PDA

View Full Version : So.. does this thing work with Vista?

MikeMD
02-14-2007, 01:50 AM
Getting a new laptop, comes preloaded with Vista?

Anybody have experience with xsi and Vista? Or should I reformat as soon as I get it and install Win2kPro or XP?

Francky
02-14-2007, 02:18 AM
Well I have Vista Ultimate x64 running and XSI 6 works fine. The only Problem I'm having is with the dongle. Vista x64 requires that all drives be certified by Microsoft now. So this means that the drivers work fine for XP x64 but Vista refuses to run them even though they are fine.

Since you are on a laptop, my guess is you went with the 32 bit version, if thats the case, then everything should install and run fine :)

If not, you will have to run the license manager on another machine... a real problem for a laptop though.

(This damn pain about certified drivers now mandetory in Vista x64 really sucks. We can thank the MPAA and their demand for DRM at the driver level in Vista (DHCP))

SheepFactory
02-14-2007, 03:19 AM
Vista is not ready for primetime yet for cg work especially if you are going to be using the laptop for production. If its personal work you should be fine. Tuna here uses xsi on vista and he said it runs fine. SI license server does not run under vista so I have no idea how you would get xsi to work. I think you need to get the license from another machine.

JDex
02-14-2007, 03:20 AM
I know at GDC last year, Soft seemed very excited about working with Vista (they had been testing at that point for a bit)... I haven't seen any word for sure from Soft or users about compatability in 6.0, and have "0" clue about 5.11 on Vista.

From what I've seen of it so far of Vista, I rather run on Windows 98 than go to Vista... but that's neither here nor there.

MikeMD
02-14-2007, 03:45 AM
Well, I'm asking becaue this laptop seems to be the best deal by far ( 2GB ram, 160 gb HD, wide screen 1680 x 1050 , nVidia 7700) Seems like a no brainer, the only question was the OS. Used to come with XP Media Center, now comes with Vista.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220124

So I guess reformat and install XP, shouldn't be a problem if Vista isn't up to it.
I haven't seen anything for under $2000 with these specs.

Sbowling
02-14-2007, 04:43 AM
I know at GDC last year, Soft seemed very excited about working with Vista (they had been testing at that point for a bit)... I haven't seen any word for sure from Soft or users about compatability in 6.0, and have "0" clue about 5.11 on Vista.

From what I've seen of it so far of Vista, I rather run on Windows 98 than go to Vista... but that's neither here nor there.

You'd also rather run under OSX than XP from what I remember. :rolleyes: :D

I personally like vista a lot, although I've only used the prerelease version. The interface is very slick, and ,IMO, it's a much more intelligent and user friendly design than OSX. I will be buying the full version for one of my computers soon for further testing with XSI. I know the license server doesn't currently run under vista, so you would need to connect to another PC running the license server if you stick with vista.

Also, There were a few minor GUI issues with XSI5.x under vista, but they are supposed to be fixed in 6. I just got my copies of 6 yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to really test them out and I'm not even sure I can load vista anymore (I think it's supposed to time out) , since the release has been shipped.

ThE_JacO
02-14-2007, 05:08 AM
I would personally stay as far away from vista as it's possible for at least this year.
SPM doesn't run on it.
Several apps can have a few glitches that won't be hammered out until "the next release".
In general it's quite bloated, which doesn't make it ideal for a laptop, and it's not as easy as XP was to lean down.
Drivers support is getting there, but it's still not 100% there.

The stupid, but somewhat valid, rule of thumb of not installing an MS os until its first full service pack holds very true for me in the case of vista, and chances are that when XP will be obsolete enough to not be worth using anymore I'l probably have moved to linux entirely rather then using vista.

P.S.
I'm not an MS hater, and -definitely not- a linux fedayin.

JDex
02-14-2007, 05:08 AM
You'd also rather run under OSX than XP from what I remember. :rolleyes: :D

Actually I'd rather run in both... I'd rather have OSX as an option when I'm already at the Shake system... I'm hardly a macolyte or macochist.

BoostAbuse
02-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, I'm asking becaue this laptop seems to be the best deal by far ( 2GB ram, 160 gb HD, wide screen 1680 x 1050 , nVidia 7700) Seems like a no brainer, the only question was the OS. Used to come with XP Media Center, now comes with Vista.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220124

So I guess reformat and install XP, shouldn't be a problem if Vista isn't up to it.
I haven't seen anything for under $2000 with these specs.

You could always dual boot, you just need to swap your boot.ini file (there's a program that cnet had featured for allowing multiple boots on Vista machines as once you install something other than Vista, the stupid OS automatically assumes you don't want to use it anymore).

Side note, Vista's heavy, make sure you turn all your theme crap and uninstall any pre-packaged junk... I'm using Home Premium 32-bit on my laptop for cg stuff because the 64-bit support is crap right now; also have xp64 and suse installed for greater flexibility (it's my office to home laptop so I need to cover all bases).

Best bet, if you don't feel comfortable dual booting the laptop, stick with what Raff said and just steer clear of Vista until they get the first service pack or two out. Vista's just the trophy wife of operating systems, might look fancy but it just hogs all your resources.

-s

dwigfor
02-14-2007, 06:41 PM
If not, you will have to run the license manager on another machine... a real problem for a laptop though.

