PDA

View Full Version : starting matter painter few questions?

johnsmithIII
02-15-2007, 04:55 AM
Hey ppl im new to the forum. I have a few questions for an upcoming matter artist. I hav experience drawing. How is the blending between mountain layers and mountain layers to land achieved? Ive seen in a few paintings theres this sort of cloud atmosphere. Is it done with a gradient overlay or something similar like the burn tool to paint light? I also have a question pertaining to the rock textures. How do you brush detail in them within a photo? I only use photos manipulating havent started painting from scratch seein that you cant get photo realistic without photos. Any help id appreciate it thankkks

nickmarshallvfx
02-25-2007, 12:51 AM
Well I think you have a slightly incorrect view of how to achieve photorealism. To get the best results you have to start with a sketch and then work photos into it, not start with photos and try and make a matte from them. You need the painting skills because even in photoreal mattes there are often large areas that are painted. This is a sketch I did that shows the transition between mountain and ground plane that might help you, but I didn't exactly understand your question.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL762/3253510/9681213/225088557.jpg

If you can sketch a good transition between mountains and groundplane then its not as much pressure to get good photo ref of it coz you can show some of your painted transition and as long as you are a good artist it will pass as photoreal.

Nick

johnsmithIII
02-25-2007, 03:33 AM
Thanks alot man Im getting new info everyday to help my work. Im getting more into concept painting like you mentioned. Its good to start for your blue print. In this painting I added is the only work Im happy with so far. There needs some works on the mountains any suggestions thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2007, 03:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.