PDA

View Full Version : Fingers Movement

HJ-panorama
02-11-2007, 08:34 AM
hello

I am not really sure about the ability of MB to generate realastic finger movement without need for motion capture data....

if Im wrong please correct it, for example, there is no palm setting organized for grabing something or any movement like that, i have to move every single finger seprately so it gets to be very tedious .....

is there such a thing like of that in maya's FBIK to move all fingers all once??

thank you in advance

colkai
02-11-2007, 10:34 AM
You can multi-select the fingers and control them that way, or are you looking for an automation tool that will flex/rotate fingers based on some form of goal/controller?

Anssi
02-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi,
you can also save hand poses via pose control. You can crete a bank of different hand poses and key them as a basis for you animation. Use Body parts keying mode that way you don't have to change the overall pose of the character.
Anssi

LoneCanuck
02-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah, yeah, what that Anssi kid said! ;)

I use hand poses all the time and I find it's the quickest way to blocking out finger motion. If you need to go in and "enhance" or "offset" what's there, MB allows you the flexibility, through the Character tool, to select individual fingers.

Personally, I work on the yellow FK nodes instead. More predicable. However, there are times when the IK nodes at the ends of fingers work nicely, like running your fingers along someone's face or other complex surface.

HJ-panorama
02-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Thank you all guys :)

Anssi , your right.
I think that way is pretty close to what needs to be done in MB for acceptable finger movements ,

thank you again.

sdyer23
03-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey guys,

Speaking of finger movements. I'm actually using Motion capture Gloves to get some pretty accurate movements for the fingers on a character. I am using the Immersion Cyber Gloves to capture my models hands.

After catpuring is there a way to go into the fingers themselves and modifiy their curves and positions much like selecting the optical nodes on a suit and modifying them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tux

Anssi
03-06-2007, 05:31 AM
Hi,
you can plot the captured data into skeleton and save them as clips you can use in the story as Override track. Have the body movement an the first main track and the glove movement on the Override subtrack. Just make sure that the only the hand rig is selected when you add corrective layers/tracks to fix the animations. See the attached image.
Anssi

sdyer23
03-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Anssi,

By "plotting Captured data into a skeleton" Do you mean mapping the data to an actor, or mapping the data to a character?If you mean a generic skeleton, is there a way to generate one in MB? a More detailed explanation of these steps would be most helpful. Thanks again.

-Tux

Anssi
03-07-2007, 05:24 AM
Hi,
By plotting Captured data into a skeleton I mean the process which goes something like:
1) Capture glove data into model created by Glove device
2) Create actor and drag the reference node of the glove into actors hand (slot for glove ref)
3) Merge any characterized skeleton with fingers in the scene, assingn Actor input and plot it to the skeleton (MB ships with generic skeleton and punch of characters with fingers)
4) Save it as a clip to use in the Story as Override track for only finger movement as explained in previous post
5) Optionally plot it back to Ctrl Rig for further tweaking, plot to skeleton and throw it back to your favourite 3d program

Anssi

mkapfhammer
03-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Hi,
you can plot the captured data into skeleton and save them as clips you can use in the story as Override track. Have the body movement an the first main track and the glove movement on the Override subtrack. Just make sure that the only the hand rig is selected when you add corrective layers/tracks to fix the animations. See the attached image.
Anssi

would anyone have a use for a library of hand clips to use like this? i was thinking about putting a small one together (maybe like 10 or so) to release for free. Let me know what motions you'd use most.

mkapfhammer
03-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Personally, I work on the yellow FK nodes instead. More predicable. However, there are times when the IK nodes at the ends of fingers work nicely, like running your fingers along someone's face or other complex surface.

definately. i select all three fk joints and rotate them at the same time to get an even finger curl quickly. it's just... swell.

sdyer23
03-07-2007, 02:17 PM
mkapfhammer,

About your library -- I wouldn't mind seeing something like available. Unfortunately though the hand gestures I would be using would be Sign Language hand signs so they aren't all that common. I would be interested in seeing something like this to play with in my own stuff though. Hope the demand is high enough. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2007, 02:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.