PDA

View Full Version : light on spline mograph / for FR

jph
02-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi there,

I just ran into the following problem:

I am lighting a car in Final render, unfortunately FR can't use gerometry as a light (e.g. area light combined with a spline). So I made myself a small setup with a mograph cloner object and a shader effector using the fall off to controll the light intensity.

You can find the setup here:
http://www.haluszka.com/download/FR_stuff/light_on_spline_setup.c4d

The lights are all lined up on the spline, I can slide the effector on the spline, it is all sweet so far... As I said I would like to control the intensity of the lght with the fall off, and I canīt figure out how to do it, since the shader effector falloff is effecting the inverse square falloff of the light. what I want is the inverse square falloff to be constant, and olny the light intensity to be effected.
I could work with the setuo as it is, but right now I canīt contrtol it as I would want it...

Thx Jan

Mylenium
02-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi there,

I just ran into the following problem:

I am lighting a car in Final render, unfortunately FR can't use gerometry as a light (e.g. area light combined with a spline). So I made myself a small setup with a mograph cloner object and a shader effector using the fall off to controll the light intensity.

You can find the setup here:
http://www.haluszka.com/download/FR_stuff/light on spline setup.c4d

The lights are all lined up on the spline, I can slide the effector on the spline, it is all sweet so far... As I said I would like to control the intensity of the lght with the fall off, and I canīt figure out how to do it, since the shader effector falloff is effecting the inverse square falloff of the light. what I want is the inverse square falloff to be constant, and olny the light intensity to be effected.
I could work with the setuo as it is, but right now I canīt contrtol it as I would want it...

Thx Jan

Check the help files/ manual. There's a good example on how to link lights using the MoGraph data node. Should give you exactly what you need. You may need to have a separate effector for the falloff, but that should be the only inconvenience.

Mylenium

Per-Anders
02-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Unfortunately firefox doesn't want to play ball with your download right now, keeps trying to open it as text. however without that I would say you have two ways to control the brightness of lights using mograph, the first is just using the color settings in the effector to control the color of the lights. the second is to have the lights in two states, one at teh dimmest, one at the brightest, set the cloner to use "Blend" mode then set teh effector to modify the clone index (which will then control the blending amount in blend mode).

jph
02-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi Per, Hi Mylenium,

I will check both ways, and post my results...

As for opening the link in firefox, just right click it and it should work...

edit:
...Hi per, using a gradient in the shading works fine for cinemas render engine, but it does not seem to work for FR...
http://www.haluszka.com/download/FR_stuff/light_on_spline_setup_2.c4d

ciao jan

Per-Anders
02-19-2007, 09:01 PM
You have your light and cube in a null object inside of the cloner? This will stop the light's settings being modified. Try putting the light and cube directly under the cloner, then set the cloners mode to "Cluster", now it will be able to set the color of the lights.

jph
02-20-2007, 01:28 PM
:thumbsup: Thx, taht did the trick!

I had the lights in a null because on aan earlier setup I used spots, and I needed to control their pointing direction...

here is the setup:

http://www.haluszka.com/download/FR_stuff/light_on_spline_setup_3.c4d

ciao Jan

Per-Anders
02-20-2007, 05:08 PM
You can control their directino without putting them in a null, just uncheck the "Fix Clone" option in the cloner.

jph
02-21-2007, 05:49 PM
You can control their directino without putting them in a null, just uncheck the "Fix Clone" option in the cloner.

....oh, funny, cause it was not my idea (I did not know) but what the maxon support sugested..., well ... it worked for the older setup...

ciao Jan

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2007, 05:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.