PDA

View Full Version : XSI 6 Licence Manager Nightmare

Xeoxi
02-11-2007, 09:23 PM
All Righty, Am I the Only one? I started my xsi 6 up to day and its telling me that there is no interactive Licence avaliable, huh what? so I go to load the DB throught the Licence Manager and I an error telling me that my SYSID is invalid? wow thats amazing since nothing has changed on my system.....um , HAs anyone experienced this , or am I going bonkers?

madheavy
02-11-2007, 10:17 PM
THat happens to me when my PC goes into hibernate or standby mode. If I stop the server and restart it, it usually fixes it, if not, I have to restart it.

Also, make sure that you're connected to the internet, without that, it won't work (I believe)

Xeoxi
02-11-2007, 11:05 PM
nope, no go, it fails to start the licence is saying that my sysID is diffrent then the licence, sooooo I gave um a phone , but hey I guess they have lives too , there not open for issues untill monday...... ya like projects have weekends off, god bless deadLines....... meh I'm a reg user so , hope they can fix it , or meh I'll turf it and go back to a pure autodesk pipline .......grrrr

Till monday huza!

bmwolf
02-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Weird... mine did this today too! I moved the computer to a new room and now it says the key file is corrupted.

Edit: ... and now it's working. Is an internet connection required to run foundation 6? That's the only thing that had changed.

Xeoxi
02-12-2007, 01:47 AM
ok , so I re-did my network , then realize there was a work ticket to replace a bad NIC card........Guess what , chang your nick and the licence stops working , put the dead nic back in an whala, xsi fires off, hmmmmmm how do I transfer a 400mg of workfiles for render........... not happy ......... but hey thanks for the info on the network changes guys, def help find my issue :)

ub52
02-12-2007, 06:48 AM
This happens to me too, although not for the same reasons. I run XSI 6 on a laptop which has both a hard wired NIC and a wireless one. The new licensing scheme keys to the MAC address of your NIC and in my case it gets confused over which NIC to key to. I get the corrupted key file message almost every time I start my machine. What fixes it for me is running the License Manager, selecting Manage Key Database, and then Rename Key Database. Then click Install Keys and select the .key file that I save when I originally install my license. Then restart the server. After that XSI starts OK, and all is fine, that is until I have to shut the machine down. When I restart the next day or whenever, I have to go through the same steps again.

I've talked with tech support and they confirmed the issue and would only say a fix would be forthcomming but would not say how soon.

-ub52

MikeMD
02-12-2007, 07:00 AM
Is an internet connection required to run foundation 6

no, but you have to have a network NOT disabled ( I had mine disabled because that pc never connects to anything, once I enabled it, all was well )

JonasK
02-12-2007, 12:35 PM
I've also had tons of problems with this and lost several days of work in the middle of projects. I have stoped using xsi6 altogether, I can't risk loosing that much time in aproject again. Guess I'll have to wait for v6.5 cause v6 is just not up for it.
/Jonas

bmwolf
02-12-2007, 04:23 PM
If they offered a dongle for foundation, i'd be a very happy man. Would cure these problems, would it not?

WillBellJr
02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
All you have to do is search my name around here and you'll see the horrors I've had when I (finally) upgraded my FND to v6 ESS...

Things have sorta setteled down for me dealing with the dongle; it still does it's sh.. but I know how to fanaggle my system to get it to work again :shrug:

We're all here WAITING for the next v6 release to resolve the dongle and buttload of crashing issues.

Until then I still have v5.11 FND installed just in case...

-Will

colintheys
02-25-2007, 05:43 PM
If they offered a dongle for foundation, i'd be a very happy man. Would cure these problems, would it not?

Heh. Don't be so sure. While it might cure this particular problem, the dongle introduces a whole host of new problems. Back in version 3, the dongle cold crashed my laptop every time I resumed from standby or hibernate and I could not find a solution even with help from support. I ultimately decided the dongle was worth the hours I was investing to get it to work right, so I ran XSI cracked and kept the dongle on my keychain to prove I actually owned the software. lol. I didn't tell support that was how I solved the problem though, as I figured they probably wouldn't appreciate it! :twisted:

toonafish
02-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Heh. Don't be so sure. While it might cure this particular problem, the dongle introduces a whole host of new problems. Back in version 3, the dongle cold crashed my laptop every time I resumed from standby or hibernate and I could not find a solution even with help from support. I ultimately decided the dongle was worth the hours I was investing to get it to work right, so I ran XSI cracked and kept the dongle on my keychain to prove I actually owned the software. lol. I didn't tell support that was how I solved the problem though, as I figured they probably wouldn't appreciate it! :twisted:

lol, a wise decision.

