PDA

View Full Version : Post here if you think the color triangle is to small to use....

rattsang
02-10-2007, 08:05 PM
i really am sick of the tiny Saturation/Value Triangle in painter, why can't it be bigger- even as big as the one in sketch book would do, but at the moment its to bloody fiddely ( i have a 19"tft at 1024 x 1280)

and in all fairness how hard could it be for corel to fix it?

perhaps our wishlist outlined the bugs in painter but it didn't outline how many ppl where unhappy about them....... this is probabaly what corel is more concerned about.

thats why you should only post here if you agree, this is not a disscussion thread
so it's important if you do agree to post, even if you just say i agree.....

Thank you

Philippec
02-10-2007, 11:28 PM
i really am sick of the tiny color triangle in painter, why can't it be bigger?

The color triangle (and associated icons, like the cross, the paintbrush, etc...) are 16x16 cursor icons. As is, they can't get bigger than that. That's why there is the new Enhanced Brush Ghost.

rattsang
02-10-2007, 11:38 PM
The color triangle (and associated icons, like the cross, the paintbrush, etc...) are 16x16 cursor icons. As is, they can't get bigger than that. That's why there is the new Enhanced Brush Ghost.

sry i should have been more clear i mean the painter color picker -the rbg triangle

Jinbrown
02-11-2007, 01:07 AM
To be clear:

The Colors palette and its Saturation/Value Triangle.

(Unless I'm still unclear about what you mean.)

;)

Datameister
02-11-2007, 06:05 AM
I am hereby posting here because I do think that triangle is WAY too frickin' small. Now, I'm normally a proponent of the whole "size doesn't matter" concept, but it does not apply to Painter. I know I'm in the minority in this forum, but I much prefer Photoshop's color picker. So much larger...so much easier to pick colors accurately. I know I can use the HSV or RGB sliders to tweak the colors, but that's a little less intuitive, a lot less fun, and it means lugging my stylus to a whole 'nother area of the tablet surface. ;) Bottom line, I'd rather be able to accurately pick the colors in one place.

Of course, I love the fact that the picker stays open all the time. Adobe could learn from that.

brenly
02-11-2007, 06:49 AM
was crystal clear to me ... and I agree.

sorry but no use voicing complaints here, noone seems to be listening from Corel ..

Mu
02-11-2007, 09:21 AM
there should be hsv sliders

...locate the HSV sliders in the color info palette after setting it to displaying HSV instead of RGB in the color info palette's menu (lil triangle...)

:shrug:

rattsang
02-11-2007, 11:35 AM
...locate the HSV sliders in the color info palette after setting it to displaying HSV instead of RGB in the color info palette's menu (lil triangle...)

:shrug:

thanks mu but this i already know.... i'm not looking for the info but rather the ability to change the values in the same way you currently change the controls inthe brush creator (without having to use both the small color triangle and the large on that comes out of the 'main colour' swatch.

i have been using painter for years and have read the whole manual many times what im looking for is not currently available.

Mu
02-11-2007, 12:39 PM
i'm not looking for the info but rather the ability to change the values

i am not sure we're talkin about the same palette.

:D

What else can you do with the HSV sliders than change hue, saturation and value of any colour on the fly just by ...erm... well... using the sliders...?

:curious:

Mu
02-11-2007, 12:56 PM
i'm not looking for the info but rather the ability to change the values in the same way you currently change the controls inthe brush creator (without having to use both the small color triangle and the large on that comes out of the 'main colour' swatch.

there should be hsv sliders or a number input option

- don't have to use it with the color triangle
- can be floated and docked freely
- any combination of hue, saturation, value...:D
- both sliders and numerical input option

check it out! Farbinfo = color info

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9638/screenietm0.jpg

rattsang
02-11-2007, 12:59 PM
ahh ok mu sry my mistake

jimmy-paillet
02-11-2007, 01:41 PM
thanks mu but this i already know.... i'm not looking for the info but rather the ability to change the values in the same way you currently change the controls inthe brush creator (without having to use both the small color triangle and the large on that comes out of the 'main colour' swatch.

i have been using painter for years and have read the whole manual many times what im looking for is not currently available.

forgive me i did not understand you, but there's 2 color info thingie...
the small box near the triangle you're talking about...where you cannot change value
and the actual color info palette where you can actually change H,S,V with sliders
without having to click on the swatch...
see the fig...

i even have written scripts to change H S V with the keyboards by pressing some keys...
so dont even have to quit the painting area...for big changes, i use the triangle.

but i agree the triangle would be nicer if it was a little bigger (or at least resizeable)...

edit: oops mu has been faster :D

Philippec
02-11-2007, 01:56 PM
sry i should have been more clear i mean the painter color picker -the rbg triangle

Ah, I see. Sorry!

As for making this palette resizable, I actually don't know why it isn't resizable. That certainly would help a lot of users. The default size could still be what it is now (Painter has to be able to launch on a 1024x768 screen), but in the age of multi-monitors, I can certainly see people putting their "big color triangle" on a second screen or something. Sliders are nice for precise HSV input, but sometimes you just want to adjust a tiny bit in the triangle...

