PDA

View Full Version : blending brush question

gabeg
02-11-2007, 02:05 AM
I am aware of having to use pick underlying color if you want to paint on a layer above with brushes using blending, otherwise you get the white halo effect. I would like a way to not have to paint on a layer and have it blend with the colors underneath. the effect I'm after is simple in traditional painting which is painting overtop dry paint (no blending with the layers underneath) but, still be able to blend the paint that you are applying (wet paint) into transparency. I've read a semi work around w/o using pick underlying color. The downfall is that the paint applied does not blend with itself or into a transparent(basically blending brushes are opaque only). I think it was painter 6 that someone wrote a script that would allow you to blend paint on a layer w/o clicking pick underlying color, but unfortunatly I cant find that script to show anyone. If anyone has any ideas on how to solve this problem I would love to hear them. This simple function would bring painter even closer to how real paint works. My guess is that when blending, the alphas have no idea how to handle transparency. Its almost like there need to be an add water or add transparent paint to the paint layed down.

Jinbrown
02-11-2007, 02:24 AM
Hi,

I've been using Painter daily for 12 years and reading Painter forums, newsgroups, and e-mail lists for most of those years, just about every day of the week.

Painter users have been wanting to do this forever and I've never yet heard of a way to paint on transparent areas of a Layer with a brush variant that has blending and smearing characteristics without having white in the brush strokes, unless:

The Layer is set to Composite Method Gel, or
The Pick Up Underlying Colors box is checked

If you remember who wrote the script, please tell us. I'd like to know how it was done.

gabeg
02-11-2007, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could remember who created this script or where I got it, but its been years. If I run into it again i'll be sure to let ya know.

Thanks,
Gabe

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2007, 02:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.