WillBellJr
02-26-2007, 02:39 PM
The other day, I plugged in my dongle (I haven't used XSI for about a week or so) and the thing asked me if I wanted to update the internal clock or some such???

I'm like wtf?? Funny since I was reading my Pro .NET 2.0 Windows Forms and Custom Controls book at work last week and the chapter on user interfaces stated that users don't like complicated decisions with their interfaces; this was an exact situation where I didn't care about no clock on a DONGLE!

I had to read the dialog msg twice because (obviously) I didn't want to HOSE the dongle with a wrong decision...

Now I'll admit, I can't imagine ALL licensing scenarios that Softimage may be trying to cover but again I have to ask why does this dongle have to be so complicated??

Why can't Softimage use the Rainbow Duo dongles like Lightwave does? I've never had these problems with my LW dongle.

If it's a cost issue, I think by now all the frustration customers are having makes them well worth it if that's the case...

-Will

3dtutorial
02-26-2007, 04:58 PM
The other day, I plugged in my dongle (I haven't used XSI for about a week or so) and the thing asked me if I wanted to update the internal clock or some such???

I'm like wtf?? Funny since I was reading my Pro .NET 2.0 Windows Forms and Custom Controls book at work last week and the chapter on user interfaces stated that users don't like complicated decisions with their interfaces; this was an exact situation where I didn't care about no clock on a DONGLE!

I had to read the dialog msg twice because (obviously) I didn't want to HOSE the dongle with a wrong decision...

Now I'll admit, I can't imagine ALL licensing scenarios that Softimage may be trying to cover but again I have to ask why does this dongle have to be so complicated??

Why can't Softimage use the Rainbow Duo dongles like Lightwave does? I've never had these problems with my LW dongle.

If it's a cost issue, I think by now all the frustration customers are having makes them well worth it if that's the case...

-Will

It's not complicated.

Ok, allow me to explain....

Your dongle keeps track of certain things.... like the current time and the time that your software was last run, etc.

Now at first you might be thinking.... WTF does my software need to know or even care about such issues.... the reason is simple.

The license system is designed so that many different situations can be covered, among them is the concept of temporary licenses, etc.

Say that you were a contractor and Softimage had deciced to grant you a limited license, say one that would last for 30 days. Well, the software would need to know what the current time/date is, when the software was last launched etc.... so that it could determine how long the license was good for etc.

Ok.... now you get the idea... I will return back to your issue.

Since you hadn't run the software for sometime, the dongle had a time stored in it (the last time that it was launched) and it compared it with the current day. All of a sudden it notices a major difference, so it thinks wait a minute, is something wrong here? The software then needs some input from you. Assuming that the date and time that your system is set to is correct, all you need do is say -- yes, please adjust the time in my dongle and that's the end of the story. The reason it asked you for confirmation is because suppose someone had advanced the clock by a year or something, in this case if you had pressed OK, then you would have been in trouble because the time in the dongle would have been written to an incorrect value in the future. The big problem would then happen when you set you clock back to the correct time and date. The license manager would then think you are trying to pull a fast one, perhaps trying to defeat the system and your license would most likely be nuked.

So now you might be asking why would it nuke my license. Simple. Some bright sparks get the idea that if they got hold of an evaluation license that they could keep setting their clocks backward (or to the same day forever) in the hopes of getting hold of a free license. Well, the system is too smart to let that happen and will figure out that if people are turning clocks backward, etc that chances are something is wrong and the system will protect itself.

Anyway... these are some of the reasons why you see these kind of prompts. They are not supposed to freak you out.

