PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave reference character workflow?

vapulus
02-26-2003, 02:53 PM
I've been using LW for friggin' ever, but I've done most of my recent character work in maya (friggin' school, doens't let me choose). Now, in maya (and other single-prog apps), you use reference models in a scene. In a LW production environment, what's the best thing to do to use the exact same character and setup in several different scenes?

Like...what's the best way to keep all of your setup character in one file, and have everything draw from that one file? Obviously, you have all of your MODEL in a single model file (which I've always loved), but that doesn't actually store your setup, unless you're using smartgons, and I don't like using any plugins that I don't 100% have to use, just for future compatibility reasons.

Do you just "load items from scene", and have a single scene with the setup character? The problem I see with that, is what if you change a slight placement of the bones or something in the original file...can you "replace" with the new one, or will that just destroy all of the work in the current scene?

I'm just finally getting around to doing my character work in LW, and I'd like to make as few stupid mistakes as possible. =)
Thanks.

SplineGod
02-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Just do like you said, load from scene.
You can also easily swap bodies and resave that too so you can load from scene later. If you need a variant setup save it as a separate scene file. Thats what we did on Max Steel and Dan Dare. :)

vapulus
02-26-2003, 06:17 PM
That works, I suppose. =) Good enough. I hope there's eventually something like smartgons that gets included as standard in LW, though. It'd be nice to have an entire character and setup in one model file. =)

SplineGod
02-26-2003, 06:49 PM
I actually prefer the scene file method. Its far more flexible IMO.
This allows you to import characters from other scenes with animations intact or other settings. There is a very cool plugin you should DL from flay called Load from Scene plus. :)

vapulus
02-26-2003, 06:53 PM
Well, I mean, it'd be nice to have both options. =)
I'll check out that plugin, too. =D
Thanks, SG.

Facial Deluxe
02-26-2003, 07:44 PM
The Load from Scene plus Pluggins is awesome !! Thanx a lot for this Larry :wip:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.