PDA

View Full Version : TUTORIAL - Composition Tools for Painter users - by Mu

Mu
02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi,

I have been watching the marketing videos for Painter X and I really liked the idea of a handy composition tool they added to Painter X.

As I thought there could be a workaround for me (not seeing an upgrade after double checking my wallet...:D ) I created an image portfolio of composition related graphic overlays.

- a tracing of a fibonacci curve (source file licensed under creative commons in the wikipedia)

- an iconic composition grid

- a spiral layer

- a radial layer

all of them blindly put together look like this...:D
http://www.muratkayi.de/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/screenie%7E0.jpg

What can you do with it?

Check your composition! I think it's also a great tool for learning from the masters!

This is how it works:

- you have to use Painter (don't know which version introduced image portfolios?)

- you download the graphics portfolio here (http://www.muratkayi.de/downloads/composition.zip)

- you unzip it and place it somewhere on your PC where you can easily locate it

- you start Painter

- open the image portfolio palette under the menu item "window"

- Click the small triangle in the Image Portfolio Dialog and select [open library]

- Locate and select the composition.POR file and click [open]

- you drag&drop a composition template over your existing image. It will be added as a new layer set to multiply (to make the white bg transparent)

To make the composition template fit to your image or purposes, just right-click it (provided you have highlighted the layer of the template, but that is the case by default shortly after you dropped in on your image) and choose "free transform".
You get some handles you can use to scale, shear and rotate the entire layer (and thus the template!).

- use shift click on a corner handle to proportionally scale the template

- use ctrl-click on a corner handle to rotate the template

- use ctrl-click on any non-corner handle to shear the template

- to quickly mirror the template horizontally or vertically, just use the menu items under Effects->Alignment (direct translation here, dont know if it's the same in english, heh)

SylvanMist
02-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Oh cool, thank you so much Mu! I also thought that the composition tools in PainterX were a nice addition, and figured they could be pretty easily done like this.
It was very nice of you to put this together for us :)

Jinbrown
02-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Hi,

I have been watching the marketing videos for Painter X and I really liked the idea of a handy composition tool they added to Painter X.

As I thought there could be a workaround for me (not seeing an upgrade after double checking my wallet...:D ) I created a graphics portfolio of composition related graphic overlays.

- a tracing of a fibonacci curve (source file licensed under creative commons in the wikipedia)

- an iconic composition grid

- a spiral layer

- a radial layer

all of them blindly put together look like this...:D
http://www.muratkayi.de/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/screenie%7E0.jpg

What can you do with it?

Check your composition! I think it's also a great tool for learning from the masters!

This is how it works:

- you have to use Painter (don't know which version introduced graphics portfolios?)

In the English Painter versions, this is called the Image Portfolio.

The Image Portfolio is avalable in Painter 6 to to 6.1, Painter 7 and 7.1, Painter 8 and 8.1, Painter IX, IX 9.1, and IX.5, and Painter X.

- you download the graphics portfolio here (http://www.muratkayi.de/downloads/composition.zip)

- you unzip it and place it somewhere on your PC where you can easily locate it

- you start Painter and open the graphics portfolio (open the graphics portfolio palette under the menu item "windows" and then use the little triangle in the palette to open the palette's menu)

English Painter Versions:

To open the Image Portfolio, use Window > Show Image Portfolio.

- you drag&drop a composition template over your existing image. It will be added as a new layer set to multiply (to make the white bg transparent)

To make the composition template fit to your image or purposes, just right-click it (provided you have highlighted the layer of the template, but that is the case by default shortly after you dropped in on your image) and choose "free transform".
You get some handles you can use to scale, shear and rotate the entire layer (and thus the template!).

- use shift click on a corner handle to proportionally scale the template

- use ctrl-click on a corner handle to rotate the template

- use ctrl-click on any non-corner handle to shear the template

- to quickly mirror the template horizontally or vertically, just use the menu items under Effects->Alignment (direct translation here, dont know if it's the same in english, heh)

English Painter Versions, to mirror the image Layer either horizontally or vertically:

Effects > Orientation > Flip Horizontal

Effects > Orientation > Flip Vertical

NR43
02-14-2007, 06:21 AM
Hey this looks indeed pretty cool

Will check this out as soon as I get home from work!

Thanks Mu and Jinbrown

Mu
02-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey Jin,

thanks for takin the time to translate the details into english and for additional information!

Roja, Johan and all the others: my pleasure. Would be cool to let me know if the stuff does not work as expected or could be improved, because I only checked those myself (I had Llynna check a previous version, though, thank you...:wavey: )

Rebeccak
02-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Thank you Mu! This is very cool of you to do, and quite brilliant. :)

NR43
02-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Well it works as you said Mu

just one thing you didn't mention (or I overlooked it):

1.Start Painter (English version)
2.go [Window][Show Image Portfolio]
3.Click the small triangle in the Image Portfolio Dialog and select [open library]
4. Locate and select the composition.POR file and click [open]

As soon as you do that the default image portfolio is replaced by the one you've provided.

Great stuff... now I just gotta learn about composition so I can use this handy tool lol

Mu
02-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Hi Johan,

I thought I had made that clear, but your clarification is a bit more concise, so I took the liberty to add it into my first post, if that's okay with you.

thanks!

:wavey:

Gord-MacDonald
02-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Sweet!

Gord

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2007, 04:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.