's amazing :eek: , can we have a highres version (1600x1200)?

deathbard
02-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Hey I was just wondering,when you say you worked on it for a week, how many hours a day is that?
Anyways nice pic...like the dress:)

somlor
02-27-2003, 12:05 PM
Brilliant. Unbelievable. You are a true artist.

[s]

[edit] I don't think I'm alone in requesting a high-res version for wallpaper. 1280x1024 would be awesome.

Carina
02-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Very nice!

If you bring this sort of expression and life into your 3d, you will go from being a very talented 3d artist to being the master;)

FatJoe
02-27-2003, 12:15 PM
the only thing I noticed was that I think the hair looks a bit like smoke at the end..
other then that... its amazing job! :eek: :eek:

cheers mate
Joe :airguitar

Gelfling
02-27-2003, 12:19 PM
visual orgasm

the way the color's flow is ... exceptional

the hair and the pose

great piece

Eudaimic
02-27-2003, 12:29 PM
Higher res! Higher Res! :bounce:

ZVAN
02-27-2003, 12:37 PM
WoW! AWESOME! it's breathtaking even lookin at it! the pose is nice, yet the red hair hold the whole composition of it, the other side is the clouds! i really can feel freedom in this painting! LovE iT! im goona saVe A coPy!

Ilya
02-27-2003, 12:50 PM
It's beautiful and very professional! I would not be able to paint that, at least not in Photoshop.

However, I'd allow myself to tell you a few things that I think could improve it:

It's the way that the shape of the queen and the clouds are lit. More lighting from underneath would make them more present in the scene.

The gradient of the sky could be less smooth - so the warms on the bottom read more separate, rather then softly blended. The horizontal line of that color change on the sky, if pronounced, would be more realistic.

The way that the ropes and the arms are drawn tells me that the fairy queen is moving away from the ground; on the other hand, the cloth & the hair imply that she is falling down.

And lastly, the overall tonal value of the hair, I think, should be about the same as the tones of the figure - in this case, darker.

I like the palette you chose, particularly the coldness of it, though the picture seems less real because of it.

ThirdEye
02-27-2003, 01:18 PM
Great job as usual Mr. Stahlberg. I hope one day you decide to make a 3D chick in a 2D environment, it would be awesome! :wavey:

terryford
02-27-2003, 01:19 PM
She's fit! :), although I think the third bird from the left in the lower right corner needs work. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Terry

hstid
02-27-2003, 01:33 PM
Really nice painting, you've really captured the feeling that she's pulling back on the ropes and she looks happy like she's releasing her feelings. It looks like the way her rear-end has been rendered could perhaps do with a bit more work. Maybe the highlight just slightly stands out. By the way, her feet and legs look beautiful, especially the shading on her feet and up the calf muscles. I can see it's gradually getting darker as it goes up her legs, but specifically on the left hand side of the rope with the highlight, I think perhaps it looks out of place slightly. Could it be taken back a little bit so it's a bit less strong?

Anyway, you've obviously worked really hard to produce a really beautiful piece. Well done!

Frank Dodd
02-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Another outstanding piece of imaginative work, even better than the last and only a weeks worth of work? Amazing.

:bounce:

Alice
02-27-2003, 01:42 PM
Hejhej! :wavey:

Great pic, as always. but it doesnt do it for me :(
Just something missing, or the feeling thats she not realy enjoying it, its an uncomfy rope and the poor thing must be freezing... Love the hair tho!

stephen_T
02-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Great:bounce:

Obraxis
02-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Seriously, I thought that was 3D for a while.....amazing work :)

jtk77
02-27-2003, 01:54 PM
nice painting as usual.
I would asume you're using the new photoshop brushes in 7?
Very nice , looks like it could be on canvus.

Gelfling
02-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by terryford
She's fit! :), although I think the third bird from the left in the lower right corner needs work. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Terry

What bird? oh :rolleyes:

Joebount
02-27-2003, 02:05 PM
Amazing work.

Don't take it bad but I really think that your 2D is better than your 3d work at the moment (I like your 3D work, don't get me wrong)

Excellent ! :thumbsup:

gnarlycranium
02-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Besides it being a lovely pic and all... anybody but me thinking that swinging on a rope with no underpants might be uncomfortable?

MasonDoran
02-27-2003, 02:49 PM
....i dont know...something about her toe nails....they just dont fit right to me....hmmmm

actually my only crit is to the critics because this painting is just perfect...compositionally and lighting fits....if anybody is nitpicking...its because they dont know how to really enjoy getting themselves lost/dissolved into art such as yours steve. It takes an open heart, not a critical mind to know what good work is.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gamoron
02-27-2003, 03:02 PM
I think we'll have to post a seperate gallery for you Steve. Beautiful once again. I do have a crit though, Sorry 2byts, but he said they were welcome. The cloud is so fluffy but on its edge on the left it has such a sharp edge which to me makes it look flat along there, the smaller cloud on the left is better, merges with back well. Just .2 cents. I am still very awed by your work, thank you for posting and thanks for the tutorials on your website.

