PDA

View Full Version : how do i create a volume light effect?

javi1024
02-14-2007, 07:46 PM
im making a dark sky and i want streaks of light to shine down in between the clouds. does anyone have any techniques or tutorials i could use? so far ive tried using a white shape and putting a black and white layer mask over it, but it didnt turn out the way i wanted.

Whipyo
02-15-2007, 12:33 AM
We made the following image using a Quantel Paintbox so I can't give you an exact photoshop tutorial but I can give an overview which might help:

http://www.boxstudio.com.au/t3.html

Roughly what we did was make a large square canvas. Fill with white. Using a hard brush make some medium size random black dots near the centre of the image. This will make more sense below.....

Then radial blur using the zoom option. You will need to use quite large blur settings here and you will need to apply the filter over and over again to get the right result. Applying the zoom blur 20 times is not uncommon.

You will see that those black dots are starting to form streaks. If it doesn't look right, start again from scratch and try different size, density and placement of the black dots. Try different amounts of zoom blur.

Once you are happy with your black and white streaky image, copy one of the channels and then use this copied channel as a mask.

There are heaps if different things you can now do.....just be a bit creative here.
You could make adjustment layers using the streak mask to lighten or darken parts of the image. You could use the mask on a new layer and just brush through some colour. You could invert your mask or alter the tonal range of the mask using curves or brightness/contrast or whatever. There are literally hundreds of ways you can use your mask. You could even create multiple masks using different settings and combine them in various ways. The possibilities are endess.

Post your results if you get any.....

Whipyo
02-15-2007, 02:21 AM
Oh, I forgot......check this recent thread.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=14&t=455740

Apparently there is a plug-in which may be of help. Its PC only though :sad:.....(I'm on a Mac).

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2007, 02:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.