PDA

View Full Version : textured game model for review!

gshouston
02-26-2003, 01:09 AM
Hi everybody, I have recently finished a low-poly game character for an unreal2003 mod a bunch of people are working on. The model is 1986 triangles large, modeled in XSI, unwrapped and textures in Maya, soon to be rigged and weighted in Maya as well, before I go forward with skinning and the like, I was hoping for some (constructive) critisizm on my model. I know the face is sorta wacked out, but any opinions are welcome.

(this is my first low poly model.....ever)
thanks a bunch to whomever replies!

low poly game model (http://gamestudies.cdis.org/~x2/artdaily/ghouston/ghouston.htm)

xasteycracker
02-26-2003, 04:51 AM
First of all the elbow look like they come out to far or the wrist is too skinney anywhoo you should fix the arms. Also i ask "Why so many polys in the face and hand since you are going to texture them". But beside that the model looks ok

gshouston
02-27-2003, 01:34 AM
Well, I dunno about the elbows, they seem alright to me, but I can try changing them and see what they look like. Also, I was planning to have a face rig for this guy, expressions and the like, shouldn't be to hard on the game engine... That's why I modeled eyebrows and lips and eyeballs, etc.

Anyone else?

Tylak
02-28-2003, 06:13 AM
it looks really good, I have no issues with the geometry. The only thing that stuck out in my mind is that the face looks more realisistic than any other part of the body. Mainly the hands vs the face.

But other than that, GJ! low polys too!

sadist
02-28-2003, 07:02 AM
Pretty good effort, although facial animation seems a little excessive for a >2k model. The count could go down quite a bit, and he looks like he's a fodder character anyway...

The body generally looks good, although the knee, elbow, shoulder and butt topology could be better to facilitate animation. You'll get past these tech problems the more characters you do.

Proportion wise, the head could be a little smaller, unless this was your desired style.
The rim segment around the toe of the shoes is a little excessive too, either pad it out to hold the shape better or kill it.
I'd exagerate the cuff extrusions a bit more too, through texture and mesh, as this detail won't be as noticeable from a distance.

And what's going on with the shoe/lace textures?

For more detailed crits, post untextured facet shaded views, and a sideish profile. It looks like a few edges should be turned but its hard to say from the shaded pics

All in all, it's a great first model, be proud :D

jistyles
03-01-2003, 09:29 AM
Visually, this character works well - proportionally and anatomically correct to a point, although it looks like it's a stylised adult with the proportions of a child - if this is what you're going for then good job.

Alright, I'll start with the model. I presume you're coming from a highend background? In the low-poly mines, we work on a per-tris level. If a single tris doesn't sufficiantly add to the model in a noticable way, then cut it.

You've given a bit too much accomadation in the joints, and perhaps not enough in the shoulders. There are a LOT of places you could optomise - Model with the silhouette in mind, considering convex and concave detailing in this respect. the silhouette is arguably the most important aspect, giving primary detailing. Secondary is texture detail, and tertiary is vertex lighting. Keep these things in mind at all times. The hairs silhouette is quite sharp, but concave areas are taking up a lot in that area. Optomise, baybeee! :)

Next up is the texturing - very bland, and seemingly photo-sourced. Photo-sourcing is generally looked down upon for obvious reasons - the skin tones don't match, the light source isn't static, and the continuity of the skin is broken. Dig in to your favourite games and see how they go about making their skins. Study them, then paint your own.

Sorry if this post seemed harsh, I just don't sugar-coat my crits :D

gshouston
03-05-2003, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the posts everyone! I've got some sweet imput from everyone here and the people over at cgchannel!

I did a skin test on the character a little while ago and found at that (as opposed to popular belief) the character actually deforms not too badly!:buttrock:

I see some people got weirded out by the edge loops around the joints, but they work, so hey!
Also, I see I failed to mention that the face texture I used in that picture was just a placeholder, as I ripped it off and do not intend to use it on the finished game model. I got countless people gaging about the face and how it was too stretched, made the head look too big, etc. At first I refused to believe that the head was too big, that it was just the texture placement, but now I see that other people have pointed that out too, so I think I'm gonna change it. Once again, thanks everyone, and if anyone thinks there's anything else missed here, keep on talkin!:xtreme:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.