PDA

View Full Version : separating bumps from colors...?

shadowedge
02-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone!

Just a quick question about mixing in the render tree or in render passes.

I have a character, with a plain phong on it. However, it has some detailed normal mapping. What I want to do is, keep the normal map data, while rendering just a plain constant color on the geometry.

I wasn't all that successful with experimenting on passes as well :sad:

thanks in advance. :love:

Chris-TC
02-12-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't understand the question.
If you use a constant color, then obviously you will get absolutely no shading, therefore you will not be able to see any bump or normal map.

shadowedge
02-13-2007, 11:20 AM
oops, correction on my wording:

What I want to do is, keep the normal map data, while rendering just a plain constant color on the geometry.

"as plain a color as possible"

Anyway I was also told at the same thing at XSIbase. So Im currently experimenting with Toon Paint and Host since the colors are flat. To some degree I'm getting reuslts but Im not sure if I'm on the right path.

Chris-TC
02-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, in that case here's what you can do:
Use a constant shader, but drive its color via an incidence node.

Your render tree should look like this:
Incidence --> Gradient Mixer -> Constant

Set the incidence to "Surface/Lights".
Define two colors for the gradient. On the left side of the gradient you define a slightly darker color, and on the right side you define a slightly brighter color. The more these two colors differ from each other the more shading you will get.
If the colors are identical, you will get no shading.

shadowedge
02-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Chris,

Many many thanks! I really appreciate the help! :thumbsup:

I was able to make a comparison between this technique and the technique I used with Toon paint. They achieved rather similar results.

Your method though, was more practical. But what I'm really greatful for is that, the info gave me a better understanding of how shaders work. Thanks man!

J

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2007, 05:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.