PDA

View Full Version : Cache rigid bodies in combo with key active/passive. Buggy or user error? Maya 8.5...

NEO^AMiGA
02-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Heya.

Trying to cache 100 objects that falls down from mid air to the ground. They hit the ground one after another and settles down to rest position after like 50 frames. At that 50 frame marker I set a key so the active rigid bodies turns to passive ones.

All works fine when playing back. All even works fine for a while after it's cached. But then, all of a sudden it can start to freak out. When the active/passive key comes up in the timeline around frame 50 the object jumps back to it's start position/initial state position.

I can't find any reason for it to freak out and keying the active passive shouldn't be a problem? Right?

Is there some other way to cache rigid bodies? The solver cache feels buggy as hell. =((( I have tried to with the help of mel point and orient constraint a replacement object to the rigid bodies and then try to geometry cache that replacemnet object., But no luck there. =(((

Any suggestions?

NEO^AMiGA
02-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Oh man... Maya is really busting my balls now. =( Seems like always when I do something involving dynamics in maya i run into somekind of bug or short coming that in the end results in me having to work around the clock until i collapse. =( always the same story. And if it ain't a bug or short coming it's lack of knowledge. =(

Still stuck at this ridicolous problem. Seems like when there are many rigid bodies in a scene Maya chokes and for some reason the active rigid bodies snaps back to it's "initial state" position as soon as they are keyed to become passive (setKeyframe -v 0 -at "active" -t $frameNumber $rigidName;).
The thing is that it seems to work sometimes and sometimes not.

regarding the cache problem it seems like the solution was to boot into my Debian dist and run my 64bit maya there. It caches slower but the cache works, in opposit to the windows Maya. When it was cached I baked the keys. But that was only half part of the animation I need to do. The other part is where I get stuck on those active to passive keys. =(

Any input what so ever that might be of help is appriciated. I really have to get this project done asap!

Als
02-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Which version of maya are you using? If you have more versions, try using some other version up, or down, and see if this helps?
Sometimes in version 5, I coudn't bake the simulation at all. I would go to version 4.5 and this would bake all without any problems.
Check the timeline. See the value of the step. Try some other value then just 1, for example 1.01.

Hope it helps

Als

NEO^AMiGA
02-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Hey Als.

I have tried only in 8.5. Can't revert back to older versions now.

I have cached the simulation in:
64 bit 8.5 on linux (Debian etch 64bit). Simulation is slow as h*ll (Dual Opteron 275).
32 bit 8.5 on OSX. Simulation is LIGHTNING fast (MacPro and Universal Binary).
64 bit 8.5 on WinXP. Simulation is descent in speed
32 bit 8.5 on WinXP. Pretty slow simulation (Though pretty slow computer.)

The difference in simulation speed here is really strange. Linux box is the slowest and the mac is faster then them all together. Pretty strange.

Anyways, once the simulation is cached I can play it back once. I can not loop it. Then it freaks out. But the problem is now that as soon as i bake this it freaks out. Will try to change the settings of the baking and see what happens.

I'll get back with progress report.

Which version of maya are you using? If you have more versions, try using some other version up, or down, and see if this helps?
Sometimes in version 5, I coudn't bake the simulation at all. I would go to version 4.5 and this would bake all without any problems.
Check the timeline. See the value of the step. Try some other value then just 1, for example 1.01.

Hope it helps

Als

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2007, 08:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.