PDA

View Full Version : Vue's possabilities fir games in how many ways ?

JSmustang
02-14-2007, 12:39 AM
I currently work with maya for animation and modeling, but wanted to use vue for a begining and end and in game sequence movies for my team. But we want to decide whats best suited for us, and since we can not get into contact with vue's staff to ask these questions, only if they would respond :( anyways. We wanted to ask from people who actually use it, and see what you would prefer.

Well, we know that if we get xstream we can use vue within maya, but there are other things we wanted to know if vue has the capabilities to do.

Is vue able to import and allow us to animate a rigged character by moving the joints ? or is pre animated characters only allowed ?

The last question we had, is if vue has the capability to export it's terrain into a readable format to allow us to use the terrain as an ingame level ?

I dont want to under estimate the powers vue has and i dont want to, over estimate and get to excited about it as well. But before we buy we want to know some of the best things with vue. Obviously aside from the price range wich would allow us to complete our game, we want to know if there is any other reasons we should or should not buy vue, other than for game movie scenes.

Mike.H
02-14-2007, 08:07 AM
well v6i do allow you to interact with a characters joints inside of vue, not sure how good that would turn out while doing serious animation tho since i havent realy used that feature much.

please take note that posing inside of vue only works with poser as far as i know, so you would have to export your maya chars to poser and then to vue, unless there´s a workaround i´ve missed of course.

as for exporting terrains,that depends on what formats your game engine requires, see my attachment for an v6i terrain export screencap.

IvanB
02-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi,

If I may...I use xStream and lightwave, The reason I got xstream was so I could use my animated (motionbuilder FBX etc) lightwave objects/characters with the vue environment/scene. Animate your object (in your case maya) use Vue xstream plugin to open vue to create your atmosphere terrains etc, and possible animate other objects, and render in (maya), No real need to animate characters in vue...works a treat.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hope its helped.

Ivan.

JSmustang
02-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Well we eventually wanted to turn completley to vue for animation, and ive read the errors people have gotten with maya. What we really just want to know is all about animation, because we base our whole funding on eachothers income we cant afford zstream, and dont want it to just have the export and plugin abilities to integrate.

I was reminded to ask about other decals or effects like rain ?

Mike.H
02-15-2007, 09:28 AM
well rain is simple to answer, there´s no way atm to make convincing rain in vue so scrap that, you´ll need to do rain in maya (ie. use xstream or import your vue terrain into maya, but xstream do make it better)

you could of course postwork the rain, depends completely on the look and feel you guys are after.

IvanB
02-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Heres a couple of rough test renders of LW objects running with Vue scene. Without harping on about xstream, you could also creat your rain in 3d app (maya), I know I can make rain in lightwave with emitters etc. Like Mike said vue ability to make rain is no so desirable.

http://www.esnips.com/web/Vue-6-xStream-examples

The-G-Man
02-15-2007, 10:52 AM
One of the most valuable lessons that I've learned in 3D work is DON'T try and do the whole job in one application. Composition is your friend here. Build your elements in your 3D app, then comp it in post. More control and less headaches in the long run.

JSmustang
02-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Well, we plan to keep it limited, but not limited to whare we cant achieve what our preset developed goals are. We are planning and thinking hard to use xstream to integrate with maya, but we dont know if the effect of vue will have an all over effect in maya as well. Maya tends to stress under conditions that vue can breezly cut through like butter. The networked machines we plan to use have more then the requirements met on there website, but we dont know if an integration with maya would still be so good ? would vues billions polygon effect be able to take effect on maya ?

For us maya starts to stress under around 3oo k to 4oo k polygons, where as the trial for vue took us to 900k in a simple 1,2,3 stroke and still handled so smoothly.

Since we use maya for most of our current animations and effects, we just wanted to know if the adjustable stages of integrating with maya and vue would help us more on the maya side ?

Since we use maya for alot of our work so far, we dont want to spend to much time worrying about animation in that program, where as vue might have the bone tool perhaps ?

Does vue have this ? or is this only integrated with mover 5 ? what comes in vue infinite or xstream do either of these come with the applications or are they always seperate.

What we are looking at mostly is animation, besides exporting landscapes, its mostly the enviroment for film sequences and character animations.

IvanB
02-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Hi,

I might not be the greatest help in your case as I dont use Maya, but this is how it works with Lightwave.

The vue scene that is present in LW is one object, no matter how many objects/trees etc you have in the vue app, they are one object in LW..

There is no bone type of features in Vue, you can't animate your 3D app characters, unless they are pre animated poser object (from my understanding) Vue doesnt handle these poser objects well, very slow, it seems to stuggle. (you can test this by adding your animated DAVE character that comes with vue).
When rendering in LW with a vue scene via the xstream plugin, It still uses the VUE render engine, only the LW objects are rendered by LW, then the vue engine renders, all from within LW. I have had scenes with heaps of trees cars etc, and LW has no problem with it.

JSmustang
02-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Another big thing we want to look into is the rendering, from what we read, the rendering is faster than most, if not all the other programs available to us at that price other than xsi. What we really plan to use vue for is mainly to add so much detail, but not to be limited to the eye view within it.

Say we want to render a fly by with our character on our test models (unanimated) just like a plan for instance, and plan to edit the landscape to an "our own feel" type setting, I am missunderstanding the potential of the seamingless feature for landscaping.

Does this feature mean that we can edit several virtual miles editing every milk and crany into the terrain, or is it segment type ? where we would edit one block of terrain and the block is copied over and over to provide an endless effect ?

