PDA

View Full Version : render the wireframe

Humorous03
02-14-2007, 11:35 PM
how do I get the green lines that appear in object mode to show up when I render a frame?

Thanks.

kirigoi
02-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Software? Maya maybe? All of the main software packages have options for specifying different render settings, but you'll need to be more specific to get exact tips. Generally, to get the nicest wireframe renders, you'll want to render out an alpha-type image of black wireframe lines on a white background, which you can then composite with a shaded render in Photoshop.

Humorous03
02-15-2007, 05:17 PM
sorry about the vaugeness. I'm using Maya8. So, I'd render one version normally, then render out another copy that's an alpha type image of black lines on a white background?

How do I do that in Maya 8?

kirigoi
02-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi Humerous, sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a bit.

I'm no Maya pro (I'm much better with Lightwave) and I don't have Maya 8, but I believe you probably want to investigate Maya's vector renderer.

First make sure it's loaded by going to Window->Settings/Preferences->Plug-in Manager. It should be listed as VectorRender.mll. Tick the loaded checkbox, and also the auto-load if you are likely to want to use it regularly.

In the Render Settings window choose to Render Using-> Maya Vector. In the Maya Vector options tag turn off Fill Objects (as you don't want the objects to be coloured), then in Edge Options choose Include Edges and set the Edge Style to Entire Mesh. Set the edge color to white, and make sure Hidden Edges is disabled (otherwise you'll get wires showing the back faces of the mesh as well). If you render now you should get a black image with white edges that you can save out as a bitmap with the same resolution as your high-quality render.

If you are likely to do this often you could set the vector render to be a seperate render layer so that both renders are done at the same time.

Finally, in Photoshop, Paint Shop or another 2D application, create a new layer on top of your normal render and fill it with a colour you want the edges to be (blue or black work quite well), then create an alpha mask for this layer. If you paste in the vector render you've just made as the mask, you should get coloured edges superimposed on a normal render. If you created an image with black lines on a white background (depending on how you've set up the scene this is sometimes quicker), you need to invert the mask at this point.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any problems. M

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2007, 11:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.