Cheers!

slaughters
02-27-2003, 03:08 PM
I like the inverse symmetry of how the dress mmics the clouds and the hair mimics the sunset.

Your 3D work is very nice, but your 2D work is getting to be "A"rt with a capitol "A"

monotypic
02-27-2003, 03:26 PM
**looks at Stahlberg's stuff...then looks back to his own stuff**
................. i hate you.
:applause:

Nightwing
02-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Oh.....my....goodness!! :drool:

This feels like groundhog day, cos I'm sure I've said it before (on your fairy and monster piece) but this is absolutely gorgeous.

I'll join the throng in requesting a higher res pic.......oh and please continue to post your 2D stuff :D

Matt
02-27-2003, 03:33 PM
I like how her hair and dress become nebulous, and a part of the sky.

gra4mac
02-27-2003, 03:42 PM
I think your work is amazing. You can do things in PS I would never dream of. I am wondering if you have a website with your work posted, and if you ever make tutorials on your technique.

Cheers, Graham

stzaske
02-27-2003, 03:51 PM
Not that I am accusing you of being dishonest, but if you've painted this in the last few weeks, why is there a distinct '02 date in the painting?

-=STZ=-

stephen2002
02-27-2003, 04:04 PM
loooks great to me, I like the way the hair and dress fade out into a smoky appearence, it's like she is part of the clouds.

HapZungLam
02-27-2003, 04:04 PM
I added alittle bit of back lite from the bottom. Since i feel tha girl isn't stands out.

I did a test, and emmm.... see how do you like it.

great stuff by the way:thumbsup:

haslingerDesign
02-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Instead of exercising for myself cgtalk lures me and I sit there with open mouth in this case stunned. Hm, well but I miss the point.

fly, erotic scene you made happen...

mimo8
02-27-2003, 04:25 PM
to sing with all the others
"luuuuuvly work..."

for the backlight:
seems to do a good job on her legs
but the wrinkels of her dress on her back dissapeare
a little throug the backlight

but for more precise comments the image should
perhaps be the same size as the org

MrBraun
02-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Only GREAT GREAT GREAT !!!!!! :bounce: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PokeChop
02-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Gosh Stahlberg. Not to take away from all of your excellent 3D work, your talent really seems to stand out on your 2D work. If I could paint this well, I might set aside 3D for awhile. It must give you personal gratification when you finish a painting like this. Not saying 3D isn't just as rewarding, but 2D painting is much more tactile, more feeling goes into something like this with more control. Make any sense? What I am trying to say here? Argghh!

jimiyo
02-27-2003, 04:45 PM
your work is an inspiration. and its nice that its usually hot chicks. :beer:

the clouds are SO awesome. you almost miss it because its not even the focal point.

dobermunk
02-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Like Maxwell Parish (sp?) - beautiful!

bugo
02-27-2003, 05:14 PM
AMAZING MARVELOUS beaty, thats is the wright words for it!!
Love the colors!

Nummos
02-27-2003, 05:23 PM
My Friend.

If you added a dash of pink orange to the upper left cloud, (on its right side) the picture would sparkle! ;)

Great job.

If I can find a way to post my work up with descent visuality I have a treat for you!

qu2k
02-27-2003, 05:48 PM
its cool how the dress turns into clouds :D

Dan Wade
02-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Yup yup, nothing to really add to what has already been said.

I do have a small question though....do you find it easy to paint in photoshop? I heard Painter was the better package for this sort of stuff, but judging on your piece, ill keep my comments to myself.

Any chance of a high res version like people have requested?
Desktop material for sure!

You rock!

dark_lotus
02-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Thats really beautiful.

Arcangel
02-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Wow ......:beer: "You are Great"
~Willow Ufgood~ Willow
Will this be going to a 3d piece or will it be stayin in the 2d digital realm and Kudos to a great piece of work Lovely tones:thumbsup:

DevonH
02-27-2003, 07:00 PM
Damn! that's a killer image. Maybe I missed it, but how long have you been making photoshop images like this?

Gremlin
02-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Really awsome...
makes me wanna get a wacom, and create some shiz in Photoshop!! gawd, wish I wasnt a broke 16yr old, otherwise I would drop $300 on a wacom. :bounce:

MaRvI
02-27-2003, 07:24 PM
hehe this one is wonderfull... can I please see a high-res version of it...

yellowworm
02-27-2003, 07:52 PM
all i gotta say is:
the hair!

i love the fade in the hair.

Gotham
02-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Her face and beck looks weird....

But, it's absolutely great! :thumbsup:

d4rk
02-27-2003, 07:58 PM
wow that is awesome, very nice. That is a digital painting right? It really looks like it's done traditionaly :wip: :thumbsup: :applause:

fr3drik
02-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Wow.

You should really get a web site where you put all of your work... It would be a great source of inspiration.

Raven
02-27-2003, 08:46 PM
very nice digitally but i think if these were acutal paintings done w/paint on canvas it would be even more impressive. the only reason i say this is because there are no mulitple undos or layers to save you from your mistakes :)

your work is still good nonetheless.

i prefer to see actual figure drawings studies instead.