I don't disagree that it's an overdue "feature" or "bug fix", but the best way to voice your concern is to email Steven.Szoczei@corel.com.

sand dragon
02-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Ah, I see. Sorry!

As for making this palette resizable, I actually don't know why it isn't resizable. That certainly would help a lot of users. The default size could still be what it is now (Painter has to be able to launch on a 1024x768 screen), but in the age of multi-monitors, I can certainly see people putting their "big color triangle" on a second screen or something. Sliders are nice for precise HSV input, but sometimes you just want to adjust a tiny bit in the triangle...

I don't disagree that it's an overdue "feature" or "bug fix", but the best way to voice your concern is to email Steven.Szoczei@corel.com.

Philippe,

Is there any way to use the System Color Picker in Mac OSX (double click on either the main color or additional color preview in the colors palette), so that this can be used in place of Painter's Colors palette in a live editing mode without having to click OK in the system colors dialogue each time?

i.e I want the system colors dialogue to stay open, with the selected color in the bar at the top of this dialogue to automatically over-ride the respective color selected in Painter's Color palette and update in real time as further color adjustments are made. Is there a temp file which holds the selected system color info. prior to clicking OK in that dialogue (which closes this dialogue and updates Painter with the new color)?. I need Painter to update with the selected color without clicking that OK button; other than for the purpose of closing the System Colors dialogue).

David

brenly
02-11-2007, 10:56 PM
that color info annoys me for 2 reasons!
1 ... it defaults to RGB
2 ... why cant Corel make it so we can type in HSV values in the color palette instead of forcing us to waste valuable real estate!

Philippec
02-12-2007, 02:51 AM
Is there any way to use the System Color Picker in Mac OSX (double click on either the main color or additional color preview in the colors palette), so that this can be used in place of Painter's Colors palette in a live editing mode without having to click OK in the system colors dialogue each time?

Some Mac applications do this, but not Painter.

Mu
02-12-2007, 07:34 AM
1 ... it defaults to RGB

Indeed. I was wondering all the time if there are people out there who actually use that thing with RGB turned on? It seems so abstract to me to be choosing colours with RGB sliders...:argh:

anyway, it's just one of those things I let a silent sigh out about when I am trying to enjoy what I am doing...

jimmy-paillet
02-12-2007, 09:20 AM
the fact is RGB by default is maybe because it feels more natural to "real media" painter...
you know you're like..."let's add some red to my color"

anyway, there is a shortcut for this...
so when you open painter you press it, and boum you're hsv...no big deal

brenly
02-12-2007, 10:03 AM
the fact is RGB by default is maybe because it feels more natural to "real media" painter...

sorry I dont buy that .. its simply Corel over seeing the details. Also the way RGB works on a computer isnt the same way it works in real life. CYMK would be closer to what a "real media" artist would use.

jimmy-paillet
02-12-2007, 10:35 AM
sorry I dont buy that .. its simply Corel over seeing the details. Also the way RGB works on a computer isnt the same way it works in real life. CYMK would be closer to what a "real media" artist would use.

i was not prentending to explain Corel's position on that, but just give a reason....
and i will not defend Corel because i think you're close to the truth (like for shortcuts for the brush toolbar...would be damn useful, probably very easy to implement...still not here...had to write 3party scripts to do this)

but sometimes i surprise myself going back to rgb because i find it easier to modifiy an existant hue in certain cases...as i said, there's a shortcut for this..so it's just about pressing one key to change the color system you want to use....

Mu
02-12-2007, 12:58 PM

aaah! Please do tell...

*takes out mental notebook and pen*

:deal:

jimmy-paillet
02-12-2007, 01:08 PM
aaah! Please do tell...

*takes out mental notebook and pen*

:deal:

Customize Keys - sub menu: palette menu...choose Color info
here you find: Display as RGB...assign some key to this (for me it's $)...

this key will now switch RGB/HSV....

Jinbrown
02-12-2007, 01:17 PM

so when you open painter you press it, and boum you're hsv...no big deal

In Windows Painter X, I can't find a default keyboard shortcut to switch the Color Ino palette display to HSV.

However, we can set a customized keyboard shortcut to have the Color Info palette display RGB sliders.

On a hunch, in Customize Keys Preferences, under Palette Menus > Color Info > Display as RGB, I assigned the following keyboard shortcut:

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+H

Clicked OK to close the Preferences dialog box, and used my customized keyboard shortcut. Now I can switch from RGB sliders to HSV sliders quickly, any time I want.

The same keyboard shortcut for Mac users would be:

Command+Shift+Option+H

toastyovens
02-16-2007, 04:48 AM
1 ... it defaults to RGB
2 ... why cant Corel make it so we can type in HSV values in the color palette instead of forcing us to waste valuable real estate!

Little annoyances are Painter's main forte. Also space wasting user unfriendly interfaces .

