PDA

View Full Version : PX: Slow Eraser with Enhanced Brush Ghost

genocell
02-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Hi,

When I turn on Enhanced Brush Ghost the eraser crawls to the point of being flaky. Does this happen to other people in here or should I get a faster porcessor (pretty expensive for me if this is the only solution).

Any ideas to speed this up? And Corel thank you for another wonderful version!

Thanks

Tim3308
02-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi,
I have 6 GB of Ram in a 2.5 GHz PowerMac, only app running and I consider the enhanced feature unusable --

I was about to toss the whole app, unitl I turned off that pref. Back to normal when off. Besides, we all know how our hand is tilting the pen anyway, don't we? Don't know who the feature would work for (quad Macs?), but obviously Corel will be/is fielding many complaints on this, or did during the beta?

John Derry confirmed my experience and echoed the same thoughts on the feature's practical usuability in another thread here. You are not alone.

T

Jinbrown
02-16-2007, 07:11 PM
I don't have a powerful system and even so, the Enhanced Brush Ghost only causes me problems with some brush variants.

Like you, Tim, I don't need it anyway. I've never needed to see where my brush strokes will be placed before starting or in advance, during the stroke painting.

Drawing since childhood with pencil and paper or pen and paper/mylar/vellum, I never watched the pencil or pen while drawing. I watched the marks they made. Same with Painter since I first started using my old Wacom ArtZ II tablet around 1995. It took me just a few minutes to feel comfortable using it and using my Intuos 2 tablet still does feel comfortable.

Maybe the Enhanced Brush Ghost was included to answer requests from other software users who are used to, and depend on, seeing a brush ghost both before and during painting and drawing. I think they could pretty quickly get past that dependence but it would take the time to practice and letting go of the idea they need that visual aid.

Just my thoughts, though.

Happy weekend to you!

genocell
02-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Okay, thank you for confirming this. I'm used to Painter IX.5 normal brush ghost so this is no biggie.

toastyovens
02-17-2007, 01:38 AM
WOW!

I was glad I didn't upgrade. The more I think of it, the more I am glad that I did't waste my hard earned USD's by wasting for this gimicky upagrade!

GetYourSketch
02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I too, was about to ditch this upgrade due to the unbelievable lag due to the enhanced brush ghost. I'm on a Dual 2.7 Mac w/Radeon 9650 (not this year's model, but no slouch), and this feature rendered the program completely unusable.

Honestly, this is just the kind of trade-off that's kept me in Photoshop for 20 years (a little on the chunky/gimmicky side). I keep trying Painter, and while I'm impressed with the simulation, I always go back to PS to get it done. I know there are a lot of artists with the exact opposite experience, and they've grown with painter similarly, but I've been comfortable with PS from day one. Guys like Ryan Church and Dan Milligan inspire me to keep coming back to give it a try.

Well, here I go again with Enhanced Brush Ghost turned off!

artprocafe.com

Tim3308
02-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Well, here I go again with Enhanced Brush Ghost turned off!

Yep, that's no slouch of a machine!
Turn that sucker off. Under Prefs>General>left hand side, under Brush ghosting.

Corel needs to fix this. How does this get beyond beta?

I'm just the opposite. When I decided to move to digital from traditional, a friend had gotten Painter Classic and turned me onto it. I knew a little bit about PS (from scanning sketches to clients), but went head deep into Painter 7. So I cut my digital teeth on Painter, and always felt the brushes were crude and screamed "digital" in PS, so I never gave it any time in terms of making art. But PS is critical in my color work and editing w/ the Painter images I create.

And w/ P9 on up, it is now about as stable as Photoshop -- it's solid. And I've not sure why, but I think Painter's brushes are incredibly speedier than Photoshops (CS3 Beta and back). I've gotten advice for PS and making it faster w/ my 6GB of memory etc, and still it drags compared to what Painter can do w/ it's brushes --it kinda shocks me every time I try a little brush work in PS. Of course PS ability to make loop selections and edit that way it creams Painter (of course it's made to be the color editing wunderkind, and is). But w/ brushes, unless I'm doing something wrong, Painter is king.

T i m

GetYourSketch
02-20-2007, 09:28 PM
I guess it comes down to what feel right. I don't notice a lag in either program the way I'm using them. I suspect it's probably that I can get away with slightly smaller finish file sizes. I'm in advertising doing Storyboards and Animatic art. My files are never more that 1500-2000 or so.

I've only got 2 gigs for PS, but I do have a dedicated Scratch Disk which makes a big difference if you like alot of undos (I've got 120, and I use them!).

As far as organic brushes and such, While PS is no match for Painter when it comes to some of the "wet media", texture canvases, or image cloning, you can get plenty of grit chaos into your Photoshop brushset.

I personally couldn't do without some of the workflow advantages like Actions for instance. I'm still trying to get Painter in the mix for freehand sketching with the canvas rotation being a real boon. Also, I've worked in an image hose now and then to cover some area with repeating elements like a bed of vegetables or a swarm of butterflys.

I guess it's fair to say both programs are really a blessing to us artist types!

COoL BeAnS!

Tim3308
02-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Good points. I sure need both apps and have enjoyed Painter's ability to work w/ PS over the years steadily improve.

I am decidely in the dark about illustrating in Photoshop for sure, just, again, shocked how sluggish the basic brushes can be w/ my limited attempts. Maybe it is the file size, but, not experienced the same image in Painter, moments before. I know it "shouldn't" be that way...??? and yep, full dedicated, internal scratch disk for me as well, set as pref for both programs (pssst.. I believe it was back in P8 that the scratch disk option pref wasn't even functional for Macs, yet, it was there and seletcable. Kinda like a "yuppy" button in an elevator. It's there to make it "hurry", but doesn't do a thing.;))

T i m

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2007, 09:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.