Hope this helps explain a bit more about why this is happening -- it's not that big a deal.

bmwolf
02-26-2007, 05:22 PM
For what it's worth... when I was on the student version for a few years, i never had a problem when using the dongle. I switched back and forth from my laptop to desktop, reset the clock in the dongle occasionally when it asked, and switched to newly built computers a few times. I always had a working version of XSI whenever I needed it. Now that I truly depend on my software($), foundation seems really picky about how everything is set up and sometimes just won't work. Now, this could be a problem with my computer/network or just user error, but surprisingly I end up missing the dongle setup... something I didn't think I'd ever say.

Edit: Just remembered that the dongle did give me problems when going into standby/hibernate. Had to remove the dongle, put it back in, and restart the server every time. So that was definitely an annoyance that I don't miss.:sad:

WillBellJr
02-27-2007, 06:53 PM
It's not complicated.

(snip)

"The reason it asked you for confirmation is because suppose someone had advanced the clock by a year or something, in this case if you had pressed OK, then you would have been in trouble because the time in the dongle would have been written to an incorrect value in the future. The big problem would then happen when you set you clock back to the correct time and date. The license manager would then think you are trying to pull a fast one, perhaps trying to defeat the system and your license would most likely be nuked.

So now you might be asking why would it nuke my license. Simple. Some bright sparks get the idea that if they got hold of an evaluation license that they could keep setting their clocks backward (or to the same day forever) in the hopes of getting hold of a free license. Well, the system is too smart to let that happen and will figure out that if people are turning clocks backward, etc that chances are something is wrong and the system will protect itself.

Anyway... these are some of the reasons why you see these kind of prompts. They are not supposed to freak you out."

Hope this helps explain a bit more about why this is happening -- it's not that big a deal.

And hence WHY I say it's complicated.... Anytime the USER is presented with a question that could potentially render his >legitimate software unusable< is NOT a good look IMO... (And why I felt I needed to read that dialog twice even when not knowing all of what you just explained...)

I mean what happens if for some reason Windows shuts down with that dialog up - let pray the default isn't applied! Come back and there's your XSI - unusable until you're able to make phone/email contact with Softimage...
(Just the other day I was pizzed because I was performing a LONG, overnite network file copy to find out the stupid Windows update was set to auto download and install - come back the next morning - half my stuff wasn't copied due to windows shutting down just to install some silly security pack - needless to say all that's set to manual now...)

I've also heard that the goverment has made some kind of amendment to the Daylight Savings time stuff - I hope that's been debugged for the same reason; any kind of clock issues is just scary, dangerous stuff now. (I can't count the number of times I've accidently changed my clock due to dbl-clicking the clock to get to the calendar to look at some date in the future and pressing Ok instead of Cancel, changing the date/time...)

Granted, as a software engineer myself, I can certainly appreciate what you're attempting to do and I'm certainly not trying to say you should let your guard down (allowing all kinds of warez and peeps using it without having paid) but I've NEVER had to uh, think about using a dongled program... :sad: I would just plug in the dongle and go...

To me that seems pretty expensive to have a dongle support so many scenarios? Couldn't you give out a simpler dongle for permanent licensees hence Rainbow Duo, while providing these time-based dongles to leasees?

Again I can't help but feel this is where the paying customer gets hosed - paying this much for a software package that ultimately will stop working for you if you simply answer a dialog question incorrectly is just scary to me.

I've already been frustrated over not being able to use the package with cash out of pocket and dongle in hand. Thank goodness I'm just a hobbyist; being at a customer site doing work and having a dongle issue deep in a Saturday or Sunday evening with no foreseeable licensing support would be a horror (and potentially a job breaker...)

Again, I'm not rabble-rousing, I'm just discussing and looking for a better way since I've never experienced any of this with my other dongled software...

-Will

PS - That chapter on user interfaces in my book also mentioned studies on how people will press OK or the default REPEATEDLY several times even though it may take them right back to the same dialog or error message - lets just pray that default answer isn't going to HOSE my XSI package...

softdistortion
02-28-2007, 02:54 AM
Agreed about that stoopid prompt, I also had to read it a few times and still wasn't sure which option to choose cause they both sounded bad. At this point I've quit reinstalling the GD dongle driver to get it working again each time I have time to try to use XSI.
The XSI dongle setup just plain sucks. :banghead:

And if they want to give out time limited versions to some people, then give them the dongles and give the rest of us something less annoying. :hmm:

3dtutorial
02-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Well now you know what it means and how to deal with it. :-)

Like I said in my previous post, I do understand that "some" people find this very annoying and believe me, I do respect your view on this.