New
02-27-2003, 09:33 PM
jo, OMG arj!! you are... a fkng guy.

:thumbsup:

lildragon
02-27-2003, 09:46 PM
keep em coming Steven, I can't even find anything "wrong" with this one. I really love the tranquility of the entire scene. The warmth of the sun is so refreshing and nice, especially this time of the year here in Cananda ;).

Love it!

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Very very nice work!.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_feb03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Steveyola
02-27-2003, 09:53 PM
That's beautiful and surreal in a very nice way.I still would like to see it in true 3D space however. That would be a heavenly site from all angles.But still what you do have here is Wonderful.:beer:

Stahlberg
02-28-2003, 03:11 AM
Thanks everyone!!

This is Photoshop 5, sorry haven't tried either PS 7 or Painter or any other... :) Straight 'out of my head' except for a reference of a thigh/calf I used. The time in actual hours - hard to say, maybe somewhere around 1 - 2 hours each day, between other paying stuff. So maybe about 10 hours.

Stzaske - oops and arg!! Embarrassing. To make such a silly mistake in public. (wrote 02 instead of 03) Well fixed it now.

PokeChop - I think I do find 2d a little more rewarding now because in 3d I'm frustrated by my tools to a much higher degree. Obviously there are some rewards unique to 3d, but those tools... :)

DevonH - I've been painting and drawing all my life, but just these last 2 or 3 years seriously in Photoshop.

Raven - your comparison is missing something. If I was doing this in real media I would spend much more time on the sketch. And then probably do a color sketch, perhaps several.

The grain is just the noise filter, I wanted to break up the smoothness of the sky and also give the impression of a low-light photo situation.

Here's a link to a higher res version without the grain:
http://www.androidblues.com/fairyqueenhires.jpg

chrisdejoya
02-28-2003, 04:16 AM
oh my good lord.

Raven
02-28-2003, 06:09 AM
criticism... i dont think my comparison is missing anything. it is always easy to do an illustration in photoshop than to pick up a brush and paint. i know i was an illustrator. artist like skip liepke, john singer sargent, da vinci, etc. are true "maestros". we merely try to get there. these are artist who study light, color, human anatomy, composition, philosophy, etc... every moment of their lives(literally) :)

leonardo once said you are only a second rate artist if cannot draw the human figure correctly. that's why we see so many anatomical study drawings from him.

im just implying that a lot of people who do digital art tend to forget the basics of art and art history.

your work is good on a "technical" level. thats all im saying.

jadedchron
02-28-2003, 11:25 AM
Stahlberg, where'd you learn how to paint 'digitally'? I've looked and looked but haven't seen anything that makes photoshop come out lookin' like a painting.

slaughters
02-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Raven
...it is always easy to do an illustration in photoshop than to pick up a brush and paint...Most real artists (I'm not one myself) find that just the opposite of this is true. It is much easier for them to sketch/draw/paint in a traditional medium than create something in photoshop or a 3D app.

Like in photoshop, most traditional medium have layers and "Undo" tools as well. For a pencil it is called an "Eraser" for a painting it is called "over-painting". Most painters I know paint in "Layers" and mix the layers together to get more interesting results.

...your work is good on a "technical" level. thats all im saying. I find Stahlbergs work better than just on a technical level myself. His still images almost always evoke an interesting mood. I think this is even more true of his 2D work.

Raven
02-28-2003, 11:35 PM
to offend anyone. everyone is entitled to their opinion. but you're wrong when you say traditional mediums are have the same undo's and multiple layers. if i was doing a painting and i had many layers of glazes -- i can not go back and take away the first layer once its dried now can i???

you're terribly mislead and misinformed.

photoshop has the color palette readily available. not everyone can mix paint and apply with such precision and skill.

as for 3D. not many can grasp xyz so its not the issue here. anyone can take a real picture -- manipulate it in photoshop and call it their own work. like i said, traditional mediums are much harder to grasp than clicking buttons in photoshop. as the saying goes..."give them photoshop and they think they're an artist" LOL...

and not to discredit stahlberg's talents. his work is good. but im not here to pat everyone on the back and give them a big head.

slaughters
03-01-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks for letting me know how "terribly mislead and misinformed" I am.

Most of my paintings were done in oil, acrylic, and water colors. When a mistake was made I was able to re-mix and blend on the oil painting befiore it dried. With acrylics I was able to over paint and start that part over. With water colors I was able to thin, blend, and then blot out the mistake.

Neither of these are the point though. Let's try something more productive than simply bickering at each other. Do you have a link to any 2D photoshop painting which you do consider art ?

Raven
03-01-2003, 09:56 PM
2d photoshop work wasnt art.

i dont have any favorite links. i'd still prefer the traditional mediums when it comes to painting. To me the -- good raditional artist still beats the digital artist in many ways. after awhile most 2d digital art all look the same. same goes for airbrush work :shrug:

some of my favorite artist are...

Malcolm "Skipe" Leipke
NC Wyeth
Hildebrandt brothers
Richard MacDonald -www.richardmacdonald.com
John Singer Sargent
Bo Bartley
and of course most of the Renaissance artist.

