PDA

View Full Version : XSI 6 Demo - Does it work on XP 64?

Kevin-Killjoy
02-16-2007, 10:16 PM
I own a copy of 5.11 (bought it 'bout 3o days before 6 hit the streets. Whoops, no free upgrade) and it's great. I used soft3d back in the 90's, so it's nice to be back.

That's all fine, but at work we use Max. Another artist and I have been trying to get the demo of 6 running (I am considering buying a bunch of copies for work). Neither of us can get the #*$"+! thing to work. After going through the hell of getting the License to work, it just locks up before the windows load. I've been through the wiki and tried all of the recommended things, none of which work, so here are my theories:

1. The demo doesn't work on xp 64. Somewhere on the Avid site it says XSI 32 isn't supported on XP 64. Could the demo be 32-bit (and hence not work?)

OR

2. the demo doesn't work with my Radeon X1800. It's not on the recommended GFX card list, which only has FireGL and Quaddro cards. If this is the case, it's utterly daft to limit your software market to these cards. XSI works on my home machine (geForce 6600)

OR

3. The demo just doesn't work.

Any ideas? C'mon Soft, you might miss a sale here for a bunch of copies...and maybe many more in the future....

Cheerio

-Killjoy

jgj
02-17-2007, 01:45 AM
I had the 6 demo/trial version running on my WinXP64 system for the last 30 days with hardly a crash at all. Worked great.

Did you also install the two other files, "vcredist_x64.exe" and "NetFx64.exe"?

Don't know about the video card... I'm running a GeForce 7900.

Hope that helps,

-Jim

philhoole
02-17-2007, 02:15 AM
I am using the release version of Foundation of XSI6 on XP64 and it works well for me so far. I have an ATi X1900. I did install those 2 files that jgj mentioned.

I must admit I haven't used it in anger yet but it does seem to basically work despite not being officially supported.

I only tried the demo on a 32 bit machine.

Kevin-Killjoy
02-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I installed those files. I sent an email to Softimage today, I hope they can sort me out.

-Killjoy

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2007, 10:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.