PDA

View Full Version : Polycount for 3DSM

biffen
02-26-2003, 01:06 AM
What's the easiest way to see how many triangles your model has in 3DSM? Under File-->Summary Info, you can see the face count. Is that triangles or polygons or what? My model is for a game, so its very important that I'm understanding exactly how hefty the mesh is.

Sorry for the newbieish question.

RatPoiZon
02-26-2003, 01:37 AM
you have to apply a "Turn To Poly" modifier and in it set polygon size to 3 vertices. That'll convert everything to triangles.

To see the actual count go to utilities and select polygon counter after clicking on the "More..." button or adding a button into the defaults for easier access later on. Usually when u model and get the polycount with quads u'll have to double that to get the actual polycount with triangles, since a quad is made up of 2 triangles. So when u model check out the polycount and just double that to get the rough idea of what your final count will be.

biffen
02-26-2003, 02:18 AM
thank you much. Everything I wanted to hear.

chrisdejoya
02-26-2003, 02:21 AM
if you're using 3ds max 5, (and i think 4 too...) the default key press for seeing the polycount in the viewport is '7'. it will show you how many triangles there are in the object you ahve selected.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.