Raven
03-01-2003, 10:03 PM
i love art history and i look at everyone's art in detail. i dont want to accuse Stahlberg's latest work as plagiarism but his latest work tends to remind me of a painting done by a famous artist named maxfield parrish who did a painting in 1904 labeled "The Dinky Bird".

here's the painting
http://www.tragsnart.co.uk/arthub/parrish/parris11.jpg

a coincidence? :rolleyes:

if stahlberg did get his idea from parrish than at least acknowledge it.

:shame:

OggieBoogie
03-01-2003, 10:53 PM
good raditional artist still beats the digital artist in many ways.

I cant belive im frickin' reading this load of CRAP (dont take that personally). Is this some frickin competition to you?!

I would like to hear how and by what means you define an "artist" and "art".

lildragon
03-01-2003, 11:51 PM
i dont want to accuse Stahlberg's latest work as plagiarism but his latest work tends to remind me of a painting done by a famous artist named maxfield parrish

I think you just did buddy, that's one serious accusation that could be very hurtful to the artist. I don't think Steven would mind your comment much, but this painting is so different from what Steven did. The *only* resemblance is a woman "swinging" There's so many differences here it's even ludicrious to suggest other.

Sorry but I don't know what your intentions here are.

salud

Menge
03-01-2003, 11:57 PM
as always, Stahlberg, your work is amazing! is this one following the Girl and Monster one on going 3D?

very good stuff :P

Raven
03-02-2003, 01:50 AM
im just pointing out some observations i made.

many artist look to former great artist as inspiration and many fail to give where credit is due.

if stahlberg didnt used maxfield parrish as inspiration and had no idea this piece existed than i fully apologize if i had offended him. i guess he can only answer that question.

i never said stalhberg wasnt a good artist im just pointing out something as i see it. its called constructive criticism.

lildragon
03-02-2003, 01:55 AM
its called constructive criticism.

No that was an accusation ;) you basically called him out. I mean with the emoticons it really doesn't help your point here :)

salud

Raven
03-02-2003, 04:01 AM
i cant question another artists work?

:hmm:

i've seen his recent 2d work and some of it reminded me of parrishes works. the color palette, clouds, and dreamy atmosphere. in this one particular piece the girl swinging is exactly the same pose as the one in parrishes piece. overlap them or put them side by side and examine it for yourself. the head is tilted back in the same position and the legs are straight forward in the same position. parrishes castle is the background and stahlbergs is in the lower right. the similairities are there. that's how i derived to my conclusion.

you can ignore my findings but there are similarities.

his 3d work is nice too. the first thing i noticed when i logged on to his web site is a girl that reminds me of Vargas work. and vargas influenced a lot.

all artist get inspirations from others heck michaelangelo copied poses from earlier artist in his Sistine Chapel frescoes. but he also tells us who he copied it from to give credit where credit is due.

in this case, im making a valid observation. it may not please everyone but this is the art world. we as an artistic community should question each others work. its healthy and if one has nothing to hide than he/she will explain their work in a constructive and cordial way.
:)

lildragon
03-02-2003, 06:44 AM
Relax buddy! I'm not saying you can't question his work, not at all, on the contrary its most welcomed, ;) but using the word "plagiarism" is taken very seriously. that's all

salud

azazel
03-02-2003, 10:54 AM
Steven, great painting... I don't think I have any crits :thumbsup:

and Raven:

anyone can take a real picture -- manipulate it in photoshop and call it their own work. like i said, traditional mediums are much harder to grasp than clicking buttons in photoshop

Digital painting is not "clicking the buttons" in PS... try to do it yourself, I'd like to see how You can create something like Steven's painting by only "clicking the buttons" (start with clean file, no photos)

in this one particular piece the girl swinging is exactly the same pose as the one in parrishes piece. overlap them or put them side by side and examine it for yourself. the head is tilted back in the same position and the legs are straight forward in the same position. parrishes castle is the background and stahlbergs is in the lower right. the similairities are there. that's how i derived to my conclusion.

If You take a photo of a real girl swinging, most likely she'll have similar position, so what's the point?

eyewoo
03-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Steven.... Wonderful painting....

--------------------------------------------------------

Raven wrote: criticism... i dont think my comparison is missing anything. it is always easy to do an illustration in photoshop than to pick up a brush and paint. i know i was an illustrator. artist like skip liepke, john singer sargent, da vinci, etc. are true "maestros". we merely try to get there. these are artist who study light, color, human anatomy, composition, philosophy, etc... every moment of their lives(literally)
Given the extraordinary art history of the last 150 years, your vision of art is quite narrow.

Raven wrote: i dont have any favorite links. i'd still prefer the traditional mediums when it comes to painting. To me the -- good raditional artist still beats the digital artist in many ways. after awhile most 2d digital art all look the same. same goes for airbrush work
I'm a little puzzled, then. Why you spend time in a digital art forum... is it just to bitch?

Eudaimic
03-02-2003, 04:12 PM
i cant question another artists work?

