PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing?

Solve
02-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Just wondering if you guys used the 3D softwares smooth feature for low poly work or do you smooth manually?

The poly count soars 3x when I use auto smooth. :thumbsdow

So how do you guys do it?

niklmauz
02-26-2003, 02:08 PM
If you're using Max then you should use smoothing groups rather than applying meshsmooth. Just scroll down to surface properties in the command panel.
I'm not sure about other programs, tho.

Hope this helps.

Ta, Niku.

Solve
02-26-2003, 02:56 PM
Using Maya 4.5 .

Anyone know if Maya has a feature like that?

modeling-man
02-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Yes Maya has smoothing groups. Well sort of.
It smooths edges, I find Max's smoothing groups to be a little more intuitive since just group the faces then give them a grouping number.
With Maya however you select the edges you would like to smooth together, or appear hard. Same concept just implemented differently.

This type of smoothing can be found under:
edit_polygons>normals>soften/harden

Hope that answers your question.
B

Dun
02-26-2003, 03:05 PM
I use Max, not Maya... But...

Smoothing groups will give you vertex normals to allow smooth shading across edges. It doesn't help with geometry.

As far as geometry goes.... manual poly pushing all the way for low poly work. - Unless your using a graphics engine with real-time tesselation.

Hope that helps a bit.

Wintermute
02-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Does anybody know what would the lightwave equivalent to this be? and how to implement it for various game engines?

I'm working on some low-poly models that could benefit greatly from some smoothing that would make it into the game without adding geometry.

Jonny Bubonic
02-27-2003, 01:32 PM
Just a quick addition to modelling-man's post about smoothing in Maya...you may need to "unlock Normals" first, otherwise you can get unpredictable results. That's in Edit Polygons>Set Vertex Normal>Options. Do this if your softening or hardening attempts don't seem to be doing anything.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.