PDA

View Full Version : Digital Fusion Question

JupiterSunset
02-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Hi there!

Trying the demo of DF and having a question...
Is it possible to drive an effects value with a ramp, as in Maya for example?

If Iīd like to make a gradient blur to an image, but not by fading between the blurred and the non-blurred one, I need to somehow drive the "blur intensity" value with a ramp or an expression. Tried with expressions but failed.

Anyone can help?

//thanks a lot;
//jupitersunset;

Kaiser_Sose
02-27-2003, 03:58 AM
every tool has a blend control ... maybe try animating the blend in / out

jugger
03-04-2003, 12:45 AM
if i understand you correctly you want to blur an image based on the gradient values? if i'm correct do the following.

load or generate the gradient (loader/background tool)
load the image you want to blur and add the blur tool afterwards.
display the blur tool in any viewport.
add an bitmap mask to the blur (rightclick effect mask/bitmap)
you'll see the mask appearing on the mask tab of the blur tool.
go for it and open the controls
drag and drop your gradient loader/background from the flow into the "drop tools here" area. switch to luminance channel and your done.
now the blur blurs on the intesity of the gradient. as you can also feed animated image sequences into such bitmap mask they are an often overlooked powerful tool..

JupiterSunset
03-04-2003, 09:12 AM
thanks, franky.

this showed me a new way of adding an effect mask, but its similar to adding say a rectangular mask with a soft edge in the way that the output is a blend/fade between the blurred and the non-blurred image. thats nice for color-corrections most of the time, but a blur looks different if itīs applied partially. like a shift-focus lens.

isnīt there a way to drive the blur value by a gradient directly?

anyone?
thanks guys

jugger
03-04-2003, 12:57 PM
uhm.. i dont know what do you expect.
with this bitmap mask the blur value willbe interpolated from black=0 to white=the max blure value set with the blur slider.

if you can illustrate with an image the difference you're speaking about? the difference between your wanted blur and the one results from the bitmap mask?

technically the bitmap mask is the same as a polygon mask. but the bitmaps are way more flexible. i used them often for faking depth blur for instance with a rendered b/w picture....

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.