:hmm:

i've seen his recent 2d work and some of it reminded me of parrishes works. the color palette, clouds, and dreamy atmosphere. in this one particular piece the girl swinging is exactly the same pose as the one in parrishes piece. overlap them or put them side by side and examine it for yourself. the head is tilted back in the same position and the legs are straight forward in the same position. parrishes castle is the background and stahlbergs is in the lower right. the similairities are there. that's how i derived to my conclusion.

you can ignore my findings but there are similarities.

his 3d work is nice too. the first thing i noticed when i logged on to his web site is a girl that reminds me of Vargas work. and vargas influenced a lot.

all artist get inspirations from others heck michaelangelo copied poses from earlier artist in his Sistine Chapel frescoes. but he also tells us who he copied it from to give credit where credit is due.

in this case, im making a valid observation. it may not please everyone but this is the art world. we as an artistic community should question each others work. its healthy and if one has nothing to hide than he/she will explain their work in a constructive and cordial way.
:)

It's called a SHIFT key, you use to to make Captial letters in your sentences so that you don't come off as a 13 year-old.

Go bitch somewhere else, you're obviously in the wrong place.

Troll.

gra4mac
03-02-2003, 07:09 PM
This discussion reminds me of art school. I was in graphic arts and the FineARTS students had a familiar superior attitude. I always thought it was to compensate the fact that we all got jobs in our field, and the worked at McDonalds. We found it very amusing, especially the cartoon of the fine artist sitting on a toilet with a pipe out the side over a canvas.

I thought I had gotten away from all this shti in the CG community. As far as Iím concerned, art is the process of the artist creating, and not the medium or the final product. Thatís why I do it.

Cheers, Graham

Raven
03-02-2003, 09:03 PM
that everyone here has an opinion and its good to have an opinion. but back it up with concrete reasoning instead of mouthing off like a toddler.

Graham Clark:
art is the process of creating but when you display your art to the world to see you better expect some cristism. Good or Bad. If you're not a fan of crits than you're in the wrong profession. If Stalhberg didnt want criticism he shouldnt had post the picture.

eyewoo:
my interpretation of art is narrow? i can expand on many illustrators today whom i admire. but why go through the whole spectrum and bore you folks?

i do 3d and 2d art for a living. i see many things that surprises me. i've been doing this for over 12 yrs.

like i said earlier if you dont like criticism you obviously dont work in this profession as a pro. have you ever had a job given to you by an art director and ask you to change something because that's how he saw it? from your response i take that as a no.

azazel:
only one person can answer that question and that's stahlberg himself. so he did do a nice piece im more interested in how he got there. in the 3d forum when an artist does a really nice model people ask what their process was. and im merely doing the same with this piece.

lildragon:
point taken.

like i said all along only one person can answer the question that has been raised.

eyewoo
03-02-2003, 09:25 PM

eyewoo:
my interpretation of art is narrow? i can expand on many illustrators today whom i admire. but why go through the whole spectrum and bore you folks?

I think you missed my point. You seem to dismiss digital artwork as being somehow less than traditional artwork and your reasoning is particularly odd. It seems you think digital artwork is easier and therefore that makes it something less. If you say you do a lot of 2D and 3D work, I wonder how you can have that opinion?

I do mostly 2D work. I've never thought it was easier than doing traditional drawing or painting. It is an entirely different process with it's own set of advantages and disadvantages. It's true that you can often tell if a piece of artwork has been digitally created... but so what... You can also tell if a piece has been oil painted, watercolored, pencil drawn, pastel, guache, egg tempra, whatever. Every medium for the most part places it's stamp on the work that is created with it.

Raven
03-02-2003, 10:17 PM
u took my words out of context. this issue here is only related to 2d work. not 3d. 3d is much harder and tedious. and one cannot compare the two. its like apples to oranges.

next time you're in a book store pick up the making of the last star wars movie. most conceptual and preliminary work are all through traditional mediums. any decent digital artist out there knows that you dont go directly to photoshop and work from a clean file. you'll obviously do some studies and sketches. and you'll scan a sketch in to photoshop to use as a template. or some will use a photo as a template.

there is one digital artist that i do like. his name is john mullins. www.johnmullins.net

he explains his process thoroughly. he uses photos as a template sometimes and acknowleges it.

ive been using computers for almost 10yrs and 15+yrs on traditional. but at the end of each final product there's nothing like holding the sketch, painting, etc. in your hands.

eyewoo
03-02-2003, 11:18 PM
ive been using computers for almost 10yrs and 15+yrs on traditional. but at the end of each final product there's nothing like holding the sketch, painting, etc. in your hands.

eyewoo
03-02-2003, 11:27 PM

Well why don't you just come out and say that's what you like.... and leave it there...There doesn't seem to be a need to be putting down all digital artists just because they are digital... I've also been doing digital artwork for over 10 years and 30 years of other artwork prior to that... You couldn't pay me to go back to traditional art materials... They're clumsy, expensive and often dangerous to your health.

There's nothing like watching light glowing through color on a good monitor screen... :bounce:

john mullins??? That URL goes nowhere near an artwork site... Did you happen to mean Craig Mullins?

