PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War II: DEEMER

nizzi
02-14-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm going to try and compete in the Dominance War this year. Hopefully I'll be able to find time to finish what I start.

Here are some of my early ideas:

http://www.joshnizzi.com/images/DW2/joshnizzi_DW_roughs.jpg

These are the two Iíve narrowed it down to at this point. For both of these concepts there is a basic theme that goes along with the DW2 story that the ancient civilization has been awakened and is joining the great war to put an end to the evil societies that have destroyed a planet and threaten to do more damage to the galaxy.

The idea for this first one is that the ancient society treats war as a ceremony. Warriors wear a headdress that helps to focus their power. This warrior wields giant blades that reference wings. These are controlled with her mind through the headdress.

http://www.joshnizzi.com/images/DW2/joshnizzi_DW_warangel.jpg

The idea behind this one is that this character is coming to judge and condemn the evil civilizations. He wields a giant stone tablet that has commandments inscribed on it. His energy flows to the tablet and visa versa.

http://www.joshnizzi.com/images/DW2/joshnizzi_DW_judgementred.jpg

http://www.joshnizzi.com/images/DW2/joshnizzi_DW_judgement.jpg

nizzi
02-14-2007, 08:49 AM
I wasn't really happy with any of the directions I had so I started another one. I liked where it was going and polished it up.

This is a similar idea to the tablet guy but a bit different. The column has the commandments of the ancients. He wields the column to deal judgment to those who have broken the commandments. The column is attached to a gauntlet on his arm so after throwing it he can pull it back to himself.

http://www.joshnizzi.com/images/DW2/joshnizzi_DW_deemerfinal1200.jpg

Yung
02-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Phua! Dang! The second concept is a killer! Remember to add glowies :D, cant wait to see this in 3d

Identity3D
02-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Holy S**t the new concept is amazing i love the idea of the column and the design of the character really makes you feel he's part of an ancient civilization. Keep up the great work cant wait to see more.

ColdKodiak
02-14-2007, 10:02 AM
new concept is rockin. Definately sets itself apart with that huge column (and a great visual too).

rasmusW
02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
hey josh!

-this has to be one of the coolest concepts i've seen in this challenge. great work.
btw. i just visted you site. i bet this one will be a killer-piece as the rest of your work.
keep it up.

-r

dmonk
02-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Wow I love that last one! Excellent way of incorporating the theme of the Ancients.

bcloward
02-14-2007, 02:56 PM
This is going to be really great, Josh. Can't wait too see how it turns out!

SeanB
02-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Love the column, best concept out of the batch. Did you consider putting something on the end of that column, like Grond, the battering ram from LOTR?

The rest of the character, especially the head and shoulders, look awesome. Maybe the neck guard should be perforated, so he's not totally blind on that side.

Mike Kopa
02-14-2007, 05:08 PM
dude, that's sick. lol I love the 2nd concept. Works much better that he's a more of a tank than the first concept. And I love the idea behind it with the giant stone with commandments... awesome stuff. I'll be watching this.

Airflow
02-14-2007, 05:20 PM
A very well thought out concept. Well executed too...

Erik1338
02-14-2007, 06:30 PM
sweet concept, that column will hurt

CarlosFratini
02-14-2007, 06:52 PM
My God! The new concept amazing!! loved!

ChrRambow
02-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Amazing concept! Just the concept alone is worth a win!
I will follow your progress for shure. :thumbsup:

SergioSantos
02-14-2007, 08:59 PM
You have a awesome bunch of concepts here!
congrats!

ximage
02-14-2007, 09:46 PM
that concept is just ace!!!

ximage

Obumbrata
02-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Now thats gonna be a sweet piece of behind kicking!! Keep the rythme man! ;)

fx81
02-15-2007, 02:26 AM
oh man, i am a fan of your works. i am pretty sure if you finish this it will be one of the top entries if not #1 in our team. good luck.

nacire
02-15-2007, 04:40 AM
I've been admiring your work for some years now Josh and I must say this doesn't dissappoint in the least. Very solid and very believable design.

Give him a pedestal that is a minature city laying in ruins due to the native people breaking the laws of the gods. Maybe he is the messenger of destruction sent by the gods themselves! The scale factor of that could really make this guy even more of a force. Hehe, nice work man, I can't wait to see the final of this guy.

nizzi
02-15-2007, 05:07 AM
Thanks so much guys!