However...

I suggest you take up your complaints with Softimage directly as that is the only hope you have of getting any traction.

softdistortion
02-28-2007, 04:36 PM
LoL...yeah, don't get me wrong, the support I received was fast and friendly, but the help is limited to repeated instructions on how to reinstall drivers to get things working again.
... copy protection like that seems lame in this day and age..ranks up there with CDROM challenge and response imo.

WillBellJr
02-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Well now you know what it means and how to deal with it. :-)

Like I said in my previous post, I do understand that "some" people find this very annoying and believe me, I do respect your view on this.

However...

I suggest you take up your complaints with Softimage directly as that is the only hope you have of getting any traction.

Lol, yes Joe, hi, I didn't realize it was you ("3D Tutorial") until after I had posted - Initally I saw "Company Director" and thought perhaps you were from Softimage since they are around and have been very helpful here at times...

Obviously this is just a discussion as I already mentioned but it is quite obvious around here that these issues are annoying to a lot of us (paid up customers) - and only Softimage knows the other side as far as phone calls into support - I certainly don't believe the whole XSI community is here or even knows about CGTalk (it'd be nice though, but I doubt it... :D )

And I agree with above, both of the options on that dialog did seem equally BAD which prompted me to paraphrase that chapter in my .NET GUI programming book about presenting users with difficult choices (which they don't want to make! The part about what if Microwaves asked you to choose the tone of the beeps had me rolling!)

-Will

softdistortion
02-28-2007, 06:37 PM
I guess I should have also made it clear that the license server stops working and clicking either of the options doesn't fix that.

Here's a snippet from tech support>
"Do you turn your computer off? If the computer was turned off for awhile (or goes into hibernation), that could cause the dongle to have the wrong timestamp. But resetting the time should not cause problems (as long as the system time is correct)."

So as long as you never turn off or go to standby or hiberbnate mode, you "should" be ok.

The only solution that works in my case was/is to reinstall the dongle driver...even though Win manager shows it as functioning properly. :hmm:

I'm not super mad about the situation, it just seems a silly thing for software of XSI's calibre....I know I can be happy there's a solution that works at all. :)

MJV
03-16-2007, 12:18 AM
The license server will also fail for other reasons, such as if you have too many programs or windows open. You get a license error and by then the only way to fix it is to restart your computer. I find the protection scheme annoying enough to wish I could sell my Advance license altogether and be rid of it. It just isn't worth it to me anymore.

Sbowling
03-16-2007, 03:00 AM
The license server will also fail for other reasons, such as if you have too many programs or windows open. You get a license error and by then the only way to fix it is to restart your computer. I find the protection scheme annoying enough to wish I could sell my Advance license altogether and be rid of it. It just isn't worth it to me anymore.

I have never had anything close to what you describe and I tend to have tons of windows open while working. In fact, I've never really had any problems with the license manager on my computers.

MJV
03-16-2007, 03:10 AM
Glad for you. It happens to me often but never at a convenient time. Judging from all the threads about the license server I guess there are many people not as lucky as you. In any case I simply hope that SI will make a serious puplic effort to address the issue or allow me to sell the software, because regardless of what others experience, I can only go on what I experience and I've had enough of it.

NRG-Alpha
03-16-2007, 04:04 AM
Wow. I find these findings pretty disturbing. I for one cannot complain, as even though I use alot of open windows at times, and I definately let my computer go into hybrination/sleep mode quite often, my dongle has never given me any problems whatsoever. I think the system asked me to confirm the date situation once (when I moved and had my computer obviously disconnected for over a week). But I confirmed that date, and all was good.

There must be more at play here as far as hardware configurations than meets the eye. As some people have mentioned (with regards to foundation issues), NIC cards is an example as such.