Raven
03-02-2003, 11:47 PM
to interpret... i never discredit stahlbergs talent. i said in my opinion its easier to do an illustration in photoshop than it is through traditional mediums. maybe you cant cope with and in this instance i also question its originality.

you are of narrowmind when you feel others should not say anything if it rocks the boat. please. if we all gave each other golden stars it would be quit boring.

where did i say i put down all digital artist when im one myself???? read any of my previous post and try and find that quote. i just dont do illustrations in photoshop.

you are in the wrong profession when you feel crits are not a necessity in the art world. when one post a pic on the internet to be discussed it is prone to good and bad crits. it is not about sticking your nose up each others ***. thats called brown nosing. you're probably used to having people say good job even if its not that good. you will never grow as an artist if people dont give you constructive criticism on your work.

the link should be www.johnwallin.net

eyewoo
03-03-2003, 01:11 AM
well... me thinks your crit of Steven's piece was more of an attack, an accusation of plagerism. Not really constructive to my way of thinking.

And as for johnwallin.net, I'm well aware of his work as are lots of other people, but I wouldn't class him as the only digital artist to like... your quote "there is one digital artist that i do like. his name is john mullins. www.johnmullins.net(sic.)

he explains his process thoroughly. he uses photos as a template sometimes and acknowleges it." Most matte painters use photos extensively. Nothing unusual about that.

There are so many other digital painters that are his equal... in his league.

I really have written about all I want to in this thread. Unless you have something else to say of importance, why not let it die.

Raven
03-03-2003, 01:59 AM
"Most matte painters use photos extensively. Nothing unusual about that."

its easier to manipulate a photo in photoshop and pass it up as an illustration by adding a simple filter.

i did let the matter die but you had to accuse me of saying something i didnt.

and i do question this piece's originality. i have the right too. if you posted something up here and i saw a resemblance from another artist than i will question you on that as well. its called integrity and credibility.

i will not further comment on this unless someone else decides to stir up the debate again.

wildsheepchase
03-03-2003, 03:38 AM
Another beautiful painting...I hope you keep sharing your new 2d work with us:love: I love the color palette you used, it's really unique. Do you think you could make a tutorial at some point? I'd love to learn a bit more about how you work:arteest:
:beer:

Stahlberg
03-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Raven asked me to state whether or not I used that Parrish illustration as inspiration in any way. The answer is no - I don't remember seeing it before. (Not that I can see how that statement is going to sway anyone who thinks otherwise.)

My inspiration, if you must know, came from a scene in a softcore porn movie shown on Swedish tv many years ago (like 2 decades ago), it was held up as an example of how different a woman's sexual fantasy can be from a man's (a woman was directing it). And it was, I must admit, a very nice scene, the image of it stayed in my memory. In a dream-like state a woman was swinging slowly on a long arc, near naked in flowing veils, legs straight forward and slightly parted; a man was standing in front of her, and at the peak of the forward movement his face was at the perfect level to enter right between her thighs...
A bit silly maybe but there you are.

Apart from that, I was also thinking of a kind of wedding gown in a magical place; perhaps the elf-queen bride is taking time off her very serious wedding preparations to enjoy a last childhood swing... whatever. Plus, I've always loved clouds, ever since I can remember. The castle was added as an afterthought. There was no photomanipulation or tracing or templates involved here, I think I already stated that I used no reference except a small black&white photo of a cheerleader for the area around the knee. IMHO this piece shows much more influence by the Hildebrandt brothers and other book-cover illustrators, than Maxfield Parrish. Here's the original sketch:

http://www.androidblues.com/fairyqueensketch.jpg

I'm not proud of it in any way. In fact it's embarrassing, but it was only ever meant to be a mnemonic device - to facilitate remembering the idea.

About my Phone Girl image looking like Alberto Vargas' work - actually that should be George Petty, who was the maestro of the generation before Vargas - in many ways I like his work better. That particular image is a tribute to Petty, a 3d remake of one of his originals, which I think I've stated in any gallery I've posted it in.

wildsheepchase - I have a tutorial on painting clouds on my website, http://www.androidblues.com (howto section)

ceql
03-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Wow! awe inspiring!! :applause: :applause:

beautiful image... I wish I had seen it sooner... mmm /right click, save as, into the Stahlberg folder. On my HD I have more saved art from Stahlberg than any other artist ;)

slaughters
03-03-2003, 01:30 PM
"...it was held up as an example of how different a woman's sexual fantasy can be from a man's (a woman was directing it)."

I wonder if Parrish saw the same movie ? :)

Libor
03-03-2003, 04:43 PM
For Raven:

You have wrote:

where did i say i put down all digital artist when im one myself???? read any of my previous post and try and find that quote. i just dont do illustrations in photoshop.

Here it is:

"good traditional artist still beats the digital artist in many ways. after awhile most 2d digital art all look the same. same goes for airbrush work"

What can I only say is go and see this (and finaly stop saying shit like this, ok?) :

http://goodbrush.com/

Cheers
:beer:

Titan
03-03-2003, 06:19 PM
great work man!!!

