PDA

View Full Version : XSI Foundation - no animations?

lowkey
02-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm interested in Softimage XSI Foundation. Is it possible to render animations without an implemented batchrenderer or is Foundation limited to stills? How about the shading tree, is it available in Foundation?

What core features are missing anyway, is there a comparison chart somewhere to view the differences between versions??

Thanks a lot! :thumbups:

oglu
02-13-2007, 12:34 PM
take a look...
http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/model_comparison/detailed.aspx

no patch/satellite rendering in xsi foundation...
and only 2 CPUs (sockets) for mental ray render...

if this is enough render power you can render wat ever you want...

and the construction modes under modeling are also awailable in foundation...
i think this is a mistake in the list...?

WillBellJr
02-13-2007, 01:34 PM
XSI Foundation is a GREAT BUY considering what you get!

The only thing I'd like to see added (at additional cost) is the HAIR - similar to Sasquatch for Lightwave, I'd be willing to pay $500+ for a hair solution for XSI (< Advanced)

I finally made the jump to ESS and I'm loving it (sans the growing pains of v6) - Bought myself the Digital Tutors Introduction to XSI 5 (figgas now they'd come out with v6! :shrug: ) and Introduction to Mental Ray.

In comparision to other tutorials I purchased for XSI (which was outdated referencing older versions and had screen size limitations) the Digital Tutors discs were WONDERFUL (and not node locked either! :rolleyes: ) Highly recommended if you're learning XSI :thumbsup:

I plan on using my $10 coupon (lol) and get more discs from them - prolly the UV and Modeling discs next even though I've become quite comfortable with modeling in XSI now - we'll see about that one...

Anyway download the FND demo and take a gander.

Not to keep plugging Digital Tutorals, but you can go to their site - they have a BUNCH of free XSI tutorials to get you in the XSI Frame of Mind...

-Will

luceric
02-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't anyone is answering the question clearly.

Foundation is not limited to render stills.
What it can't do is render from a batch file; you need to press the 'Render' button in the user interface. It's really no big deal.

3dtutorial
02-13-2007, 03:57 PM
XSI Foundation is a GREAT BUY considering what you get!

In comparision to other tutorials I purchased for XSI (which was outdated referencing older versions and had screen size limitations) the Digital Tutors discs were WONDERFUL (and not node locked either! :rolleyes: ) Highly recommended if you're learning XSI :thumbsup:
-Will

I'm not sure who's products you are talking about.... but so that there is no confusion please be aware that...

1. Training titles by 3dtutorial.com have no screen size limitations.

2. Training titles by 3dtutorial.com are NOT node-locked and use fully floating licenses only.

Just to set the record straight.

BTW - Enjoy that Digital Tutors training, they make great products!

Cheers,

Joe

Xevious
02-13-2007, 06:59 PM
I was thinking about buying this when I get a new computer this summer. I just hope it runs well under 64 bit windows....

JDex
02-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I was thinking about buying this when I get a new computer this summer. I just hope it runs well under 64 bit windows....

I believe that there is no 64bit version of Foundations (please someone correct me if I am mistaken). Though it is 32bit however, it should run on Windows 64bit. The flavors of XSI that do run in 64bit are Essentials and Advanced.

Obizzz
02-13-2007, 07:36 PM
That is correct JDex

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/model_comparison/detailed.aspx

Xevious
02-14-2007, 04:02 AM
I believe that there is no 64bit version of Foundations (please someone correct me if I am mistaken). Though it is 32bit however, it should run on Windows 64bit. The flavors of XSI that do run in 64bit are Essentials and Advanced.

If it works in 64 bit than thats fine. Is there an upgrade path? Suppose I outgrow Foundations and want to get Essentials, Can I call Softimage to upgrade?

JDex
02-14-2007, 05:06 AM
If it works in 64 bit than thats fine. Is there an upgrade path? Suppose I outgrow Foundations and want to get Essentials, Can I call Softimage to upgrade?

I believe that if you buy FND 6.0, and then want to upgrade to ESS before 6.5 or 7.0 or whatever paid release is next, then they will deduct the FND cost from the ESS cost... if you wait until the next version though, there will be no discount (well unless they have a promo or something)... you are best off to ask Softimage directly at sales@softimage.com

They are very friendly and helpful.

liquidik
02-14-2007, 04:34 PM
JDex is correct. They will cut the cost of foundation 6 is you upgrade to ess 6 before the next major release. And also, from xsi 4, there's always been an upgrade path from fnd previous version to the new one for a limited amount of time.

Gian

Xevious
02-14-2007, 06:50 PM
You guys are really helpful! Thanks for all your information.

WillBellJr
02-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Always check sharbor.com for the best Softimage upgrade pricing...

-Will

Xevious
02-15-2007, 12:51 AM
Always check sharbor.com for the best Softimage upgrade pricing...

-Will

Softimage is no longer on the Sharbor website. Its also delisted from the Softimage resellers page.

WillBellJr
02-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Hmmm - wonder what happened?? That's where I got my upgrade from? FND-> ESS $1295

Wonder if this had to do with v6 and all the key probs and customers being upset and wanting returns?? Of course just guessing on my part.

-Will

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2007, 08:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.