PDA

View Full Version : Image with transparent background

Moy
02-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Hi, i have a question maybe is simple but i don't know how to do it, well i have a 3d image in .jpg but this image has a white background so i want to put this image in illustrator but without the white background so is there a way i could save the image with a trasparent background or some way to erase the white background in photoshop?
Maybe another image format?

Thank you

kiwi8
02-14-2007, 11:40 AM
maybe png would work, or save as .psd without background
if not then in ps select all the white elements and make a path from selection and export path into illustrator and use path as clipping mask, bingo.
In ps/ai you can reshape path to get closer to the edges if it does a horrible job.
gl

thinksink
02-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Png would work but your best bet if your going to be bringing it over to illustrator is save it as a psd - standard photoshop file. However you need to get rid of the white background. JPEG (joint photographic expert group) file doesn't support transparencies As you know and automatically replaces transparencies with white. I'm not sure how your file looks but if there is a lot of contrast between the white background and the actual image you would like to crop out, I would suggest using the magic wand tool selecting the white and deleting it. There is better methods but it would take me sometime to explain. Let me know if this helps. And if I have some more time I could explain using a Mask instead (which is better because no information is lost from the original image)

Neil
02-16-2007, 09:32 PM
try posting the image you're working with.

I'm not certain, but in Illustrator can't you set a transparent color? So if you make the bg color of the piece (255,0,255) then you could just color key it out.

Otherwise, save as png (make sure the transparency is clicked when you do "save for web"). Or make an alpha channel and save as targa.

Moy
02-17-2007, 05:11 AM
Hi, thank you all.

It just worked for me, i selected the image and in a new layer i just put a transparent background then i paste my image in this new layer and saved it.

Thank you all anyway. :D

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2007, 05:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.