I'm not sure if Softimage has a detailed trouble shooting secion on their site that documents many of the potential problems with licenses and server setups, as I haven't checked (never needed to, as XSI 5.1 runs rock solid for me, and all of this on Win 2000 no less!). In either case, hopefully,those of you who have problems can get your issues resolved through Softimage themselves.

But all in all, the dongle was never an issue for me personally (knock on wood).

-NRG

NRG-Alpha
03-16-2007, 04:10 AM
Wow. I find these findings pretty disturbing. I for one cannot complain, as even though I use alot of open windows at times, and I definately let my computer go into hybrination/sleep mode quite often, my dongle has never given me any problems whatsoever. I think the system asked me to confirm the date situation once (when I moved and had my computer obviously disconnected for over a week). But I confirmed that date, and all was good.

There must be more at play here as far as hardware configurations than meets the eye. As some people have mentioned (with regards to foundation issues), NIC cards is an example as such.

I'm not sure if Softimage has a detailed trouble shooting secion on their site that documents many of the potential problems with licenses and server setups, as I haven't checked (never needed to, as XSI 5.1 runs rock solid for me, and all of this on Win 2000 no less!). In either case, hopefully,those of you who have problems can get your issues resolved through Softimage themselves.

But all in all, the dongle was never an issue for me personally (knock on wood).

-NRG

softdistortion
03-16-2007, 04:33 AM
Wow. I find these findings pretty disturbing. I for one cannot complain, as even though I use alot of open windows at times, and I definately let my computer go into hybrination/sleep mode quite often, my dongle has never given me any problems whatsoever.

it's a known issue listed in the WIKI. If you haven't had a problem going to hibernation, then somehow your USB is staying awake. Possibly Win2000 diferences?

I'm on XP and just had the warning come up again and snapped a shot of it this time ...will try to post, cause it really is a thought provoking warning...especially if it ws to come up say during the daylight savings time switch. :)

ThE_JacO
03-16-2007, 06:03 AM
In any case I simply hope that SI will make a serious puplic effort to address the issue or allow me to sell the software

Soft, unlike most other companies, will allow license transfers for any of their products but foundation; it's relatively painless too.
Re: addressing the issues with spm, Soft can only do that much, the actual licensing system is actually Mental Images', and not written or maintained by Softimage.

MJV
03-16-2007, 06:35 AM
Soft, unlike most other companies, will allow license transfers for any of their products but foundation; it's relatively painless too.

Hmm. I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing that for a fact. It contradicts what I was told by a tech support person the last time I called about the license issue. He said that SI does not normally allow for sale and license transfers except in an exceptional and occasional case by case basis. Perhaps he was misinformed.

Re: addressing the issues with spm, Soft can only do that much, the actual licensing system is actually Mental Images', and not written or maintained by Softimage.

Really? That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

ThE_JacO
03-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Hmm. I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing that for a fact. It contradicts what I was told by a tech support person the last time I called about the license issue. He said that SI does not normally allow for sale and license transfers except in an exceptional and occasional case by case basis. Perhaps he was misinformed.

He was.
Unless things changed in the last 3months, I've seen licenses moving back and forth all the time with little or no fuss about it. On this forum itself people have succesfully traded licenses.
Ask Sales, tech support is often uninvolved in these regards and they might tend to play safe.

Sbowling
03-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Glad for you. It happens to me often but never at a convenient time. Judging from all the threads about the license server I guess there are many people not as lucky as you.

My guess would be that it has a lot more to do with what other programs you have open than how many programs you have open. You might want to make note of what programs you have open when this happens and see if you can narrow it down to a specific program causing the problem. Considering you are the only person I've seen on the message boards that has this specific problem, it's most likely something specific to your system.

MJV
03-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Well if we're guessing then I might guess that it is this: WinXP won't open another window after a certain number of windows are open. I've never tested the exact number it seems to be about thirty or so. One of the communication applications I regularly use opens lots of windows. It seems that if in this state, when XSI tries to open it discovers it can't, and instead of simply not opening it returns a license error. I haven't troubleshooted this to learn for sure if that's what's going on. Maybe it was the hibernation error. In any case any license error at all is intolerable. I'm tolerant enough of bugs that can't be avoided, but a license bug is something imposed upon me not to protect or serve me, but to protect and serve the licenser, at my expense, and that is unacceptable.

yourteenidol
03-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Windows wasn't designed to have 30 windows open at a time and if you are attempting such folly expect problems.