SI license server does not run under vista so I have no idea how you would get xsi to work. I think you need to get the license from another machine.

I know the license server doesn't currently run under vista, so you would need to connect to another PC running the license server if you stick with vista.

SPM doesn't run on it.

I guess this is a big misconception. SPM server --DOES-- run under Vista. The problem is with User Account Control (UAC). UAC are the prompts that frequently popup (for instance, when installing a new program, changing the clock, etc) requiring you to type in a password. By default, I was not allowed to Start the license server.

If you disable UAC (reduces the security of Vista, but nothing less than XP), you can start the license server and run XSI (v6, haven't tried v5) fine.

I've encountered a new display bug. When dragging to make a selection (with y key), it shows another layout inside my rectangle. I had 1 view maximized, and after drawing the rectangle selection, it showed my 4 view... Weird.

tuna
02-14-2007, 07:32 PM
I guess this is a big misconception. SPM server --DOES-- run under Vista. The problem is with User Account Control (UAC). UAC are the prompts that frequently popup (for instance, when installing a new program, changing the clock, etc) requiring you to type in a password. By default, I was not allowed to Start the license server.

dwigfor is right here. The SPM does work fine on Vista, but people are forgetting that you need to install the license server service as an administrator. Turning off UAC is one way, but its probably best to get used to running the installer as Administrator (in the properties or right click menu, etc.), and then installing the licensing server service from the license manager in the same way.

(This damn pain about certified drivers now mandetory in Vista x64 really sucks. We can thank the MPAA and their demand for DRM at the driver level in Vista (DHCP))

I don't want to derail, but you might want to look up what HDCP actually is, because it's got nothing to do with certified drivers in Vista64. HDCP is supported in Vista32 as well (although nothing uses it yet).

[edit] To add.. If you're doing anything important with XSI, don't run it on Vista yet! I've been quite lucky getting it working fine for what I need to do, but your milage may vary. OpenGL is still dog slow, and stability of various drivers fluctuate, depending on what sort of hardware setup you have.

ThE_JacO
02-14-2007, 11:26 PM

Last I heard from Soft it -does not-, and a new version is in the works that will (which normally means that something is past the point where only tweaking is needed to make it run).
However I could remember wrong, or have misunderstood somebody, so if Luc Eric or another insider could comment that would be more reliable info then I can provide.

Sbowling
02-15-2007, 04:32 AM
Last I heard from Soft it -does not-, and a new version is in the works that will (which normally means that something is past the point where only tweaking is needed to make it run).

That is the same thing I heard. In fact, after trying to install it under vista (with XSI 5.11) it caused problems that prevented vista from being able to boot. I was able to google a fix for the problem, but I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you are adventurous and have another computer to search the Internet for fixes on.

MikeMD
02-15-2007, 06:14 AM
Found one place that still sells it with xp, but it's media center edition. Don't know how that would work ( what is the difference when it comes to XSI between xp home or media center ? )

Seems like, buy it, wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of XP home or pro.

Edit: after some research, seems that windows xp media center should work the same as xp pro. Anybody knows somethig contrary to that speak now or forever hold you peace. ( is that the saying? )

T4D
02-15-2007, 08:42 AM
I'l probably have moved to linux entirely rather then using vista.

agree I'm looking for a linux machine now, I would prefer to support Linux then Vista

Linux was quicker then win 64 for XSI, I wonder how much quicker Linux over Vista ?

dwigfor
02-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Not sure with 5.11. At first, I followed one thread's suggestions to download new drivers for the iwire dongle. DO NOT DO THAT. That will cause your computer to BLUESCREEN when you boot! Only uninstalling everything cleanly will fix it.

Just installing v6 same as on xp worked fine (except I needed to disable UAC. I thought I even tried installing license server as Admin and it wouldn't start, so UAC is still disabled for now.

Media Center is the newest flava of XP. If you don't have a capture card, then you don't need the app Media Center, but the rest is the same.
XSI v6 RUNS under Vista. Softimage doesn't SUPPORT XSI under Vista. Yet. Similar to XSI runs under XP Home, even though Soft doesn't support it. Runs under geforce cards, unsupported, etc.

JDex
02-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Media Center is not officially support (AFAIK), but we have used FND 5.11 on it here and it works great... in fact, it really seems to have superior memory management. I have had a few scenes whose frames have finished consistantly on the Media Center PC w/ 1 GB of RAM where those same frames have failed consistantly on the 4GB machine in Advanced 5.11 (I guess it could be ADV vs FND, but I doubt it).

Sbowling
02-16-2007, 02:56 AM
[QUOTE=MikeMD]Found one place that still sells it with xp, but it's media center edition. Don't know how that would work ( what is the difference when it comes to XSI between xp home or media center ? )
QUOTE]

I have media center edition on several machines and it's almost identical to XP pro, except for a few things like Domains. I don't need domains and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary compared to XP in my daily use, so I can recomend XP MCE as a slightly cheaper alternative to XP pro. Just be sure you put the disks in in the right order when installing.

MikeMD
02-16-2007, 07:28 AM
It's all pre-installed right now, so I have to remove a lot of unnecessary apps. Probably won't get to try XSI until monday, but yes, so far it seems to be the same thing unless you launch media center.

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2007, 07:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.