I was gonna say the style reminded me more of fantasy painter Michael Whelan, but I mean it as a compliment.

Beautiful as usual;) Steven!

in reference to "clicking buttons in photoshop":
you can give an artist a twig, a rock, and chewed bubblegum and he will make art because it is his nature.

I only wish I could "click butons" as well as Stahlberg...

DAREONER
03-03-2003, 06:23 PM
very beautiful and original

Raven
03-03-2003, 08:12 PM
i want to thank you steven for explaining his process and i do apologize for using the "P" word. i could had went about in a better way. and you're right, you're explanation still hasnt sway my mind on its originality.

if i ever decide to crit someone else's work in the future, i will restrain from using that ugly "P" word.

ansonkit
03-04-2003, 07:28 AM
hei man, still remember when the last time we met in 3D Tech...for my impression, i just though u only good in 3d... but no wonder u have proof me some of ur terrible good stuff in 2d as well...

so, wat make u suddenly like to do painting...

anyway, keep ur hard work till the next time we met again...

Stahlberg
03-05-2003, 01:40 AM
Hi ansonkit! Well, about painting... I've always been painting and drawing, I went to art school and later worked for over 10 years as a freelance illustrator. I got paid so well that I took on too much work, which led to years of 100-hour work-weeks, and I burned out. Then I found that 3d had become affordable for me, so I started with that, and didn't paint much for many years. Now it seems my old inspiration has come back. :)

(Here's a link to my old 'traditional' stuff, wow that looks crappy to me now but just to show where I'm coming from) :)
http://www.optidigit.com/gallery/steven_gallery.html

dzpday
03-05-2003, 05:47 AM
Your are my idol!!!!

tomb
03-05-2003, 11:21 AM
What a great piece. The atmosphere is electric. When I saw this piece it reminded me of this photo: http://www.nga.gov.au/Tales/large/laing.htm

ansonkit
03-06-2003, 02:01 AM
thanks for ur posted website of ur artwork...it really impress me... do u still remember a question i did asking u when the first time i been visit ur company last time... i ask u "do u think drawing is a important method for a good 3d animator" ... ur answer it does convince me.... now u really done something incredible....

i know somehow, people will turn back to what their r really good of... we change to 3d is all because the trend and demand of clients...wat do u think...? when there no more boundaries, we can back to our own again....

PsychedelicMind
03-06-2003, 07:08 AM
beautiful! >saves picture< you really have a wonderful realistic style!

piajartist
03-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Beautiful red hair!

Stahlberg
03-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Thanks...
about turning back to what we're really good at... most people now say I'm better at 2d than 3d, and I take that as a compliment, but still I'm not sure if I totally agree... I'm not sure I've shown the best that I can do in 3d.
I've some obstacles - for instance, I'm still stuck using the internal Maya renderer. There are other problems... well I'll take care of them one day.

Painting for me is MUCH more intuitive than modeling, lighting or texturing. Perhaps you've heard people talk of 'the zone' when they get creative - when you don't notice the passage of time, you're in a kind of creative trance... it's much easier to zone out in 2d than in 3d, for me at least. (This is why in my 3d WIP thread right now I'm following my original 2d painting so closely - trusting the choices I made while in the zone.)

The reason painting is more intuitive is clear - you constantly see updates to the final image in real time. Impossible with most 3d models. :) But for some reason I still love 3d more than 2d, I always have, probably always will. And 3d will keep getting more intuitive.

maarp
03-06-2003, 12:16 PM
:applause: :applause: great. :thumbsup:

Knox
03-06-2003, 08:36 PM
very good

you succed in showing the velocity of the scene
and you can deal very well with colors

trfalk
03-21-2003, 06:24 AM
And I was just reading and practicing your cloud painting tutorial, Steve. It's very helpful. Then you turn out artwork with those elements to it! ALL of your tutorials are very helpful - I learned more about color balance, composition, and lighting in your essays than in any art class. Thank you and I wish you continued success in your chosen path.:thumbsup:

moebiusstrip
03-21-2003, 06:46 AM
great picture and reminds me a little of one of maxfield parrish's painting..that sense of surrealism and great beauty

GrantMan
03-21-2003, 04:44 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause:

I'm a avid Photoshop user and I have to say, you are an incredible artist! Do you use a tablet for this? You may have answered that before... (I have a slow connection so I don't always read everything that's posted). Your work and imagination are beautiful. Keep them coming...

(How hard would it be to get a wallpaper sized version?)

-The Art Guru

SDIT
03-22-2003, 04:57 AM
Hello Mr. Stahlberg
I always feel inspired while looking your work. It has been this way ever since I became familiar with it. I am a huge fan of your work (both 2D & 3D). I am truly amazed at your skills as a traditional artist. The painting is beautiful. The use of colors is gorgeous and the balance in the whole piece is remarkable. My eyes move across the whole piece with an ease I only can compare to the effect created by master paintings.
I MEAN THAT!!
Awesome work once again
Thanks for sharing your talent. Might we see this in 3D someday??? Just like we just did with your faerie & monster piece??
Cheers and Congrats!
:beer: :beer:

Stahlberg
03-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Thanks for raising my spirits today! :)
In 3D? I'd love to... :) but it would be hard to get the clouds, cloth and hair right... it might be worth doing as a kind of reference 'sketch' in 3d, to improve anatomy, perspective, lighting etc.

