PDA

View Full Version : Painter is pixelating blended dark colors

planetaaron
02-11-2007, 01:04 AM
I am having a problem with Painter IX where it is doing the following to my images:

http://www.thesadmachines.com/vp3.jpg

Notice how it's all pixelated and looks terrible where the black and gray meet? It doesn't start out this way, but it seems to get worse over time, and I don't understand why it's happening. Skin tones and lighter colors are unaffected (as you can see), but blacks and dark grays end up like this.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug? A feature I don't know about? It seems to happen regardless of whether I am saving as a RIFF or PSD.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mu
02-11-2007, 01:47 PM
today must be strange-post-day...:scream:

I say so, because I can't see the effect you are describing.

maybe a monitor calibration thingy?

If anyone else sees it (whereas I don't) could you please post a screenshot so I know what we're talkin about?

Hope you find someone who sees it
:)

Vince58
02-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I am having a problem with Painter IX where it is doing the following to my images:

http://www.thesadmachines.com/vp3.jpg

Notice how it's all pixelated and looks terrible where the black and gray meet? It doesn't start out this way, but it seems to get worse over time, and I don't understand why it's happening. Skin tones and lighter colors are unaffected (as you can see), but blacks and dark grays end up like this.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug? A feature I don't know about? It seems to happen regardless of whether I am saving as a RIFF or PSD.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Did you save your work as riff format or psd format. And as you mentioned it get worse over time, do you mean you saved the file as psd and worked on it with several sessions ( quitting the program and reopened the file again ) ?

planetaaron
02-11-2007, 06:41 PM

If anyone else sees it (whereas I don't) could you please post a screenshot so I know what we're talkin about?

Hmm, that is odd. What makes me think it isn't a monitor calibration thing is that when I first paint it, it looks fine. It is only after time passes/several interative saves later that it starts looking bad. I've circled some of the affected area here:

http://www.thesadmachines.com/vp4.jpg

It's much more apparent on the higher res version, but there was never any purple in the painting that I put down, just black & gray.

Hopefully, you can see it now. If not, thanks anyway. :)

planetaaron
02-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Did you save your work as riff format or psd format. And as you mentioned it get worse over time, do you mean you saved the file as psd and worked on it with several sessions ( quitting the program and reopened the file again ) ?

Going back and looking at all my previous
work that has this issue, it looks like they are all files that were saved as PSDs (I switched to using them instead of RIFFs after 6 hours went down the drain with a 'bad RIFF data ' episode). Could that be the problem?

And yes, I'm using the iterative save feature like mad, over the course of several sessions of closing and reopening both the image, and the entire program.

One more bit of info is that I am coloring on a layer and not on the canvas. Thanks again for your help on this.

Vince58
02-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Going back and looking at all my previous
work that has this issue, it looks like they are all files that were saved as PSDs (I switched to using them instead of RIFFs after 6 hours went down the drain with a 'bad RIFF data ' episode). Could that be the problem?

And yes, I'm using the iterative save feature like mad, over the course of several sessions of closing and reopening both the image, and the entire program.

One more bit of info is that I am coloring on a layer and not on the canvas. Thanks again for your help on this.

Hi,

I also had this problem before when using Painter 9 and saving them continuously as psd. file ( I mean save as psd and quit, reopen it and work on it again ) I discover by doing so will create undesire ugly color spots of dull red or greenish color in the dark color areas. This will be very obvious when you do this for 12 to 15 times ( save as psd, quit and reopen that file and then save....quit.....). By the way, this problem will shows up both in layers and canvas.

What I'd done to work round the problem is to save the file as Riff ( in Painter 9) and if I really want to open it as psd ( say, in Photoshop ), I open the RIFF file with Painter 8 and save as psd instead ( which I had no problem so far ). Anfd if I want to open a psd file, I will open the psd with Painter 8 and save as Riff before using Painter 9. Sounds silly but I prefer the Painter 9's tiny triangular pointer to work with:-) I haven't download Painter 9.5 as I really had no time to try out if this problem has been addressed or not ( or other problems will pops up ), may be other guys using Painter 9.5 can tell you about it.

