PDA

View Full Version : measures for modellin characters???

D2s
02-10-2007, 07:38 PM
hi, i have a question, that is made because i had troubles with the animation after the modelling.

i need to know if there are limits about measurement in mters inch or any unit when you model a character like a maximum and a minimum. i modelled some months ago a character who was bigger than the grid plane that appears in perspective viewport of the 3dmax. when i put him cloth, and i simulate i notice that the cloth dont react good with the animation, i change parameters more heavy, but the same result.

its necessary to model a character that have the size aproximatly of the grid plane?, bigger than the grid?, or smaller than the grid.

its better use some kind of unit?

and the last thing and something different if someone model an architectural. and the measurements are in meters, the units in max would be in centimeters??

sorry for the large post

:P

brro
03-01-2007, 10:04 AM
hi, i have a question, that is made because i had troubles with the animation after the modelling.

i need to know if there are limits about measurement in mters inch or any unit when you model a character like a maximum and a minimum. i modelled some months ago a character who was bigger than the grid plane that appears in perspective viewport of the 3dmax. when i put him cloth, and i simulate i notice that the cloth dont react good with the animation, i change parameters more heavy, but the same result.

its necessary to model a character that have the size aproximatly of the grid plane?, bigger than the grid?, or smaller than the grid.

its better use some kind of unit?

and the last thing and something different if someone model an architectural. and the measurements are in meters, the units in max would be in centimeters??

sorry for the large post

:P

read my words caerfully my friend:
1-there is no use for the measures if you want to model a character....you must model your fella about 2 units tall ( its good for cloth simulation ).
2-if you made your fella too big....do a uniform scale on it then reset the xform of it by pressing the (reset x form in the utilities) then reset the scaling pivots.
3-don't go outside the grid don't......do your models inside 2 units or 4 units for the characters.....don't go outside or your cloth will go bad locking and bad animation.
4-for the architectural do the same advices....and use a render system that do not care for the unit parameters lik the brazil r\s.

the golden role for the modeling : keep your self in the gridimages/icons/icon8.gif...stay in the generic unitsimages/icons/icon8.gif.

twedzel
03-20-2007, 01:28 AM
I would ignore the above post.

Most Cloth solvers and dynamics in general are based on real world scale. So if you model your character to be real world scale, you will know that the cloth solver will be set up by default for said scale. Most cloth solvers also have a scale conversion parameter. So if you model your character to be 1/10 scale, you know that you can set your cloth solver to be 1/10th scale as a baseline to start tuning from.

Saying this, cloth takes alot of tuning to get it to react well on a character. If you model to a specific scale, then the cloth will generally behave better.

newellteapot
03-20-2007, 10:12 AM
As a modeller, the riggers, cloth fx artists, lighters and so on, always asked me to make my models of a realistic scale. So, for example, a person is around 1.70 m

Everything works better if you keep it real. The Max units are not centimeters or anything else, just Max units.
Hope this helps
Monica :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2007, 10:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.