SeanB: I tried that actually but then it wasn't a column any more. I thought the idea of the commandments inscribed on a column was more ancient feeling and fit well with the whole judgment theme. I did make the broken end of the column look like it broke in the form of a skull - see it? :)

nacire: thanks! I think that's a great idea for the pedestal.

onelung
02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
been a big fan for years, this looks liek a really nice piece, was a little weary at first, but it definetly came through... are you gonna have a blade on teh other arm, or massive hoops to connect the chain in? really like the tattoo's of the scriblings on the body as well. looking forward to the fight!

Captain Bigleux
02-16-2007, 12:28 AM
incredible artwork :eek:, for sure one of my fav entries.

superchickensoup
02-16-2007, 01:42 AM
Real nice, think it could win.

Quickel
02-16-2007, 06:48 PM
awesome work, man! i like the whole glowing thing you had going with the tablet..i'm wondering if you'll be able to work something like that in?

ninjacore
02-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Brilliant!

Just brilliant. i'll have to keep an eye on this one!

tucho
02-18-2007, 05:59 AM
cool concept, I'm impatient for see the model :-)

levin
02-18-2007, 08:14 PM
what can i say.. just... WOW! :eek::buttrock:

nizzi
02-19-2007, 05:06 AM
Thanks everybody. Here's where I am on the model - not too far. :) I'm trying out Mudbox for the first time and it seems pretty cool. Its a lot easier to use than Zbrush. I'm trying to figure out what detail i want to do in Max, Mudbox or hand paint.

http://www.joshnizzi.com/images/DW2/wipshots/deemerWIP01.jpg

ScudzAlmighty
02-19-2007, 05:09 AM
damn......

rasmusW
02-19-2007, 07:53 AM
hey josh!

nice start on the 3d.
can you share the low-res? -i would like to see how much is done in mudbox.

-r

Airflow
02-19-2007, 09:03 AM
I suggest, splitting up the mesh, so your solid stuff cand be done in max sub-d, organics in mud, for export into max. Bake in max, use the disp to make your diffuse...

Mantegra
02-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Very cool concept dude. Reminds me of the Tauren in Warcraft3 except it's human! I am currently using mudbox and I suggest for you to do the organic parts of your model like the muscles, skin, face of your character in mudbox and model the armour separately on your model in your 3D program rather than make it all in mudbox. It's just easier that way, but it's your model so up to you.

Scotcho
02-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Wicked model, I'll be watching this one. Great work.

brik
02-20-2007, 04:04 PM
cool...looks like the model is coming along. can't wait to see some tighter stuff..post!!

nizzi
02-21-2007, 05:12 AM
modeling out sections in max.....

http://www.joshnizzi.com/images/DW2/wipshots/deemerWIP04.jpg

fx81
02-21-2007, 05:48 AM
its interesting to see the way you have your arm posed. the arm looks bent almost at right angle around the elbow. wouldnt that cause distortions when arm is at rest position?

Yung
02-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Great model! Hmm I didn't know that this default pose works for games models as well. Btw, the belt straps in the body seems to be crashing with some of the bodies' vertices, would that cause some problems? But overall very exciting entry.

struve
02-23-2007, 09:16 PM
It's all about the final pose in this comp, so i don't think it's a bad idea doing what Nizzi has done with the arms. Normally i would say bending the arms, about 30 degrees or so, is best. A Straight arm is an extreme angle for the elbow. Even a slight bend enables you to work out the joint detail easily and would reduce stretching a bit.

Good start; hope to see more mudbox work from you on this.

BTW: CGTalk is going down, Polycounters Rule!! :twisted:

Pdude2K7
02-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Look good nizzi:) , Are you going to rig him or is that his final pose.

-Pdude2K7

jokko
03-02-2007, 05:28 AM
Hey Nizzi,
this is just a quick line to let you know I think your concept is brilliant. It is very powerful, extremely convincing, and the character has an incredible feeling of authority! I like the pose of the upper body a lot, especially the way the column is held, and the torso angled. I am wondering however if the lower body has the same "credibility" as the upper part. This is just a minor thought but what if he was resting his left foot on something? I suppose it'd be problematic since you don't have that many polygons to spend on something new. Ho well I don't know if I made sense, but the bottom line is: keep up the fantastic work, and good luck with mudbox

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2007, 05:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.