PDA

View Full Version : Eyes to the Skies - Mysterious Statue of the Ancients, Robert Tiess (3D)

Robertt
02-14-2007, 10:55 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/43717/43717_1171497328_medium.jpg

Title: Eyes to the Skies - Mysterious Statue of the Ancients
Name: Robert Tiess
Software: Blender

"Eyes to the Skies" is a project that began as a test of a new version of Blender (2.43 RC3) that very soon evolved into a full blown project once it became apparent that things were coming together so well.

An early view of the base mesh taken into Blender's new sculpt mode can be seen here:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r311/rtsketches/eyestotheskies-basemesh-byrjt2007.jpg

Procedural texture brushes were used in Blender to add details to the mesh along with other the sculpt tools (draw, smooth, grab, layer brush).

The mesh was also tweaked in various edit modes (vertice, edge, and face).

Terrain began as a plain and was subdivided and detailed using a similar sculpting/brushing method.

Proportional editing was also used to further adjust the terrain to suit the composition.

This entire scene consists of just 250k verts. I say "just" because often sculpted models can quickly get into the millions of vertices with a couple more subdivisions.

One goal to emerge in this project was to achieve optimal details without having to go to such geometrically expensive LOD as I have done in other recent sculpting projects. I am pleased with the results and will continue to explore the possibilities of this new toolset.

Thank you for viewing my work,

RobertT

Jassar
02-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Yup, another big leap from blender!

Nice detailing, though I feel the image is a little bit flat, but everything else is superb :)
Cheers

islaSyr
02-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Nice Idea

But u've used bump only on the shader next time use the displacement tech it's better for these objects..

also u've a problem with the unwrapping on the forehead..

I hope u success pal..

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2007, 04:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.