PDA

View Full Version : How do rig/skin a fat character?

E.T
02-26-2003, 04:37 PM
Ive been trying to skin&rig this bearcharacter for some time now, and he is sort of fat. Meaning that his hips is not placed as far down in the body as they would be on a human. Or rather: his hips are pretty large i guess.
Anyway, no matter what i do it seems his belly distorts rather badly. Or if i get the belly to work, the legs distort.
Ive been trying in max5, and in xsi.

So now finally im asking you guys:
How the heck do i rig/skin him?

Please help as im running out of ideas.
All my characters seem to have a nonproportional build, so this wont be the last time i need to know.

sanostol
02-26-2003, 05:38 PM
hi,
You have to see what bones and deformers inflende this aerea and how they are weighted. You will not get a prober result without additional tweaking.
One way would be to at least in xsi to link the orientation of the leg bone with a shape animation of the envelope ( atl least in XSI this is easy to setup and you get good results)
the other method could be, that you add deformers to the envelope that give You more control over it.

I think a lot of tds have also a lot of different solutions for this, is a thing of flavour. but maybe this could be a solution for You.

Greetings Sanostol

E.T
02-26-2003, 07:07 PM
Thanks!

Ill try to set it up in xsi, though im still new to it. It seems straightforward enough.

This is just so annoying. I can rig a normal human but not a f---ing bear.:annoyed:

oh well, maybe this will work for me ;)

Anyone else has any ideas on how to make it work? how would you rig it? where would you place the hipbones etc. ?

Octagon
03-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by E.T
Thanks!
[...]
Anyone else has any ideas on how to make it work? how would you rig it? where would you place the hipbones etc. ?

your bear sketch looks like you have an area of "bear tissue" between the legs that needs to be free of influence of the legs bones.
so try to insert additional helper joints at the pelvis that keep that areas volume.

placing the hip bones shouldnt be a problem as the rough anatomy of the bear corresponds to a human body. just eye ball the location of the hip or try different locations with a default weighting (its better to quickly test some different joint locations than to think really hard and long about where to place it in this case, i think ;) )

hope this helped.
matthias

E.T
03-04-2003, 10:25 AM
ive always found that the more things i introduce, the more troubles i also get.

But i think maybe thats the way to go. Ive settled for a max/CS4 solution now, as thats what ive gotten the farthest with.

Ill give it a go though.

(and btw, ive already tried the try everything model, this is the last stage of it ;) )

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.