PDA

View Full Version : Is this topology good for deformation?

amannin
02-15-2007, 10:07 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/amannin/Picture1.png

Should I add the edges in red? If i add them, I maintain the flow, but i lose my quads--what would be better for deformation? Or how else can I redirect the flow of my topography to better allow smoothing and deformations later?

ps: I want the borders to have thickness (much like a karate suit)

GreenShellFactor
02-16-2007, 12:00 AM
How do you intend on deforming the gi? If you're modeling it for cloth deformation, it has to be planar to start and made of curves, and then once relaxed, a wrap deformer can then be applyed and parented to the original to get the thickness that you're looking for. Also, don't forget there is a belt holding a karate suit together ;) But get back at me with more of what you are trying to do and I may be more able to help you out.

high five,
~green

amannin
02-19-2007, 06:25 AM
yah, where the tapper is, is where the belt is going to be -- that's why i made it tapper so much.

i'm not going to use cloth (as it would just devastate my computer) but i want the topology to be optimized for smoothing and deformation. This shirt is also going to act as the skin of my character -- its all going to be one mesh (well, with the exception of the bottom).

so yah, hopefully my situation / questions make more sense... thanks for the help.

GreenShellFactor
02-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Okay, so you're basically going to use the shirt as the body - good - no use modeling more than you need. Topology looks good. It's going to depend on how (not to mention how much) you actually are going to deform it. From the looks of it, where you have the red lines isn't going to move much in terms of the actual piece of clothing on the character. Where it will deform is below that - as long as that area is all quads, your smooth should be be pretty uniform.

You could make it a soft body with a goal weight painted onto the lower part of the shirt...that will give it the ability to flow with your character, although it's a game of trial and error when painting goals. Good luck to you! Keep on keeping on!

~m

Archvilell
02-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Just an idea I'd thought I'd throw out: I'm modeling a character with a longer coat as well (a little past the buttocks), and to help out with animation and deformation, my idea was to add some bones in the coat itself. This would give me the ability to move the coat when the character runs, lift his leg up so the coat would move, etc. You might also try that in your model where the bottom of the shirt meets the legs, though your model is considerably shrt than mine so you probably don't need to worry about it. A thought just the same. Good luck!

Ben Day

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2007, 01:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.