These things are a puzzle to us as well, as we cant find any info on that seemingless feature to detail us all in.

chippwalters
02-20-2007, 01:59 AM
A couple things to consider:
1) I believe there is a Python script which will do object replacement. If not, it should be easy to make one. So, if you export your animated characters out as separate objects, you may be able to use them as 'animated' from within Vue. You can check out Python scripts at:
http://www.squidoo.com/vuepython/
For lots of characters, keep your texture maps small-- as large texture maps eat up lots of Vue's memory.

2) Check out Robert Czarny's website at: http://www.graphique3d.republika.pl/
Especially check out his Scenes area (Silent Spring: below, No one was watching, The men hunting) for some great examples of vista type scenes. He also shares some great techniques for poplulating acres and acres of terrains.

http://www.scenygr3d.republika.pl/SCENY/SilentSpring/FinalPicture.jpg

3) Miles and Miles? I kinda doubt it, I guess it depends on how many ecosystems you use and other stuff. Vue instances objects, so 100 trees for instance, take up only a bit more memory than 1 tree. Keep it in mind as you're building your scene. Be sure and test all along, including rendering out a frame at full resolution to see how much time it will take. Anti-aliasing in Vue can be tricky. Check Renderosity or Cornucopia for more info on how to best setup anti-aliasing.

4) Just jump in and see what can be done! Within the first week or so, you should get a feel for the boundries of the product. Good luck!

JSmustang
02-22-2007, 12:47 AM
well, just one last question, to point out with the editing of maps. We, and especially I am interested so much with the presentation videos and guided tour where it says, infinite detailed terrains, and the fly throughs, and fly byes of the camera through infinite and vast terrains, what we really want to know is how is this ability used ? is the infinite terrain just a phrase for only a fake un manualy un-editable terrain, and only able to edit a certain limited block of terrain ? thats the only thing thats blocking us, is that we want to create vast terrains in our own mind and our own detail, but dont want it to be limited to where we are allowed to go! is there a limit or can we fly through an infinite amount of terrain with the camera ? thats the biggest confusion for us.

chippwalters
02-22-2007, 03:14 AM
Infinite terrains refer to procedural terrains, which can stretch on as long as you like (I suppose within some limits) with a great level of detail. Infinite does not refer to ecosytem objects, though I imagine with enough memory one could travel miles and miles and miles flying over a forest.

Phillipe Bouyer used to have a website at belino.net which had some amazing flyovers which went on and on. But his site is down now.

IvanB
02-22-2007, 06:27 AM
Heres my crap version of a flyover a large city.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/72e161ef-990a-499f-9d92-ad9668b72480/FlyOver

JSmustang
02-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Thank you all for helping us with our questions! i guess ill leave just one last question i suppose :)

what of the cameras in vue ? placement of a moveable camera and rendering the cameras actions, is it close to or same as in maya ?

IvanB
02-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Hi,
The final release of vue6 Infinite and xStream were released the other day, and I recieved a news letter letting me know. In the newsletter the paragraph below was written. Just incase you happen to be using any of the maya versions.

xStream users, please note: because of an incompatibility between Maya and Visual Studio SP1, the final release version of Vue 6 xStream does not include support for Maya 8 64bit and Maya 8.5. Autodesk acknowledged this issue and are currently fixing the problem.
Support for these platforms will be available within a future software update at no additional cost

JSmustang
02-24-2007, 07:57 PM
ahh :(, this is both terribal and not, I guess we might just go with infinite and not xstream then :|

But vue has its own moveable cameras yes ?

IvanB
02-25-2007, 05:40 AM
Hi,

Vue definatly has got camera's and detailed control over them. Vue 6 Infinite is probably a good way to go, cos you can sidegrade to xstream if need be.

Heres an image of the vue interphase with camera controls.

Check this link out for more Vue 6 infinite features.

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_6_infinite/?page=1

JSmustang
02-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Thank you, well we plan to choose vue 6 infinite over all else, mostly for its rendering and much many more of the other capabilities that dont come with other versions, since we plan to have 2 of our guys work with vue, me and our film director, well just go with vues ability to install it on other computers un-networked. Anyways, just a silly question, but is personal opinion!

would you suggest anything different besides vue and any of the bryce programs ? for what we plan to use either for ? just as an assurance that we are getting something that will last us for a few years.

Mike.H
02-26-2007, 06:37 AM
nope as far as landscape.scenery apps goes i woudnt advice you to look at anything else then v6i/xstream, forget about bryce, it´s way behind and since we´re talking about using your 3d landscape app together with your existing pipeline there realy isnt any other option then v6.

tg2 might have been an alternative quality wise but considering your demands i cant recomend anything besides vue6 for ya.

MrHobby
02-27-2007, 02:06 AM
Hi all,
just wanted to chimm in and say that i've been playing and have come up with an idea on getting maya 8.5 objects meaning animated models, ncloth, hair simulations and so on into vue for scene rendering with vues atmosphere. However this is not quick and should not even be concidered for serious pipeline, but would be no longer than creating any hyper-realistic animation with frame by frame compositing.

1.) Model a character in Maya.
2.) Create your animation sequence.
3.) Moving frame by frame, export the animated object as a .obj file. (save the object's position as a file to disk every frame of the animation.)
4.) Import the first framed object file into vue.
5.) Set your scene with the object's mesh and render the image.
6.) Repeat for everyfrome of the animation.
7.) Piece the images together and enjoy.

Now you have complex model in full animation, with effects, rendered in your vue enviroment.
You could probably even make a mel script that will quickly export all the frames in one click.
The only problem is you have to texture the object in vue. But if need be you can create your own custom shaders in vue made from the material of the maya shaders you want to use.

Like i said, it's not fast but it works.

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2007, 02:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.