PDA

View Full Version : Character: Zion Kampfer :UT2K3 (first attempt)

Stygian
02-27-2003, 03:59 AM
Hey guys and gals this is my first attempt at a game model. This is the zion Kampfer from Gundam 0800 .
Its currently weighing in a little heavy at about 4k tris without the hands but I am going to go back and try to optimize the mesh and get it down to 3500 tris when all is said and done . Any tips or crits are greatly appreciated .
http://www.stygianstudios.com/images/kampfer_sideshot_01.jpg
http://www.stygianstudios.com/images/kampfer_frontshot_01.jpg
http://www.stygianstudios.com/images/kampfer_backshot_01.jpg

CogsOrchish
02-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Youre right, theres too much polys going on. I recommend taking some out polys around the head and between the torso and legs. Otherwise, cool model.

DARK_DRAGON
02-28-2003, 03:41 AM
It's lookin cool.. but you can definatly lose some polys in the appendages... see how the arms are essentially just straight boxes??? well you dont need all the middle iterations/cuts... just clear them out... (or as many as you can get away with without losing form) and look for stuff like that... otherwise the model is lookin nice!

BurrowingDuck
02-28-2003, 05:15 AM
too many polys and you don't have the shape of the kampher down at all...The shoulders are more like ovular things and one of the shoulders has 3 spikes on it. the bottom little "mouthguard"-ish part of the chin should be WAY thinner and the head overall should be more sleek and long. there shouldn't be a big shelf there by the hips as you've created. the legs don't have those long poles connecting them to the body. The lower arms should be beefier. you're missing the thrusters in the chest too. Basically I think you need more ref photos but I can't help you too much on modelling...never tried low-poly modelling much before, myself

Stygian
02-28-2003, 04:37 PM
Well I worked on it some more last night. Got the poly count down to 3500 with the hands .

@Burrowingduck : I know the shape is still a little off not done yet . The arms I had to modify a bit because of some of the poses in game looked like there was going to be alot of clipping and was trying to think ahead. The spikes on the shoulder are going on tonite . The Chest thrusters I'm going to handle in the Texture. And your right I do need more ref pics all I have at the moment is the little 5.25 " action figure so I am guessing on the connection between the legs and the torso . ... Thanks for the crits :wavey:

Hysteria
03-01-2003, 06:10 PM
was that made in milkshape?

Stygian
03-01-2003, 06:18 PM
no using 3DS max . ....
starting the mapping this weekend hopefully

fproto
03-01-2003, 08:15 PM
flat or nearly flat surfaces which are not subject to

angular deformation can be reduced greatly in polycount.

:D:D:D:D

places which people don't pay much attention to -

( especially in games )

- are another place where polygons can be cut down a lot.

BiTMAP
03-02-2003, 12:35 AM
yeah I agree with the last post, another great thing is rendering in flatshade, It just shows how you've used your poly's a WELL made character will still look good, and it will look nice, becuase it only starts looking bad when your useing to many poly's and they're layed out wrong. Its nice to see some higher poly characters in flatshade when they're done right.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.