PDA

View Full Version : Rookie in need..what order do i layer passes in and what kind of channel?

PeaceOfMind
02-25-2003, 11:26 PM
Hey guys,
For the first time in my life I'm compositing a film and I've used Maya's render layer function to render out shadow, beauty, color, diffuse, and specular passes. My dilemna now is that I have no idea what order to put them into AfterFX (or Premiere) and what kind of transfer mode (i.e alpha, luminance, add, subtract, etc) to use...

Can someone help a young fella out? Thanks a lot.

Chris
02-26-2003, 12:31 AM
you can use various modes to create different looks, but I guess 'usually' Specular & Reflection would be 'Add' Diffuse, Colour, Beauty would be 'Multiply' (should be the same thing - does Maya have 3 different passes, Beauty, Diffuse & Colour? I wonder what the difference is, unless 'Colour' is Diffuse Level, in that case you would comp it using 'colour' or 'saturation' transfer mode)

as for order, Chuck your Background at the bottom, followed by Diffuse/Beauty/Colour, Diffuse Level, Shadow, Reflection, Hilight/Specular, Atmospheric

1armedScissor
02-26-2003, 02:04 PM
a great book to check out is "The Art & Science of Digital Compositing" by Ron Brinkman. It is very in depth about discussing all aspects of digital compositing.

PeaceOfMind
02-26-2003, 06:28 PM
golly...its such an artform in itself, i thought just plain basic pass compositing would be a simple standardized process.

<but I guess 'usually' Specular & Reflection would be 'Add' Diffuse, Colour, Beauty would be 'Multiply' (should be the same thing - does Maya have 3 different passes, Beauty, Diffuse & Colour? I wonder what the difference is, unless 'Colour' is Diffuse Level, in that case you would comp it using 'colour' or 'saturation' transfer mode)>

oh..yea...in Maya you don't have to manually render passes, it has a function that just splits up a single render for you into passes, and they come out to the 5 i mentioned above (beauty, diffuse, color, specular, shadow), so its sort of throwing me off when I look up compositing information online because apparently most compositors use a different standard of passes (i.e. diffuse and color should be the same thing to some).

Chris
02-26-2003, 07:42 PM
yeah, it does seem a bit wierd... What does the docs say about the Beauty, Colour & Diffuse passes. The Colour could be diffuse level (eg the amount of saturation let through from the diffuse pass). Perhaps the beauty pass is only available on female character renders? LOL :D

amp
02-28-2003, 09:58 PM
I would look into Digital Compositing In Depth and Digital Lighting & Rendering.

These are 2 great books that helped me out a lot.
If you down want to purchase it, go to your public library.
And check if they have it, if they dont Reference desk can always check other libraries....and the other library can transfer it to your library so you can check it out.

:C)

-Ank

runna
03-01-2003, 04:45 AM
You don't need to render out all 5 passes in Maya, some do similar things to each other and will only confuse you.

Beauty Pass - This is a full standard render.

Colour & Shadow Passes, these two add up to make a beauty pass. The colour pass contains all the diffuse and specular info, basically everything excepts shadows.

If you want to tweak the specular highlights in post as well as the shadow layers, you can render out the diffuse and specular channels separately instead of the colour pass.

i.e: Diffuse + Specular +Shadow = Colour + Shadow = Beauty

I think its all outlined in the help.

You can also render out alpha pass for transparency and z-depth pass, which you can use for things like depth fog and depth-of-field

Andrew
:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.