I used a Wacom pressure-sensitive tablet, with Photoshop 5.

A link to a higher res version:
http://www.androidblues.com/hires.html

SDIT
03-23-2003, 01:52 AM
well.... maybe mixed media??? Painted background and 3D character??? I am not pushing!! :p I just think tyhis would be great in 3D :thumbsup:
Take care and a never-too-redundant CONGRATS once again!!
Cheers
:beer: :beer:

D.Q
03-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Great!!!

moebiusstrip
03-24-2003, 03:23 AM
i actually posted a comment that the work does reminds me of maxfield parrish before i saw raven's comments...

Aeroplane
03-24-2003, 06:53 AM
wow man,very very nice!!!:thumbsup: :love:

piajartist
03-25-2003, 08:05 AM
Still love that hair!

Ryiinn
03-25-2003, 03:13 PM
She's absolutely gorgeous! Your work is such an inspiration to me as a fledgeling here :)

It amazes me that work so beautiful can be acheived with Photoshop when the program is in the right hands.

chee huat
03-27-2003, 09:53 PM
great work.

efoo
03-30-2003, 08:04 AM
Again... another masterpiece from Mr. Stahlberg, i just love the color and composition applied, it's Amazing!! Just a little comment, if the sky area could be extended... it might give audience more imaginative spacing... anyway, BRAVO!!!!! :applause:

M.Rogne
03-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Nice... And I don't even know what I like the most, the drawing itself or the motive :rolleyes:

Luki
04-17-2003, 01:51 PM
O shoot!!!!
I dont like your 3d works, cause all of your girls looks the same, but this image is absolutely awsome. More, more, more.
Luki

9th Legion
04-17-2003, 02:27 PM
Absolutely Awesome!

Tell me, how did you get the reflection of the sun on her that perfect! It almost seems alive!

More, more !:airguitar

Soeren Nielsen
05-27-2003, 10:50 PM
Just saw this in the gallery for the first time, and instantly put it as background image. In other words my jaw went to the floor.
Very nice.

most people now say I'm better at 2d than 3d, and I take that as a compliment, but still I'm not sure if I totally agree... I'm not sure I've shown the best that I can do in 3d.

My personal oppinion on that is. When you start out on something in 3d, you have something in mind allways, when you finish it up you have maybe reached the image you had in your head perfectly, but chances are that you arent completely where you wanted to be. That goal is alot easier to hit in 2d, than in 3d because of the inspirational flow, like you said yourself earlier, "its alot easier to zone out in 2d, than in 3d" And offcourse the obstacles still in 3d makes it very hard sometimes to hit that image in your mind. I dont think we have seen the best from anyone yet, we can allways do better, cause we learn while we work, no matter how little, we allways learn something.

Alva
05-28-2003, 10:25 AM
Perfect. No more comments.:eek: :drool: :applause:

cutepixie
05-28-2003, 10:27 AM
Beautiful :thumbsup:

animation-angel
05-28-2003, 07:26 PM
amazing!! :drool:

Onno
05-31-2003, 11:15 AM
Love the image, I adore the airy feel it has.

If this ever comes out as a poster, then I'll be the first to get one! You're an inspiration for everyone.

@Raven: :thumbsdow + :shame: Tsk, what an attitude. Maybe inform first before accusing someone of plagiarism.

Pinky_Powers
06-03-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Stahlberg
Thanks...
about turning back to what we're really good at... most people now say I'm better at 2d than 3d, and I take that as a compliment, but still I'm not sure if I totally agree... I'm not sure I've shown the best that I can do in 3d.
I've some obstacles - for instance, I'm still stuck using the internal Maya renderer. There are other problems... well I'll take care of them one day.

Painting for me is MUCH more intuitive than modeling, lighting or texturing. Perhaps you've heard people talk of 'the zone' when they get creative - when you don't notice the passage of time, you're in a kind of creative trance... it's much easier to zone out in 2d than in 3d, for me at least. (This is why in my 3d WIP thread right now I'm following my original 2d painting so closely - trusting the choices I made while in the zone.)

The reason painting is more intuitive is clear - you constantly see updates to the final image in real time. Impossible with most 3d models. :) But for some reason I still love 3d more than 2d, I always have, probably always will. And 3d will keep getting more intuitive.

Can you tell me something? I would love to see you do a fully detailed, meaningful image in 3D. Like the one you did with the Beauty and the Beast one. I loved that one to death, but it just made me long for more. Are you currently working on another image like this? I personaly would love if you made this http://www.androidblues.com/jetty3.jpg
into a full 3D image. This has to be may favorite of your work. You inspire me man.

ramy
10-21-2004, 07:39 AM
This is really pretty. The building all the way in the back makes it! Nice touch with the birds too.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.