Why can't Corel Painter X rip off Corel Photopaint X3's 'color info', it wouldn't be hard because they are the same company. CPP X3 is good at optimizing their real estate.

And yeah, make the color triangle big, and don't use triangles, use a frikin big square, instead of wasting space using a triangle. And put an option for size of the square for the space hoggers....

Or maybe I am just wasting my time whining at corel? lol

Her0d
02-16-2007, 10:39 AM
There's no need to make the color triangle resizable or bigger or anything, cause there are some rumours that Wacom is planning to make a medium priced 'color palette' module for Cintiq's, and that the Painter XI will have support for it ;)

jimmy-paillet
02-16-2007, 12:22 PM
dude, ok then... buy me a cintiq and then i'll stop asking Corel a resizeable palette....

toastyovens
02-17-2007, 12:34 AM
There's no need to make the color triangle resizable or bigger or anything, cause there are some rumours that Wacom is planning to make a medium priced 'color palette' module for Cintiq's, and that the Painter XI will have support for it ;)

I'm sorry to crash the party, but I think that's silly. IF the rumor was true, which I would suspect A VERY BIG if) then Corel should kiss my ass.

One word: LUDICROUS.

Kaivoo
03-06-2007, 10:51 AM
I love painter. but i need more cool design , more ergonomic .

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/RyokiShiki/PainterOpinion.jpg

1) Combination between circle and triangle maybe give more colour space & more ergonomic.

2) Plz make tools background Transparentcy (white area in the picture above)

3) Tablet Pressure setting Brush by Brush.

4) To move the canvas , using A,W,S,D keys like computer games.

5) Select Brush in my custom palette by using hotkeys. (Like choosing Weapon in cs-srike or Unreal ,)

Painting is my Game . I need GAME HOTKEYS .

jimmy-paillet
03-06-2007, 11:54 AM
oh.... you like hotkeys...

you might be interested by this post i wrote over at ConceptArt...
http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87151

how to create missing hotkeys for Painter...
to the brushes, to change color, whatever you like....

Munk
03-06-2007, 06:32 PM
I would like to see two features added to the Colors palette. The first would be the ability to enlarge the S/V Triangle ring area, either automatically or by right-clicking inside the S/V ring. More important would be the ability of users to select the magnification setting. Second, would be the ability to make incremental up or down scale S/V adjustments using assigned keys. This would make tiny S/V adjustments quick and accurate every time.Munk

Datameister
03-06-2007, 09:07 PM
I like the larger saturation/brightness triangle, Kaivoo, but using a Reuleaux triangle instead of a circle for the hue is kind of pointless. It looks like it saves room, but it doesn't. The palette would still be just as big. I also like the transparent background idea for the palettes, but that could be confusing to manage.

brenly
03-07-2007, 05:10 AM

brilliant! One problem .. Im an artist not a programmer, that code stuff looks very daunting.

jimmy-paillet
03-07-2007, 06:50 AM
brilliant! One problem .. Im an artist not a programmer, that code stuff looks very daunting.

i can assure you it's not...it's very very simple
the main task is basically writing something like that in the notepad:
mousemove(somewhere)
click
mousemove(another place)

i can help you if needed...

John Keates
03-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I have often thought that I would like the colour picker to be larger, particularly at the corners. I agree that expanding the corners to make it more like a circle could be handy.

RiKToR
03-09-2007, 11:43 AM
21" @ 1600 x 1200 makes that triangle very tiny on my machince but in my thought Ill take some other fixes then asking for a resize. Though inputing values as opposed to sliders would be help full as well.

jimmy-paillet
03-09-2007, 11:45 AM
21" @ 1600 x 1200 makes that triangle very tiny on my machince but in my thought Ill take some other fixes then asking for a resize. Though inputing values as opposed to sliders would be help full as well.

you can do that already....
color info palette....

Tirjasdyn
03-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Indeed. I was wondering all the time if there are people out there who actually use that thing with RGB turned on? It seems so abstract to me to be choosing colours with RGB sliders...:argh:

anyway, it's just one of those things I let a silent sigh out about when I am trying to enjoy what I am doing...

From a web graphics standpoint (which is what I come from) RBG makes more sense...that whole converting from hex to rgb and back again...I didn't deal in cmyk or hsv until I started using painter and photoshop...took awhile to get my head around...I still rather do rgb and later convert to Cmyk if I need to print.

brenly
03-09-2007, 11:58 PM
i can help you if needed...

when I get motivated I will take you up on that ... its just that lately Ive been finding myself in Photoshop more and more.

toastyovens
03-27-2007, 07:38 AM

Thanks a lot for this tip. I have tried that and it's not hard like I first I thought it was, after reading the manuals for those litte programmes that is.

Now I am able to assign keys to my custom brushes from my preloaded tracker, assign brush expression settings and nudge the hsv info settings by using simple keystrokes!

It's like having someone else move your mouse for ya! LOL!

Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2007, 07:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.