PDA

View Full Version : WIP - The Transit of Tomorrow

jbfmoore
02-15-2007, 07:47 AM
So, I would probably consider this to be my first matte painting. I'm currently an art student studying for a B.F.A in VFX. Anyway, When finished this will be a 2.5D matte painting. The camera move will be a slight tracking move. I'm planning on adding a live action element or two. Whether it is a person walking down the tracks or birds in the sky I'm not sure.

Obviously there are still some issues with the painting, but please feel free to point out anything you feel that sticks out as a mistake or errors or anything. It is quite possible that I may have missed something as well.

http://studentpages.scad.edu/%7Ejmoore26/train-test5.jpg

I still have some color corrections to do, as well as some things to fix as far as the compositing of the elements go, etc.

Ive got to do something with the right side of the piece where the wall and the closest building is. Just doesnt sit right with me.

Critiques, Comments, Suggestions?

byvfx
02-18-2007, 07:16 AM
becareful with you darks here.. it doesnt help the depth of this image much.

the composition is so so.. one point persp. kinda boring. the pay of the bright light at the end there isnt much.

and becareful with tangents.. they are all over the place in this. i would give those a one over and fix them.

JJASSO
02-18-2007, 05:58 PM
I completly agree with metinicus , the black levels at the distance need to go way down, aereal perspective is necesary to get a nice depth feeling, also I think most of the edges are too perfect, too cg try to break them a little bit or blur them

jbfmoore
02-21-2007, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestions on the blacks of the image. Your definately right about that. Something I didnt even notice. I suppose I've been working on this so long that I've missed many things that I didnt even realize were issues.

As far as the tangents, do you think you could point out some of the more obvious areas? I take it the pillar on the left side of the image as well as the top of the closer apartment buildings on the right area of the composition are some of the main areas?

When I project the matte painting I am going to be using some render passes to also help correct some of the lighting issues... mainly to help with highlights, etc.

The composition is somewhat boring but unfortunately the matte is so far along that I pretty much have to stick with what I have right now.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and observations. Definately things i needed to hear/know.

jbfmoore
02-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Here is a quick update of some of the changes suggested (as far as the darks, etc).

The "lighting" changes on the areas of buildings in darkness was very quickly done and done quite roughly just for me to get an idea of what it would look like. Also, the crossbeam of the underpass on the left side (that is cut off) has to be fixed as well. Right now it appears basicaly just cut off. I'll be capping it off at the end to fix the angles, etc.

Im still not quite sure which tangents are the ones that should probably need to be fixed. In general Im pretty sure I know what your talking about but yeah, still not 100% sure as to which areas that need to be addressed as far as that goes.

I think that I've decided that I am going to do some lighting in 3D and use that as addative light passes for highlights as well as shadows on the buildings, etc.

As you can see I did an extremely hasty job on "painting" in the lighting in photoshop (or rather painting in shadows, etc) but I'm not too happy with the outcome so far... it looks ok but I think it would be much easier to simply do it in 3D and then just do render passes, etc.

Obviously there is discrepency between the left and right side of the composition as far as lighting goes mainly because I jsut did a quick test to see if painting the shadows on the buildings would be sucessfull. I didnt bother with the right side, since I decided I dont think i'll even be painting the lighting in photoshop at all.

So for now this is where it's at. Still needs work, but I do think it's improving.

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~jmoore26/train_lighting_wip.jpg

Also, you can view a quick playblast of the camera move I'm thinking of. Obviously this is just a test, so keep that in mind.

The filesize is slightly large but I dont have any software at the moment to shrink the video file down.

(6mb, Right click & save as) http://studentpages.scad.edu/~jmoore26/playblast.avi
(http://studentpages.scad.edu/%7Ejmoore26/playblast.avi)

byvfx
02-21-2007, 10:03 PM
looking great! the tangents i was talkign about.. most are very small and i wouldnt worry about.. but i did mark up your pic with the one that was realllly bothering me. the playblast looked cool. should be good once you get it all together. keep us updated.

http://www.brandonyoungdesign.com/train_lighting_wip.jpg

Nydendarin
02-23-2007, 03:56 AM
Hey Jonathan!

It looks like you have some pretty sweet stuff goin on, I'm digging the matte painting (are you in perrone's class by chance?).

Anyways, in regards to critique, here's what I've got for ya.

I like the composition in this a lot, even though it's not all 'hip and snazzy', you did an excellent job of steering away from that 'center of the canvas' orientation, shifting over to a pretty decent 1/3 rule composition. The converging lines also help direct you straight to the light bloom down the tracks. I like the color pallet you've gone with as well, the warm red-tinted sky goes very well with the greenish pale-tan elements you have in the foreground, complementary colors for the win!

However, there are a few things that are bugging me. I'm not getting a feeling of atmosphereic distortion off in the distance. Yeah the elements get a little brighter, but the saturation stays relativly the same. A great way to solve this, especially since the majority of your scene is built up in 3D, render out your camera pass with Z-depth, bring it into shake, and use the Z-Depth-Key to key down the saturation values in the distance, and maybe even add a little bit of atmosphereic fog.

Also, the violent bright lights on the left hand side of the tracks aren't making much sense, as killer as those reflections, speculars, and blooms are looking. Becuase even though they're way blown out, their falloff seems way too steep and none of that light seems to effect the environment aside from the slight rim light you have on the cieling and the floor. I'd expect a light as bright as that to be tossing bounce all over the place, to be wrapping around your columns there, and perhaps even going so far as to hit the wall on the opposite side of the train tracks.

Aside from that, there are a few very very minor nit-picky things, but overall you have a fantastic compsition here, I can't wait to see further progress!

nickmarshallvfx
02-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Wow you transformed it in your update!!
Camera move looks good as far as I can see, and it looks nice and realistic. I agree with that tangent... a bit eye-catching, but other than that, sweet!!

Nick

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2007, 11:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.