PDA

View Full Version : White when using brushes on layers

Glenfx
02-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I think averyone has this happening... but i think im the only one who doesnt know how to solve it.

When I paint on a new transparent layer the stroke paints some white first (specially the acrilic brushes, but most brushes do this)

Its quite annoying when all i want to do is add extra detail or change things I dont think im going to keep.

Is there a way to remove the white from the brush or avoid it from applying??

(im using painter 9)

Drevious
02-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Just activate "Pick up underlying color" from Layers window, so it get colors from a canvas, and avoid this white paint.

cheers

Jinbrown
02-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi,

Brush variants that have blending and smearing characteristics will paint with white in the brush stroke unless you're painting on existing color (paint white on transparent areas of a Layer).

Solutions, each of which has side effects, so you'll need to experiment to find the one that works best in each situation:

1. In the Brush Controls' Well palette, move the Resat/Resaturation slider to 100% and the Bleed slider to 0%.

Side Effect: The brush variant no longer has blending and smearing characteristics.

2. At the top of the Layers palette, check the Pick Up Underlying Colors box so when you paint, blending is done with underlying colors instead of the transparent Layer.

Side Effect: If you ever want to add different colors below the Layer, you may find yourself in a mess because those new colors will contrast with color blended on the Layer with previous underlying colors.

3. Make sure you only paint on existing color on the Layer.

Side Effect: You may not want color on the Layer before you begin painting.

4. Use the brush variant only on the Canvas level.

Side Effect: This may limit your freedom to paint the way you like to.

zhuzhu
02-10-2007, 12:57 PM
try to set layer blend mode to " Gel "

Jinbrown
02-10-2007, 01:12 PM
try to set layer blend mode to " Gel "

That's another option but it, too, has a side effect:

Any color painted on a Layer set to Composite Method Gel will be transparent and darken underlying color.

That may be OK, or it may not, depending on the effect you want. Test to be sure it is what you want.

zhuzhu
02-10-2007, 01:16 PM
That's another option but it, too, has a side effect:

Any color painted on a Layer set to Composite Method Gel will be transparent and darken underlying color.

That may be OK, or it may not, depending on the effect you want. Test to be sure it is what you want.

haha, you are right. so, my idea is "no layer", just work on Canvas.

Glenfx
02-10-2007, 03:06 PM
OOOOOH, THANK YOU VERY MUUUuuch!!

zhuzhu I didnt know about the power of GEL (I thought it was just a variation of multiply) but the way i tested it.... its just marvelous to build up color tones.

Jinbrown & Drevious That is what i needed, I had the idea that the pick underlying color was for some sort of cloning tool =P

Thank you guys

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2007, 03:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.