PDA

View Full Version : Painter X and Wacom Graphire 4 Help

PCMac
02-17-2007, 01:42 AM
Good Evening,

I am using Corel Painter X with a Wacom Graphire 4 tablet.

I purchased the tablet just today. I started using Photoshop before I started with Painter, so I got quite distracted there for awhile. It worked out beautifully, complete with pressure sensitivity, something I'm just now discovering.

When I went into Painter, however, I was disappointed to discover I could not "paint" with the pen and tablet. I have full cursor control. I can even use the "Polygonal" paint brush (similar to the Polygonal Lasso tool in Photoshop; click, click again and it draws a line between the clicks). But when I touch the tablet with the pen and drag to try and paint, nothing shows up. This is very strange.

Note: in the Wacom cpanel, it IS set to "Pen" mode (absolute positioning) and not "Mouse" mode (relative positioning).

Being new to both Painter X and a Wacom tablet, I'm hoping there's a stupid setting somewhere that just needs to be set correctly.

Tech info:

Dell Dimension 4400, Pent IV, Win XP SP2
512 MB RAM, 20 GB & 40 GB HDs
Internal CD RW
External USB DVD Burner
Wacom Graphire 4 USB tablet

Thanks in advance for your comments.

-PCMac

Laurindo
02-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi,

Make sure you have checked only the left one (freehand strokes) of the three drawing mode buttons on the property bar.
If you have also the right one (align to path) checked, there will be no trace of the brush if you have no path made with pen or shape tools.

Lauri

Jinbrown
02-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Hi,

Welcome to Painter X and the Corel Painter forum!

As to your not being able to paint except straight lines here are some suggestions that might help:

In the Brush Selector menu (upper right corner of the screen), choose Restore All Default Variants. That will restore all brush variants in the currently loaded brush library to their default state. Then open a new Canvas and test some of the brush variants.

If you're painting on a new Layer or trying to paint on transparent areas of a Layer, at the top of the Layers palette, make sure the Preserve Transparency box is not checked.

Some brush variants won't work on transparent areas of a Layer. They'll only work on existing color. These include brush variants that use Method: Drip or Method: Plugin. You can check the Method in the Brush Controls' General palette (Window > Brush Controls > Show General).

If none of the above helps, close Painter X and hold down the Shift key while launching Painter X the next time. That will reset the program to its installed state and may clear up the problem.

The icons displayed on the Property Bar when the Brush tool is active are, from left to right:

Reset Tool
Freehand Strokes
Straight Line Strokes
Align to Path
Reset Tool, according to the Painter X Help Topics, is supposed to reset the tool to its default settings. What it actually does is to reset the current brush variant to its default settings. (Tools are in the Tools palette. Brush variants aren't tools in the context of Painter.)

Freehand Strokes allows us, as the name implies, to paint freehand brush strokes. This is nothing like the Photoshop Polygon Lasso tool or Magnetic Lasso tool except the lines are straight rather than freehand, or curved. Painter's Freehand Strokes icon is used with painting, not making selections.

Straight Line Strokes allows us to paint straight line brush strokes.

Align to Path is used to align a brush stroke to a Painter Shape's path. Painter Shapes are vector based and created using the Shape tools:

Pen
Quick Curve
Rectangular Shape
Oval Shape

Forgot to mention this:

If nothing I suggested solves the problem, you might want to contact Wacom and ask if they think installing the latest tablet driver would be a good idea.

Be sure to let them know you're using Painter X as that may make a difference.

Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2007, 11:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.