I has nothing to do with the SPM server.

NRG-Alpha
03-17-2007, 04:15 AM
He was.
Unless things changed in the last 3months, I've seen licenses moving back and forth all the time with little or no fuss about it. On this forum itself people have succesfully traded licenses.
Ask Sales, tech support is often uninvolved in these regards and they might tend to play safe.

Raff, I might be sorely mistaken here, but I am under the impression that when someone wants to transfer a license to someone else, he or she had to get (read, perhaps download / print) some form of license transference form from Softimage to make the transfer complete.

Either that or I am confusing the term 'transfer' with what you have used; 'traded'?... Afterall, isn't the legal registered user's info bound to the SID in question? Wouldn't Softimage or Avid need to be notified to some extent when a license changes hands?

Cheers,
-NRG

MJV
03-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Windows wasn't designed to have 30 windows open at a time and if you are attempting such folly expect problems.

I has nothing to do with the SPM server.

Yes it's always the users fault. Thirty windows is utter absurdity, and 64k ought to be enough for anyone.

yourteenidol
03-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Yes it's always the users fault. Thirty windows is utter absurdity, and 64k ought to be enough for anyone.

That's right - keep it up, your learning!

This is like the guy who buys a car and notices that the tachometer red lines at 8K, so he figures great, I can wind out the motor in 1st gear to 8K, no problems there. Shortly after when the engine explodes, he then becomes upset and goes around moaning about how poorly his car was built.

So yeah, 9 times out of 10 it is the end users fault.

MJV
03-17-2007, 09:08 PM
That's right - keep it up, your learning!

This is like the guy who buys a car and notices that the tachometer red lines at 8K, so he figures great, I can wind out the motor in 1st gear to 8K, no problems there. Shortly after when the engine explodes, he then becomes upset and goes around moaning about how poorly his car was built.

So yeah, 9 times out of 10 it is the end users fault.

It's more as if turning the radio up to ten caused the wheels feel off. A windows error should for no reason force a license error and reboot.

WillBellJr
03-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Actually from my experience it's only IExplorer that has problems opening up a lot of windows - in particular if you're right-clicking images from a gallery somewhere.

It got "better" in WinXP after all the service packs but I'm sorry to say in Vista now the problem is worse.

Apparently IE is leaking memory somewhere - if you open too many windows, you can't right click the images (the shortcut menu won't display) and if you look, the main menu is missing also. It's only when you kill other windows do the resources become available again - totally annoying considering my vista laptop has 2Gigs ram and 512megs Video! Looking at the memory shows the IE process is only using ~50megs - pitiful!

Firefox doing the same thing doesn't have those problems...

I hope SI gets XSI working on Vista soon - I haven't used it too much since I got my new Vista laptop (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220124) and have been reloading what little software of mines works on it...

Silo2 Beta is finally working on Vista, haven't tried my Lightwave 9 or ZBrush2 yet...

-Will

colintheys
03-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi Will,

Actually, XSI does work in Vista. I haven't used it extensively, so there might be some quirks, but my video ram died a few weeks ago on my workstation and while I was waiting for my new part to arrive overnight, I had to work in Vista. I was a beta tester and never bothered to uninstall RC2, but since Vista aero uses a different gui, my card still worked in Vista! If you disable UAC, you can install and use the license manager, which is the only part of XSI that doesn't work right in Vista. Or if you're using a remote license manager, you should have no trouble at all (haven't actually tested that myself tho.) I worked for about 24 hours in XSI 6 under Vista and had only a few odd quirks, however I dont' know if those were due to the OS or (more likely) to my corrupt video ram and beta nvidia drivers from novmber)

-Colin

ThE_JacO
03-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Raff, I might be sorely mistaken here, but I am under the impression that when someone wants to transfer a license to someone else, he or she had to get (read, perhaps download / print) some form of license transference form from Softimage to make the transfer complete.
Correct

Either that or I am confusing the term 'transfer' with what you have used; 'traded'?... Afterall, isn't the legal registered user's info bound to the SID in question? Wouldn't Softimage or Avid need to be notified to some extent when a license changes hands?
"Traded" is just a fairly versatile english word that fit the context. Softimage does call them "License Transfers"

As for the recent turn the thread took, while I can't fathom how in hell MJV is getting these issues (never seen or heard of them), it doesn't seem to me that his requests are absurd in content or form, so I'd welcome a lil bit less patronizing toward him, and I'm sure he'd do himself.

