PDA

View Full Version : Modifying the Z Buffer image. Possible?

dustin1138
02-26-2003, 03:48 AM
What I'm after is a customizable "depth of field" type feature that generates a custom Z buffer image. I know that a generated Z buffer image works by coloring the closest points black and the furthest points white. But is there any way to generate a custom Z buffer image, selecting what is painted black and white. Example: Picture a rendered football field. The near goal would be black, the far goal white. But what if I wanted the "focal point" to be the 50 yard line. The Near and far goals would be white (distant) and the 50 yard line would be black. How could you customize the output; aside from duplicating all the objects and texturing them with "distance from null" which is parented to the camera?

Thanks,
Dustin

policarpo
02-26-2003, 03:52 AM
i think you would be able to do this with the old time classic hack of using volumetric FOG and defining the regions you need to be WHITE and BLACK in your Football scene example.

:beer:

dustin1138
02-26-2003, 03:58 AM
Thanks policarpo. I was afraid that "fogging" might be the only choice. I was trying to avoid the multiple rendering passes. But I might not have much of a choice.

Thanks again.
Dustin

policarpo
02-26-2003, 04:28 AM
yeah..it's the only way i know of doing it...in passes that is.

it would be a nifty plugin though...defining the regions for your ZMap and having it render as one of the Buffers at the time of F9 and F10.

:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.