PDA

View Full Version : Basic Modeling Questions

Dist
02-12-2007, 03:46 AM
Hey. I'm only still fairly new to modeling and have a couple fairly simple questions.

Why do you have to model in 4 sided polys? Why can't you use 3 sided?
If you're modeling an asset for a game, does it have to be only one object? An example is the gun below. The circle area shows where the handle and the main body of the gun are separated. If I do need to join them, how do I do it? I tried to target weld, but as they're two separate objects I am unable to do it.
In a next-gen title (Unreal Tournament 3 for example), roughly how many polys can a character model have?
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/9384/examplesq9.jpg

zerocool
02-12-2007, 04:16 AM
hey man, im new to modeling as well, but to attach it i would just use 'attach' in the editable poly menu.. there maybe a more efficent way, i would also like to know.

as for your first question, im not sure.

Mr. D
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Hello

1) Don't have to use Quads, but Quads (two co-planar Tri's) can share a single normal. Normals are used to calculate shading. Less normals less time in calculations, more speed for game. You can use Tri's but decide where to make he best use

2) no need to leave gun as 2 pieces, join and weld.

3) Poly numbers can be all over the place (importance of character, position relative to camera- how close you ever get to it, how many levels of display will the character need-LOD's, how many need to be displayed on screen at one time...
Best thing is start low say 1200 polys, and drop it in-engine to see how it looks and if engine frame rate affected. If OK, subdivide the mesh so you have 3000 polys or so and redrop in-engine, again checking for engine changes. Do not build artwork that causes the game engine to chug-loose frame rate, this is bad.

This is a roughed out character, do not waste time building a full on game model until you test to see what you engine will handle.

Mr. D

Ricky15
02-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Hello

1) Don't have to use Quads, but Quads (two co-planar Tri's) can share a single normal. Normals are used to calculate shading. Less normals less time in calculations, more speed for game. You can use Tri's but decide where to make he best use

2) no need to leave gun as 2 pieces, join and weld.

3) Poly numbers can be all over the place (importance of character, position relative to camera- how close you ever get to it, how many levels of display will the character need-LOD's, how many need to be displayed on screen at one time...
Best thing is start low say 1200 polys, and drop it in-engine to see how it looks and if engine frame rate affected. If OK, subdivide the mesh so you have 3000 polys or so and redrop in-engine, again checking for engine changes. Do not build artwork that causes the game engine to chug-loose frame rate, this is bad.

This is a roughed out character, do not waste time building a full on game model until you test to see what you engine will handle.

Mr. D:applause:

very true, but also remember that the poly count is not the only thing the affects the game engine. the res of your texture and if they have bump, normal maps on them really impacts the frame rate :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2007, 06:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.