PDA

View Full Version : I Am Going To Murder The Pentool.

[msf]
02-26-2003, 11:47 PM
Does anyone have any links somewhere that can tell me the freaking basics and physics of this damned tool. I see so many people that seem to be in total control of it and I want to figure out how! Thanks.

Stroker
02-26-2003, 11:51 PM
Here's one:
http://www.gurusnetwork.com/tutorials/photoshop/pen1intro.html

gnarlycranium
03-08-2003, 11:54 PM
I too hate the Pen tool. Hate it, hate it. I keep asking myself, my computer, and the great sky above why, WHY they couldn't have just used the commands I'm used to in spline editing in MAX?!!!

This tutorial seems promising though. I will chew on it, and if I can't figure this stuff out.... well then, I'll just be REALLY mad. :annoyed:

You're just FULL of handy stuff today, aren't you Stroker? :D

dg
03-09-2003, 01:28 AM
Well I also don't like much the way bezier tools works in Adobe products but they work fine, I rather like the way corel draw deals with bezier tools, you have much more intuitive control over them. But what can we do!

See Ya!:beer:

Stroker
03-09-2003, 04:21 AM
I don't like how you can't manipulate one end of a Bezier in Max with out affecting the other half. Yeah, something like that. If one end is too steep but the other end is fine, gotta break, tweak, and re-Bezier. I hate that.

I highly recommend reading/browsing the rest of the PhotoShop tutorials over at Gurus' Network. One of the better collections on the 'Net. One of those tutorials is mine, but I'm not going to tell which one.

Sokowa
03-09-2003, 05:17 AM
Actually if you hold down shift (I think it's shift. I'm not at work to try it out) you can move the bezier handles individually :buttrock:

jah
03-09-2003, 05:28 PM
photoshop ain't a vector app so don't complaint about the pen/bezier tools... they're there only to perform simple operations.... to build complex bezier shapes use adobe illustrator, macromedia freehand or corel draw...

Hullabaloo
03-16-2003, 10:35 AM
yeah thats true, adobe photoshop isn't a vector program though i use illustrator and just import paths into photoshop and that does it for me.

jeroentje
03-16-2003, 11:30 AM
The beziers work just about the same as they do in illustrator :shrug:
The pen tool is a pretty cool one. I originally used it to make clipping paths, for eps exporting and importing in quarck-xpress without the background.
You can change a path to a selection, and that way you have more control over the shape of a selection compared to using the lassotool and all the other selection tools.
What I usually do is click in the anchor points, keeping all straight lines. And using the "convert point tool" to drag out the curves.

jah
03-16-2003, 05:26 PM
yeah true but i try to import all my vector art from another package 'cause u'll get smoother results... especially with type

imo of course

cheers :beer:

jeroentje
03-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Yes of course. The pen-tool is not for vector art in the first place. That's what I use Illustrator for ;)

Marcel
03-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Actually I'd like the Pen tools in Photoshop more than the splines in Max.
The goodness of it is that you can do everything without having to change tools, you can do all functions with the pen tool and keyboard shortcuts (CTRL and ALT).

Here is my basic procedure:

Make a rough, linear spline around the object you want.
Add points in between those points to create needed curvature.
Pull curves (press CTRL and pull the spline) to further tweak it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.