P.S.
WTF do you keep 30 windows open for though beats me.
all you need is one shell ;)

Sbowling
03-22-2007, 03:04 AM
It's more as if turning the radio up to ten caused the wheels feel off. A windows error should for no reason force a license error and reboot.

A better comparison would be that you radio stops working every time your battery dies. Basically, if your communication program is hogging all the resources that the SPM server needs to start up XSI it can cause it to crash, just like if you need 4 gigs to render something, but only have 2 gigs, it can cause a crash.

I would be wary of any program that requires 30 widows to be opened to do it's job. It just doesn't sound like the programmer knew what he was doing and is wasting system resources. I would be interested in knowing the name of this program.

ThE_JacO
03-22-2007, 04:39 AM
Using a socketed internal channel to handle a license is such a low requirements thing that it shouldn't get hampered by anything.

The problem is twofold really, one is that spm appears to be oversensitive in terms of lag and dignal monitoring, up to the point where it will sooner shut itself down then just suspending your licensing until further interrogation (which is what it should do after a congestion), this isn't a bug in itself, but the system is very likely to be overzealous. The other side of it is that windows networking in all its forms, including the part supporting internal services, is so freaken weak and stupid, that OTHER badly written programs can easily compromise their neighborhood, and tracking these issues is even more of a nightmare.

Before going for the extreme solution of dropping a software (solely) because of its licensing though, assuming that's the case here, I'd suggest trying to monitor and tweak the state of things more, the problem might very well be solvable.

Firewalls and antivirus applications, especially shoddy ones, can often compromise the functionalities of other applications in such a sneaky and non-obvious ways that you wouldn't believe it. Listing all applications of that kind you run, and their setup, might help getting useful advice.

It's also worth checking your services file and make sure you don't have ports clashing. It's very possible that a service that only runs occasionally, or situationally, is overriding and screwing up port dialogues for spm and/or MRay.

There are several tools, many free ones too, to monitor and tweak these things in any OS, but some might require more IT literacy then most people can be arsed with.

The point in case, to be really validated, would have to be run on a clean OS install with just XSI on it, chances are you'd never see issues happening in that situation, or if you did you'd know you might have underlying problems that are related to factors other then SPM or your software setups.

colintheys
03-22-2007, 05:33 AM
The whole spm/dongle thing really seems like a relatively useless annoyance to me. I assume the intent is to a) make the software more difficult to pirate and b) enable use of licenses across a network on different machines.

Well, frankly, it utterly fails at a. At school, I knew a kid who had xsi 6 pirated and running before the copy I paid for arrived. :rolleyes: And he didn't even have to figure out to new license manager.

As for b, it works very well (when it works) at this. However, there must be a way to do it without the hassle.

Don't get me wrong, the system works very well when it works, but sometimes it just seems like it needlessly annoys the people who run legit licenses. Plus, carrying around a dongle with a laptop can be a pain. Seeing how it doesn't really seem to be effective at stopping people from cracking it, can't there be an easier way? I love XSI, but its licensing just seems a bit outdated.

-Colin

Sbowling
03-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Seeing how it doesn't really seem to be effective at stopping people from cracking it, can't there be an easier way? I love XSI, but its licensing just seems a bit outdated.

-Colin

I think this is aimed more at the "casual pirate". There are many people who would buy a copy of the software and then install it and run it on all of their machines, even though it's only licensed for a single machine or user. Most of these people don't think they are doing anything wrong by doing this, but they are still taking money away from the software manufacturer. This is the same reason Microsoft uses their licensing scheme. Back in windows 2000 and earlier, I used to install the same copy of windows on multiple machines and never thought I was doing anything wrong. Now, it would be extremely obvious that I was doing something wrong, because I would have to go out and find a cracked version of XP to install.

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2007, 06:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.