Hope this will help.

vince

brenly
02-12-2007, 12:05 AM

I hope your not a beta tester ... That would really make me cry!

planetaaron ... what brush are you using?? Water colors?? If so Ive had similar problems to what you are getting with water colors in the past. So much so that I no longer use them, especially for accurate renders.

planetaaron
02-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Hi,

I also had this problem before when using Painter 9 and saving them continuously as psd. file ( I mean save as psd and quit, reopen it and work on it again ) I discover by doing so will create undesire ugly color spots of dull red or greenish color in the dark color areas. This will be very obvious when you do this for 12 to 15 times ( save as psd, quit and reopen that file and then save....quit.....). By the way, this problem will shows up both in layers and canvas.

What I'd done to work round the problem is to save the file as Riff ( in Painter 9) and if I really want to open it as psd ( say, in Photoshop ), I open the RIFF file with Painter 8 and save as psd instead ( which I had no problem so far ). Anfd if I want to open a psd file, I will open the psd with Painter 8 and save as Riff before using Painter 9. Sounds silly but I prefer the Painter 9's tiny triangular pointer to work with:-) I haven't download Painter 9.5 as I really had no time to try out if this problem has been addressed or not ( or other problems will pops up ), may be other guys using Painter 9.5 can tell you about it.

Hope this will help.

vince

Well, that's disappointing, but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that's seen this, thanks! ;)

It's a bit disappointing that painter has so many issues with saving files. I mean, either you deal with this with PSDs, or risk losing everything with a RIFF. Hopefully they've improved this with X? Thanks again...

planetaaron
02-12-2007, 12:42 AM

planetaaron ... what brush are you using?? Water colors?? If so Ive had similar problems to what you are getting with water colors in the past. So much so that I no longer use them, especially for accurate renders.

No not waterecolor, it's a variant on the Acrylic Opaque Brush. Have you
found a particualr brush type that is reliable (meaning doesn't have this problem)? It might be worth me seeing if I can do what I want to do with another kind of brush. Thanks for the input!

brenly
02-12-2007, 03:31 AM
It's a bit disappointing that painter has so many issues with saving files. I mean, either you deal with this with PSDs, or risk losing everything with a RIFF. Hopefully they've improved this with X? Thanks again...

I doubt it very much!

Ive noticed Painter isnt spot on accurate with colors especially down at the lower end of the spectrum and value range.
Pull out the just add water blender brush at about 40% opacity and blend out the banding .. and pray that it doesnt come back ..

Per-Anders
02-12-2007, 04:17 AM
The various pastels seem to be particularly inaccurate color wise I've found, very often you'll pick one color and they'll basically default to something like an 8 or 16bit version of that color, especially unfortunately throughout the skin tones, the oil pastels really have problems with actually using the color picked and not something nearby but not quite.

Mu
02-12-2007, 08:31 AM

save your tears for a rainy day, honey...:scream:

I am not...:D

Jinbrown
02-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi,

I can't see the pixelation either, but unless I'm mistaken, the problem of color shifting when saving to PSD, closing the file, then reopening the file was solved with the Painter IX.5 Update.

Hope so.

Good luck!

planetaaron
02-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate your help. I guess it's time to upgrade. ;)

brenly
02-13-2007, 12:29 AM
altho dont expect a huge change from IX to X .. test the trial first before laying out the dollars.

Jinbrown
02-13-2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate your help. I guess it's time to upgrade. ;)

The Painter IX 9.1 and Painter IX.5 Updates are free downloads.

If you're using Painter IX, try installing them to see if that fixes the problem you posted about in this thread.

You'll need to install both Updates, Painter IX 9.1, then Painter IX.5. Read the instructions carefully and follow them carefully.

Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2007, 12:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.