PDA

View Full Version : Bevel Problems

MacManiax
02-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Hello, i am modelling a gear/cog for some lighting/material test and am having a few problems. I want the teeth of the gear to have rounded edges.When I tried to apply the bevel to certain edges they intersect with the rest of the mesh. So i tried to bevel the whole mesh and it seems to work alright except i cant get the mesh to look smooth where i want. the picture shows the problem better. I want the rounded edges but not hard edges. Any help or sugguestions would be appreciated.
http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=helpfi7.jpg

curannon
02-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Well sinnce there is no wire I can't be totally sure but it seems like the beveling that creates the hard outher edges extends all the way around so it will create a hard edge on the inside aswell. You have to end the bevelling before reaching the inside of the cog. Just end them on the flat areas above.

zedsdead
02-21-2007, 10:14 AM
you want a cheat? select all the faces on the outside of the cog, extrude (maya) pull them out a little (z i believe), and then just scale them in the y, the farther you pull them the more rounded they will be. for the hard edge select all the faces on the inside of the cog, and extrude them but only scale them a tiny bit in y, and you'll have your hard edge, might havta pull them out a bit.

sometimes the bevel just doesnt work for all applications unless your topology is uniform. (but then i dont see why it wouldnt be, its a pretty simple peice, next time post the wireframe)

z+

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2007, 10:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.