PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy Question

benclark
02-15-2007, 10:41 AM
I am due to take intensive anatomy and life drawing classes over the next 2 months. I can draw already but I thought it was about time to get a better understanding of what I'm doing. I have been doing some reading and sketching to prepare.

Two terms that keep appearing in video tutorials and books is 'planes' and 'plane breaks'

Can someone please define these terms for me and how they relate to anatomical drawing?

Thanks in advance for any reply:)

almostkungfu
02-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, it's sort of, if you simplified a figure, like a low-polygon 3D figure, you would be able to see the planes. A plane is one of the "plates" that builds up the form, and then between those plates, those are the plane breaks.

This is kinda an important understanding, as light breaks where the planes break. Like, if in one plane break, one of the planes bends away from the light, and one towards the light, the first plane would be darker than the second one.

http://www.portrait-artist.org/face/structure2.html
I googled planes.. A few paragraphs about it on the middle of the page there. ;)

I suck at explaining. :)

CodeNothing
03-04-2007, 09:08 PM
agreed

also something ive run into in figure drawing classes is instructors saying two areas are on the same 'plane'. which realy means they are parallel to each other but in different locations.

Such as, the side of your nose may be on the same plane as the side of your temple. So, if no cast shadow is involved, they would likely be getting the same lighting treatment.

or, the tip of your nose, the front of your brow, and front of your chin all face forward, so share the same plane, even though they are in different places.

good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2007, 09:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.